• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Tennis Courts

SVPWLLC

Need help asap! New to the biz and have to quote 4 tennis courts. They are in great shape. Don't look very old. Not sure what they are made of. Rough surface... they are at a country club. Here are my questions:
1) Is a 20' Landa Surface Cleaner too much? (I'm using 5gpm w/ 3500 psi and a burner)
2) Does .03/sq ft sound reasonable? I'm in AZ...

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to get her the bid tomorrow morning.

Shane:confused:

Ken Fenner

Good god, man.. 3 cents a square foot???? That's the number for large parking garages or once per week multi chain accounts.

Use a sodium hypochlorite based mix downstreamed via dual lance or soap tip, wash with 300 psi (you can use a surface cleaner nozzled correctly). I just booked two tennis courts at 30 cents per square foot. You can easily damage the surface. Take your time and don't underbid.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
We just did three inside tennis courts that were about 10,000sq' which we got for .09 cents a sq'. It took 4 hours because I couldn't reclaim with my swabby due to having the tips so high off the ground and using 45 degree tips at about 200 degree heat. We had to chase the water to a pump to get it out of the facility which took the chunk of the time. We used a House wash mixture and the courts came out real nice. If I could have reclaimed the water we would have been out of there in 2 hours. Either way at $250/hr to wack up between me and my 2 guys I did OK.

Don't use to much pressure if you get those courts..Good luck.

SVPWLLC

Are you sh***ing me! That's like, $8500 to do this job! Good gravy! I wish...Lord knows I need it! These are full size 60'X120' courts and there are 4 of them. I don't want to underbid, but being new I would like to get their biz as they are a huge HOA here in AZ. By the way, I have a downstream injector, but what in the world is sodium hypochlorite and how do I get my pressure that low?????? Sorry, but I'm just a newbie...

SVPWLLC

These are 7200 sq ft each. Full size courts. I'm groovy with the housewash mixture but is the surface cleaner too much psi? From what I have found online, people are using power sweepers!!! If I dial my pressure down too much will the surface cleaner still work properly? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm new and very anal about doing things correctly...thanks for the help!

Florin Nutu

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you might be bitting more than you can chew if you go after this one by the sound of your response. Tennis courts are very easily damaged. If you still go after them.... Sodium Hypochlorite is Chlorine and is a mildewcide. It is the main ingredient that most use to remove mold, mildew while using LOW pressure. There are many ways to Lower pressure, dual lance wand, different orifice tips, etc. You should read up more on these methods using the search function. Either way don't underbid it. That is more of a specialty cleaning. Good luck.

Florin Nutu

Just saw your next response. Yes a house wash mix that has SHC will work. I am not a surface cleaner expert but I think it will still work at a lower psi cause the gpm is still there to spin it.

SVPWLLC

Too be honest, these courts look pretty good! I personally don't think any chemicals are needed. Just hot water and a little pressure. Just completed a commercial job requiring heavy degreaser on surface and hf on equipment and bay cleaning. I get the whole "use different tips and not too much pressure" thing now after speaking with you guys. I can handle that, but would still love to use a surface cleaner due to the size of the job. ideas?

SVPWLLC

Yeah...think i will call my local Landa guys and get their opinion tomorrow morning regarding psi and the pressure cleaner...So...what are your thoughts on pricing? My brain is all over on pricing and am trying to nail it down. Have got some awesome responses from other members so far...this site is frickin GREAT!

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I have a downstream injector, but what in the world is sodium hypochlorite and how do I get my pressure that low?????? Sorry, but I'm just a newbie...

Johnny T gave you really good advice, the .03 is very low for such a small job and they don't service them often.

They are truly easy to damage. If they are resurfacing you could use chems. I personally would not use chems on this surface until I tried hotwater at reduced pressure.

Call me, I can help you so you can bid these resonably.

The price will be somewhere between John T and you.

In NY they get alot more stuff and John needs to charge more. Country clubs tennis courts in AZ have a surface dirt that comes off fairly easy.

They are wanting the green luster to shine thru again.

Don M.

And when you get in with this HOA, they will expect cheap prices from you all the time since these prices are so cheap. Just my .02

SVPWLLC

Thanks Ron. I called but you didn't answer. Left you a message with my number. I'm thinking .05/sq ft, no chems just heat. Only concern is if I can use a surface cleaner. It seems like it would be fine. The surface is not old and beat up. It is a really tough sanded epoxy-like material. Actually, one court is the modular hard plastic type that lays on the existing court (must have been spendy).

SVPWLLC

Yeah, you're probably right. Thanks bud. Hell of a first job to bid for them, huh? Why couldn't it have been walkways or driveways or something? Hopefully it will lead to more work!

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
Thanks Ron. I called but you didn't answer. Left you a message with my number. I'm thinking .05/sq ft, no chems just heat. Only concern is if I can use a surface cleaner. It seems like it would be fine. The surface is not old and beat up. It is a really tough sanded epoxy-like material. Actually, one court is the modular hard plastic type that lays on the existing court (must have been spendy).

You have the right surface cleaner because you can adjust it. The landa Water jet is great.

Test and area all the way up with 25degree tips instead of 15degree.

try this number, 602-694-2680 cell

SVPWLLC

Thanks Ron. I spoke with a guy in Portland that manufactures and sells a "proprietary" court cleaner. Seems to be very knowledgable and a real nice guy. He's got me scared to death that my surface cleaner will destroy the court. Of course, he is trying to sell his for $3,850.00. Need to figure this out...will give you a call at the other number. btw, for you and anyone else, here is the website address to this tennis court cleaner. Looks like a hell of a system! http://www.cdiscompany.com

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
Thanks Ron. I spoke with a guy in Portland that manufactures and sells a "proprietary" court cleaner. Seems to be very knowledgable and a real nice guy. He's got me scared to death that my surface cleaner will destroy the court. Of course, he is trying to sell his for $3,850.00. Need to figure this out...will give you a call at the other number. btw, for you and anyone else, here is the website address to this tennis court cleaner. Looks like a hell of a system! http://www.cdiscompany.com

He knows me, he has been cleaning them as long as I have been in business. His son also works with him. Good folks

I would have posted the links but confused about the rules on Links?

SVPWLLC

Oops. Did not know that was not allowed. Sorry. From what I can tell, the Landa WaterJet can be raised about 3" high. I'm thinking that combined with either 25 or 40 degree tips should not hurt the surface. What do you think?

Tim Fields

From what I can tell, the Landa WaterJet can be raised about 3" high. I'm thinking that combined with either 25 or 40 degree tips should not hurt the surface. What do you think?

Shane,
According to Ken's post above, you should be looking for about 300 psi. The calculator at Barens http://www.barens.com/cgi-bin/calc shows that you would need a 20 tip to get your 5 gpm down to 300 psi. If you use a two nozzle surface cleaner you would divide the 20 by two and use (2) 2510 http://www.pressuretek.com/25dessno.html to get 300 psi from each tip. I've not tried this combination on a tennis court, so the final determination would be up to you.
I am sure that someone else could tell you how to calculate how high to raise a Landa to get a given tip to only hit the surface at 300 psi.

Russ Spence

Are you sh***ing me! That's like, $8500 to do this job! Good gravy! I wish...Lord knows I need it! These are full size 60'X120' courts and there are 4 of them. I don't want to underbid, but being new I would like to get their biz as they are a huge HOA here in AZ. By the way, I have a downstream injector, but what in the world is sodium hypochlorite and how do I get my pressure that low?????? Sorry, but I'm just a newbie...

he is right on we did 4 this year at 1600 each and I was wishing I was dead before we got done for doing it at that price

SVPWLLC

Shane,
According to Ken's post above, you should be looking for about 300 psi. The calculator at Barens http://www.barens.com/cgi-bin/calc shows that you would need a 20 tip to get your 5 gpm down to 300 psi. If you use a two nozzle surface cleaner you would divide the 20 by two and use (2) 2510 http://www.pressuretek.com/25dessno.html to get 300 psi from each tip. I've not tried this combination on a tennis court, so the final determination would be up to you.
I am sure that someone else could tell you how to calculate how high to raise a Landa to get a given tip to only hit the surface at 300 psi.

Tim, great info bud! Thanks for the barens link. I'm going to be calling Landa to get more info. Will keep everyone updated.