• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Oddest thing found in Gutters?

Carlos Gonzales

What is the most oddest thing you ever found in a gutter while you are cleaning them?

I have a question for Steven from CleanFastUSA. Hey Steven, when you do your pool maintenance...any horror stories?

... came round the corner of a home to a terrible stench - I knew instantly that it was something dead (horribly recognizable smell of rotten flesh that you will always remember!!).... anyway, I go to open the pool cage door and notice a mound of hair floating in the pool. My heart sank, I thought I was going to have to pull a dead body out of a pool...

turned out to be a raccoon that had died in the pool (this pool was on weekly service, so a week's worth of soaking in the water had caused it to rot and BLOAT!!!)... carefully scooped it out with my skimmer net and threw it in the scrub at the back of the property. The smell was one of the worst smells I have ever come across. :ack2:

Too many other stories to tell... live snakes in skimmer baskets, dead snakes in pump strainer baskets, geckos climbing into my filter wash hose without me realizing... turn hose on... SPLAT, they are caught up in the variable spray garden hose nozzle (cleaning that out is no fun), half naked people at pools, dead rats in pool, dead rats BLEACHED WHITE in pools, 2 inches of sand across whole bottom of pool, 6 inches of mud in pool from flooding.

From my days in commercial indoor pools I've had to remove feces and sanitary products from pools... (God, I feel sick thinking about it!!!)

Then there's the usual more job related horror stories of pumps running dry and trying to find air leaks at valves and joints in the plumbing on th suction side of pump, crazy people stealing filter cartridges and leaving lid off filter - I turn up and the pool is drained.

... oh yeah, just after New Year I turn up to clean a pool and there's a honda civic crashed over the inground spa (someone has enjoyed the New Year festivities a little much and crashed through the garden fence, pool cage and got stuck on the spa... funny stuff. :biggrin:

What about you Carlos, you must have some stories to tell from out in the field?!?!?!

Last edited:

Carlos Gonzales

... came round the corner of a home to a terrible stench - I knew instantly that it was something dead (horribly recognizable smell of rotten flesh that you will always remember!!).... anyway, I go to open the pool cage door and notice a mound of hair floating in the pool. My heart sank, I thought I was going to have to pull a dead body out of a pool...

turned out to be a raccoon that had died in the pool (this pool was on weekly service, so a week's worth of soaking in the water had caused it to rot and BLOAT!!!)... carefully scooped it out with my skimmer net and threw it in the scrub at the back of the property. The smell was one of the worst smells I have ever come across. :ack2:

Too many other stories to tell... live snakes in skimmer baskets, dead snakes in pump strainer baskets, geckos climbing into my filter wash hose without me realizing... turn hose on... SPLAT, they are caught up in the variable spray garden hose nozzle (cleaning that out is no fun), half naked people at pools, dead rats in pool, dead rats BLEACHED WHITE in pools, 2 inches of sand across whole bottom of pool, 6 inches of mud in pool from flooding.

From my days in commercial indoor pools I've had to remove feces and sanitary products from pools... (God, I feel sick thinking about it!!!)

Then there's the usual more job related horror stories of pumps running dry and trying to find air leaks at valves and joints in the plumbing on th suction side of pump, crazy people stealing filter cartridges and leaving lid off filter - I turn up and the pool is drained.

... oh yeah, just after New Year I turn up to clean a pool and there's a honda civic crashed over the inground spa (someone has enjoyed the New Year festivities a little much and crashed through the garden fence, pool cage and got stuck on the spa... funny stuff. :biggrin:

What about you Carlos, you must have some stories to tell from out in the field?!?!?!

Steven....I am not sure I can top that. In gutters I have found dead birds, dead rats, dead possums...the usual.

I was doing a house wash one year and the lady was elderly (wheel chair bond). She had two irresponsible day care workers that was suppose to care for her. Apparently these two girls decided to take off for the afternoon. After a little bit I walked by the kitchen window and noticed this elderly lady kinda slumped over in her wheel chair. I tap on the window and she kinda looked up at me and motioned for me to come in. When I walked in the smell hit me hard. She accidentally soiled on herself...man.

I called 911 and reported the two young girls for elder abuse. Poor lady!

Mike Cooke

I have found pot and crack pipes, booze and beer bottles, a sex toy, tons of newspapers, needles oh the list goes on

We were cleaning the balconies of a condo complex once and someone had a marijuana tree on the balcony. Whats so funny about this is my guys came back down and got plastic to cover it up. LOL!! They were worried about killing it!!!

Florin Nutu

An eyeball....

It was a rubber bouncy ball that looked like an eyeball (halloween I guess). It was lodged in the downspout lookin up at me. Pulled it out and the gutter flowed empty by itself. Easiest gutter job I have done.

Kory Finley

Earthworms how the hell do they get 2 story up in the gutters? I have seen it time and time again.

I have seen dead birds stuck kitchen exhaust fans at a chineze fast food place oh and it was carmelized.

back to gutters ratts, dolls, kids toys and the worst of all LEAVES!

Bryan Otten

We a cleaning some gutter out on story once couldn't tell you what it was but I can tell you the smell was so bad one of the guys that was up there helping me clean them out :pukey:every where. Then he had to clean up that next:yes:

:saai:

Florin Nutu

Just found a rain forest in the gutters of a home I did yesterday.

Pulled out a freakin tree out of the gutter. Took a pic of it on the ground next to my trusty broom to show the size of the thing.

Attachments

• CLINTON GUTTER 1.jpg
    CLINTON GUTTER 1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 32
  • CLINTON GUTTER 2.jpg
    CLINTON GUTTER 2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 36
  • GUTTER TREE.jpg
    GUTTER TREE.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 35

Michael Tessaro

I found a live pigeon just behind the filters in a hood. It was 30 + feet to the fan. Dont know how long he was there either. Scooped him up and set him outside and he flew off after a few minutes.

Florin Nutu

I found a live pigeon just behind the filters in a hood. It was 30 + feet to the fan. Dont know how long he was there either. Scooped him up and set him outside and he flew off after a few minutes.

You probably screwed up the cooks day.... he was saving that for dinner.

Pigeon is actually pretty good.

Bryan Otten

I was wondering if anyone found tadpoles in some gutters I cleaned out yesterday that is the weirdest thing I have found in gutters. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: