• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Do You Know Your Market?

Carlos Gonzales

As we go about our merry way doing what we do i.a. house wash, commercial....are you paying attention to customers when they inquire or ask you if you wash roofs?

If they do ask about it do you just say "no..I don't do that"?

Roof cleaning is a rapidly growing segment in the power washing industry folks. Take a look at ALL opportunities in the washing business.

Roof cleaning may not be prominent in your area today but don't be suprised that it won't be tomorrow. Are you ready?

Florin Nutu

As we go about our merry way doing what we do i.a. house wash, commercial....are you paying attention to customers when they inquire or ask you if you wash roofs?

If they do ask about it do you just say "no..I don't do that"?

Roof cleaning is a rapidly growing segment in the power washing industry folks. Take a look at ALL opportunities in the washing business.

Roof cleaning may not be prominent in your area today but don't be suprised that it won't be tomorrow. Are you ready?

In our area, roof cleaning is the prominent service. About 75% of my business is roof cleaning. AND I DONT LIKE DOING ROOFS. Its a treat when I get to do a house wash or deck resto.

Carlos Gonzales

In our area, roof cleaning is the prominent service. About 75% of my business is roof cleaning. AND I DONT LIKE DOING ROOFS. Its a treat when I get to do a house wash or deck resto.

Florin is up in the Pacific Northwest and I would imagine because of the amount of rain...this is something that is in demand..roof cleaning.

Florin...is there alot of roof cleaners in your area? Is it a competitive market?

Florin Nutu

Florin is up in the Pacific Northwest and I would imagine because of the amount of rain...this is something that is in demand..roof cleaning.

Florin...is there alot of roof cleaners in your area? Is it a competitive market?

There is very big demand here. Because of the rain we get moss that will eat a roof in no time. Its a must for homeowners, its not just an appearance thing. There is alot of roofcleaners here but I dont tthink it is cutthroat with pricing as I hear other parts of the nation is. The hurdle is educating the customer on getting their roof cleaned with a low pressure process instead of getting their roof blasted. The only way to do this is doing a treatment of the roof first and then coming back 5 weeks later after the moss is dead to remove the moss. Most customers dont want to wait and end up going with the butcher.

plainpainter

I had one roof job last year - and the reason they called is they saw a crew washing next door neighbor's roof using high pressure. Of course they didn't the number - so they saw my ad and I sold them on low pressure washing.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Carlos,
We clean roofs here in NJ as well. We use low pressure. Last year our company washed around 25 roofs.We pick and choose which roof to clean very carefully. We make sure there are no defects what so ever,not too steep and location to landscaping. We get from .40-.50 cents per sq ft. We have all safety equipment that OSHA requires, ie harnesses, tie offs you know. There is a company in our area (I think its a franchise) that does just roofs called Roof Shampoo.

Jim Vanhandel

DJ Carroll

Jim, I've seen the Roof Shampoo signs in our area too. I believe that it is a regional franchise of sorts.
Roof Shampoo has a video that comes up with my description on you tube lol

In my direct market there is no other proper roof cleaning companies. once you hit L-ville or or cincy there are a few but I'm the only one in between and i love it . . . .

BASIC BUSINESS: Supply low Demand high = Price is high

Its either me or a dirty roof right now and i love that right now!!!! :clap:

Ken Fenner

Roof cleaning is an untapped market in the majority of the US. DJ nailed it right on the head. Roof cleaning can be very profitable because there is basically no competition out there. I've been waiting for people to start realizing that you actually can clean a roof so it won't cost as much to market it. By the same token, advertising roof cleaning probably gives a great return. The first to market always captures and retains the greatest share. Jim, our rates are very similar.

DJ Carroll

Carlos,
We clean roofs here in NJ as well. We use low pressure. Last year our company washed around 25 roofs.We pick and choose which roof to clean very carefully. We make sure there are no defects what so ever,not too steep and location to landscaping. We get from .40-.50 cents per sq ft. We have all safety equipment that OSHA requires, ie harnesses, tie offs you know. There is a company in our area (I think its a franchise) that does just roofs called Roof Shampoo.

Jim Vanhandel

is this per the sq ft if the roof or house?

Jim Chesmore

I'm in south jersey and I have never seen anyone but me doing it around here. I like it that way. I know John and Jim do it in NJ but my resi work area does not go that far north.

CWheeler

I don't think anyone offers it in my area. There is a lot of dirty roofs here, and I'm ready to tap the market. I just need to come up with a good marketing campaign to educate customers that A- it can be done and B- there is a wrong and right way to do it. I want to be the first to tap the market here to get a strong hold on the market.

Greg Nash

I've been cleaning roofs for over 15 years in my area. I have actually seen a decline in my area,there was a time when I doing up to 20 roofs a week. I'm lucky now if I do 20 a year now but I don't realy go after that market now. I guess it could just be that there is about 200 roof cleaners in my area now.

Eric Flynn

Ha! We have just been talking about roof cleaning!

In our business plan, we outlined to begin to offer roof cleaning this year, in 2009. Its time to get the ball rolling!

:clap:

~Jen

precisionpower

That's our specialty Carlos! 75% of our business is Non-Pressure Roof Cleaning. Evansville & Newburgh have a lot of dirty roofs, with only one company cleaning them properly. that would be us! We are targeting multi-unit properties this year as well.

Great thread, Carlos!

As Florin and Greg mentioned, roof cleaning is a predominantly Southeastern and Northwestern niche business at this point.

We've been cleaning roofs in Florida for quite sometime now, but our sub-tropical climate is ideal for such a service.

I've traveled around the country over the years and noticed how it's never really been a priority, but that seems to be changing quickly these days.

Just a few short years ago there weren't any roof cleaning forums on any of the boards. All the roof cleaning information was lost in the pressure washing forums for those of us interested roof cleaning contractors. Now virtually all of them have dedicated forums.

As mentioned earlier, it's a niche market that's growing rapidly. Anyone interested should get on the train now.....it's quickly leaving the station.

Roof cleaning has a very nice profit margin, when marketed correctly.

Last edited:

Carlos Gonzales

I would have to agree Don. I myself have paid close attention to roofs these days even out here in Calif.

Though I dont clean them I certainly can see this segment of our industry in a "blossom" mode in which individuls should zero in on this service.

Your roof forum next door is loaded with solid ideas and suggestions that would be beneficial to anyone either doing this service or considering doing this.

Beyond the BBS arena there is not much out there on the cleaning application procedures or process. If there is...I stand corrected.