• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Aluminum siding

Damaris Sutton

I have a aluminum siding house to quote. It has mold and pollutants along with vines that have grown onto it. What is the best method for removing the stuff left behind after vines are pulled off and the guys aluminum siding is not painted.

It has factory finish from 1970. What would be the best chems to get it clean?

Ken Fenner

Jimmy, I would walk from that job. 40 year old aluminum siding is going to be very oxidized. The first touch with bleach is going to start washing away the colorant and you could end up with a very streaky house and a PO'd customer. Add in that vine residue (which you will not remove without causing even more damage to the siding) and this job is a nightmare waiting to happen. Some of the best jobs were the ones I didn't do.

If you go forward with it, make sure your insurance is up to date.

Mike Schoeben

Those vine "suction cups" are nearly impossible to remove without physical agitation or abrasion. You WILL damage the surface, and the only option would be to repaint the siding. A nice up-sell job if you know painting.

Damaris Sutton

I looked at the job. The home owner realizes that he has let things go too far and that there is already some damage to the aluminum. I explained there is no such thing as maintenance free. There is "less" maintenance however.

He asked if I could paint. Boy oh boy. I can put a coat on it ajax will not take off. Anyhow, the vines are not attached to the house, but the sticky things are. I do not know the name for them.

I am going to break it down for him because he wants to cafe pick what is most important. I will direct him in the best possible scenario as to not allow things togo further south. I am upselling him gutter cleaning, brick paver clean and seal as well as a re sealing of all joints on the aluminum where the old caulk joints have failed, shutters, garage door and garage door buck needs to be scraped, caulked, primed and coated. This house has alot of Gems andJim will not hesitate to drive the point home.