• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Chemical reaction to house wash mix??

Florin Nutu

This is the second time I encountered this within the last couple of months. I got a yellowish brown stain pop up after I apply my house wash mix. The first time it popped up only on the vinyl frame edges of windows. Second time was on painted hardiplank siding. It does not come off with scrubbing or stronger mix. Luckily I tried citric and it disapeared. So it has to be a reaction to the PH. Anybody encounter this or know what it is. Sorry no picks.

Ken Fenner

What do you use for house wash? It may be flash rusting. I had to have my chem house put an additive in my mix to prevent it.

Jeff Wible

I've seen what he's talking about Ken,...it's not flash rusting, as it happens on even aluminum window frames and and other aluminum trim. I always believed it to be failing paint and the Ph of the cleaners have a reaction on the paint. When this happens I use oxalic to bring it back ...INSTANTLY!!

Jeff

Florin Nutu

The first time it was a dawn with shc mix cause I ran out of the usual mix. I just figured it was something that the window makers might have smeared on the windows that had adverse reaction. The second time I used Russ's B-20 cleaner with the shc downstreamed. I mixed it 1 gallon of cleaner to 15gl shc which was on the weakside for the cleaner which Russ recommended 1/1. I could buy flash rusting... But it wasn't the whole wall or frame. It was just certain spots like something was applied to the area before hand which both customers denied ever doing so.

Ken Fenner

Hard to say.. I still vote for some type of metal oxidation/rust. The fact that acid removes it, the fact that a mix made for house wash was not being used (unless Russ's stuff is a HW mix?) and the color kinda point in that direction. Jeff, didn't you mention once that you also do not use commercial house wash mixes?

I don't do a ton of housewashes.. maybe 200 per year tops. I personally do maybe three so I'm going back to the days when I was playing with chem mixes and experienced flash rust pouring from areas I didn't expect and having the surfactant chemist tell me he needed to add rust inhibitors and something to buffer the bleach. Have not had the problem since.

Florin Nutu

Hard to say.. I still vote for some type of metal oxidation/rust. The fact that acid removes it, the fact that a mix made for house wash was not being used (unless Russ's stuff is a HW mix?) and the color kinda point in that direction. Jeff, didn't you mention once that you also do not use commercial house wash mixes?

I don't do a ton of housewashes.. maybe 200 per year tops. I personally do maybe three so I'm going back to the days when I was playing with chem mixes and experienced flash rust pouring from areas I didn't expect and having the surfactant chemist tell me he needed to add rust inhibitors and something to buffer the bleach. Have not had the problem since.

I think Russ's b-20 is a house wash mix. He can problably chime in with what is the base of it.

To me it looks like it is a reaction to something on there before.

Ken Fenner

It could be. you know how it is.. something always pops up that surprises you. It could very well be that I just have not yet encountered what you guys are talking about.

PS: On your other mineral staining question.. Call Scott at the Sealer Store. Something from Eaco might take care of it.

Florin Nutu

It could be. you know how it is.. something always pops up that surprises you. It could very well be that I just have not yet encountered what you guys are talking about.

PS: On your other mineral staining question.. Call Scott at the Sealer Store. Something from Eaco might take care of it.

Thanks Ken

Jeff Wible

No, I don't use a commercial mix,..but I believe that with most commercial mixes,.... bleach that has a high Ph,.. is the main added ingredient for killing mold and mildew. It happens on aluminum which completely rules out flash rusting. Also, it doesn't happen very often,..(1 out of 10) I'd say,...so that kinda' rules out the mix as the issue.

Jeff

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
This is the second time I encountered this within the last couple of months. I got a yellowish brown stain pop up after I apply my house wash mix. The first time it popped up only on the vinyl frame edges of windows. Second time was on painted hardiplank siding. It does not come off with scrubbing or stronger mix. Luckily I tried citric and it disapeared. So it has to be a reaction to the PH. Anybody encounter this or know what it is. Sorry no picks.

Guys,
We do around 400 house washes a year. We run into this type of staining once in a while and I can tell you that the yellow staining of the alluminum accually goes away with time. It is a reaction of whatever is in some paints on the alluminum. Dont fret ,just show the customer and explain this will not be permanent. You can throw some oxalic on it and that will brighten it immediatly.

Have fun! Keep washing out there!!

Jimmy V

Florin Nutu

BD20 is a butyl, sodium metasilicate mix with corrosion inhibitor, surfactants, and water softening components built in.

Thanks Russ. So that rules out the flash rusting unless it was because I mixed too weak a mix to the shc.

By the way Russ, your stuff worked awesome on the gutters and the other two houses I did.

plainpainter

This happens to me all the time - it looks like cedar bleed, from an improper vinyl installation {no insulation between the original clapboard and the vinyl}

I also think it may be a reaction with hornets nest materials - as I have seen these blooms come out from holes in the butts of the vinyl clapboards - holes that could of only been made by a hornet or something.