• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Warranties

Damaris Sutton

What kind of roofing warranty do you give and how long do you warranty it?

Also, does anyone on here get people on a roof cleaning maint contract as well.

Scott Davis

We offer a 2 year warranty. If there is any regrowth in that 2 years, we clean the whole thing again for free.

We do try an sign people up for a maintenance contract, not alot of people go for it though. I think it will be easier to get those folks to sign up by sending them postcards at the 2 year mark saying their warranty is out, and their roof is no longer covered. And it will be cheaper to prevent it, than to clean it all over again when it gets dirty.

Ken Fenner

DJ, why not offer a cleaning warranty with a maintenance contract?

When you sign up for our annual roof cleaning warranty, we will guarantee, in writing, that your roof will not only look fantastic but be free from damagin algae at all times. If anything grows back before your next scheduled maintenance, we'll clean it for free.

DJ Carroll

DJ, why not offer a cleaning warranty with a maintenance contract?

When you sign up for our annual roof cleaning warranty, we will guarantee, in writing, that your roof will not only look fantastic but be free from damagin algae at all times. If anything grows back before your next scheduled maintenance, we'll clean it for free.

That is what i do sorry for the confusion, I meant i don't give a warranty with out a maint. package. I tell them if they sign up we will come back every year and re apply and it will keep their roof looking new untill it needs replaced.

I do how ever offer a 1 year warranty on my wet wax package

Jeff Wible

I personally don't offer a warranty,..seems risky when surrounding properties could infect a perfectly clean roof and cause regrowth ALOT faster than would be normally expected. You could end up doing a customers roof free for the rest of the "roofs" life if they're in a badly infested neighborhood. I offer more of an "expectation" from past experiences with roof cleaning. I always say "You can expect at least two years before seeing any regrowth"

I will be pushing roof maintenance more and more because every shingle roof is a job possibility,...not just the infested ones.

Here in Central, Pa we have alot of roofs with heavy moss,...and I think these will generate more interest in maintenance,...simply because of the damage moss and lichen can cause.

Customers need to be made aware before any type of maintenance can be sold.

Jeff

Ken Fenner

Jeff, you would be surprised at the power of using the words, "we guarantee in writing". I do that with decks and housewashes.. 2 years. Since I have been doing that, and have done guesstimate 700 house washes and 600 decks, I have yet to recieve one call for warranty work. The "risk" is worth the selling factor. The numbers play out well.

Edit: I did get one call. A house had mold growing on a north side at the base in a tree lined area. I stopped by with a pump up, a bottle of outdoor Clorox and spent the 15 minutes honoring the warranty.

plainpainter

Maybe I should jump on the 'warranty' bandwagon - I had a woman ask me if I warrantied a house wash - I was kind of taken back, how can you warranty against mother nature?

Jeff Wible

What constitutes dirt is the real question I guess. Seems like a good way to get trapped into free cleanings offering warranties on roofs or house washes for two years,...just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it's good practice for the average washing business.

I haven't any competition to speak of within' 100 miles so maybe I don't have to sell on words of promise.

Jeff

Ken Fenner

Jeff, the numbers tell you everything in business. I'm not advocating that you should adopt everything you hear about. Just keep an open mind. There is nothing wrong with a warranty as long as you are willing to honor it. I am and I do.

Its just another sales tool that sets a company apart from the hack whose warranty lasts as long as you can see his taillights.

Jeff Wible

I guarantee the house or roof will be clean when I leave,...I am in control of that. I'm not in control of the weather, the lights that brings bug which brings spiders,.. or whats under their siding that may promote mold growth at a rapid rate.
If someone told me my house would stay spotless for two years I would figure that guy isn't living in the real world. There isn't a house anywhere that will stay spotless that long.( Spiders and bugs alone)
As I said, it's what constitutes "dirty" that would be in question. You're customers are living in the real world and are mostly just happy getting a good job,...and have no intentions on calling you back in a year because the spiders made a mess under the porch light.
I don't have to make promises,... simply because my work and reputation "warrants" my work for me.

Jeff

Damaris Sutton

I guarantee the house or roof will be clean when I leave,...I am in control of that. I'm not in control of the weather, the lights that brings bug which brings spiders,.. or whats under their siding that may promote mold growth at a rapid rate.
If someone told me my house would stay spotless for two years I would figure that guy isn't living in the real world. There isn't a house anywhere that will stay spotless that long.( Spiders and bugs alone)
As I said, it's what constitutes "dirty" that would be in question. You're customers are living in the real world and are mostly just happy getting a good job,...and have no intentions on calling you back in a year because the spiders made a mess under the porch light.
I don't have to make promises,... simply because my work and reputation "warrants" my work for me.

Jeff

Imagine the power of you coming back for minute detail. Out of 8 years I had one call back. It was not on something I performed, but rather something I left off. It gets real bright in Florida on a sunny day and I forgot to re-coat something and time had gone by of about 5 years. When the guy called me I promptly set up to go back. Took the 30 minutes to do the job and got the look of amazement. The guys friends were there and I landed 2 more jobs. They could not believe I still came back after 5 years. It was a great selling point of itself that attested to my word. I think it does well to have a go back once in a while.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff Wible

I do go back,...every time my customers need exterior cleaning services they call me,..and I go back,....and that attests to my work.
Repeat work speaks volumes as well.

Jeff

Scott Davis

We have 1 big competitor who offers a 2 year warranty, and it always gets brought up alot by prospective clients. We have to offer it. People are inherently lazy, and 1. dont remember what the warranty was, 2. take the time to call you even if they do notice something.

We have not had 1 call for warranty work. My dad does door refinishing. When he started out 2 years ago he offered a 5 year warranty!!! 2 years later he has refnished the doors for some of his first clients again, but only because they called him and were going to pay him to do it. Not 1 of them remembered they were offered a 5 year warranty, but he reminded them and did them for free.

We offer 2 years, and have been considering selling an extended 1 year for about 1/3 cost of the original roof cleaning. Its the same as selling a maintenance package, except it is pitched differently, and you get paid up front.

What do you think of that idea?

Scott Davis

Plus one thing we figured out was that our competition didnt offer a WRITTEN warranty. So we do, AND we point it out that we do at the time of the estimate.

Jeff Wible

Hi Scott, I'm not a warranty guy, I rarely take anything back I purchase, unless it's right out of the box junk.

I worked for Sears about 20 years ago and the salesmen were big on "MA's"
They were a big part of the sale for some of the guys, so selling an "MA" probably isn't a bad idea as far as that goes.

But with that being said, I shouldn't discuss warranty ideas, seeing how my opinion on warranting our services is what it is.

I suppose the difference is maybe the "competition" factor,...having to offer more talk than the other guy to get the work,...fully knowing most customers aren't going to call you back over spider crap under the porch light every week. I haven't any competition to speak of,..so maybe my views are based simply because I don't have to sweeten' my deal so the customer picks me.

As you fellas' say, you never have a call back on warranties,...well for me I've never had a customer refuse because I don't offer a warranty. I've had a few ask, but when I explain what their proximity to infested roofs and the infectious nature of the disease, and nature in general,... they fully understand. But they also like my years of experience and I can truthfully tell them what to expect out of their cleaning. This is also where it's nice to have "landmark" properties to refer them to and say,.."that was done 3 years ago",...or names and numbers from 3 years ago customers.
The real advantage anyone can have is several years of quality work,...no warranty needed!!

Jeff

Scott Davis

Let me clarify also. We only offer warranties on roofs. Not house washes. And it is only for algae regrowth, not leaves and such.

Do you think offering a warranty could allow you to charge more. Basically sell a warranty.

"The price for your roof is $500. However, for only $150 I can provide you a 2 year warranty which protects you from any regrowth of algae on your shingles"

If you are cleaning it right, it will not grow back in 2 years. If by some freak chance a house did start showing signs, it wouldnt be more than a few minutes to clean it.

Jeff Wible

Yea I know we got off the roof warranty issue a few posts back.

As for your "MA"

Some customers would go for that,..but I think most would say,.."Lets see what happens this time around" Especially if you tell them they can typically expect two years,..but the $150.00 would cover the " doing it for free" issue.

Jeff

Florin Nutu

I offer a 2 year warranty on moss roof cleanings. If they get moss regrowth I will treat it for free. For the average home I have done, moss has not regrown for 4-5 years. I have not had anybody call me back in the 5 years I have been doing this. I dont do it cause of competitive reasons... My reason for doing it is to show the customer that I stand by my work and it keeps me in front of the customer. I schedule them on a anual inspection of their roof. When i go to the inspection I point out what other areas that might need attention like their gutters are full or their driveway needs washed or their house has mildew growth on the north side etc. I very rarely go for an inspection and they refuse to have me do something else.

Chris Apple

We offer a guarantee with a complete roof treatment, but rarely get taken up on it. Most here generally are only worried about the bad sides and I don't press the issue.