• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

UAMCC Featured In The American Window Cleaner Magazine

Carlos Gonzales

It is good to see industry publications reaching out to the UAMC like The American Window Cleaner Magazine. This article was published in July.

The UAMCC would like to thank Norman Finegold, President of TAWCM, Karen Grinter, Creative Director and also Gary Mauer for their support and exposure for the UAMCC.

www.awcmag.com

This article is being published with the consent of The American Window Cleaner Magazine.

Update: The “Other” Industry Associations

July/Aug 2009

Several years ago, American Window Cleaner Magazine profiled several of the industry’s young and growing trade associations to give each group the opportunity to share what they envisioned for their future and how they intended to carve out a niche for themselves within the window cleaning community. All of our industry’s professional networks – both big and small – have become increasingly important resources for window cleaners, particularly as the economy takes its toll on many in the industry. This year, we decided to revisit some of these organizations (including one newcomer, the United Association of Mobile Contract Cleaners) and find out how they have fared over the past year and what they are doing to grow their membership and provide support for their members in these difficult times.

The United Association of Mobile Contract Contractors (UAMCC)

The UAMCC is not an entirely new organization, but has undergone significant changes over the past seventeen months under the guidance of a transition team led by Carlos Gonzales, owner of New Look Power Washing.

“As a contractor, I had always felt that there was a void for representation of people in our industry,” Carlos explains. “I had a vision for a new organization that would represent contractors at a personal level.” In February of 2008, this vision led Carlos into a conversation with Robert Hinderliter, founder of the UAMCC.

“Robert asked me what I would do if I were given the opportunity to run the UAMCC,” Carlos continues. “For the next hour, I gave Robert my ‘I have a dream’ speech where I basically laid out my vision for the UAMCC: that I would rebuild the organization on the basis of transparency and with the understanding that contractors’ needs would always remain at the forefront of our mission.”

At the end of the discussion, Robert asked Carlos when he wanted to get started; and thus, the “new” UAMCC was born. Carlos began to formulate a plan. “First, I looked across the industry to identify individuals with the attitude and business savvy to be a part of the transition team,” he says. “Initially, we kept all of our plans very quiet because I wanted to make sure that the organization was exactly what I wanted it to be before we reintroduced it to the industry.”

To this end, the transition team decided not to accept any new members until they had built a “solid foundation” that would enable the UAMCC to last a long time and live up to its new vision. In an effort to preserve the integrity of the new UAMCC vision and maintain control over its new direction, the transition team did not accept any outside private or industry funding to support the rebuilding efforts.

“The contractor community was very gracious to afford myself and the transition team the latitude necessary to give us our time and accept the notion that we could reinvent ourselves to be bigger and better,” Carlos continues. “They really deserve a lot of the credit because they allowed us to ‘work our magic’ within the walls of their industry.”

Patience paid off for Carlos and his team. On April 1, 2009, the new UAMCC officially opened its doors to new members at a training seminar in Albany, NY. “From that day on,” says Carlos, “it’s been a full-time endeavor for myself and the entire transition team.”

True to his original vision, Carlos has moved quickly to initiate plans for the UAMCC that make it an organization dedicated to the needs of the members it serves (which include contractors and suppliers). For example, the UAMCC hired a full-time “procuring agent” whose primary responsibility is to “park jobs” and business opportunities in front of UAMCC members. “Our agent will go out and find jobs for pressure washing, window cleaning, exhaust cleaning…you name it,” Carlos says. Each week, the UAMCC sends these contracts out to the general membership for them to look at and potentially bid on. The UAMCC website also has a section where potential customers can fill out a form to request services online – these leads are automatically filtered through the membership database and sent to members based on geographic location. In the last sixty days alone, the UAMCC has secured 26 independent contracts for its members, including a 16-state contract for one vendor and a nationwide commercial cleaning contract with Target retail stores for another vendor. Supplier members also receive job and equipment referrals through the same system.

“We want to keep our members busy, and give them a benefit that has real dollars attached to it,” says Carlos. “We’re looking to build our network of window cleaners because we’ve grown to the point where we keep getting slammed with window washing contracts but don’t yet have the membership among window cleaners to respond to all the opportunities.”

Looking forward to 2010, the UAMCC has several large initiatives that it would like to pursue. The first among these is to build a public awareness campaign aimed at educating the public on the pressure washing industry. “We want to show that what we do is a carefully-orchestrated process employing highly-skilled professionals,” Carlos says. One of the UAMCC’s other goals, according to Carlos, will be evaluating compliance around the Clean Water Act. “Historically, when you mentioned the Clean Water Act within the pressure washing industry, we would all run for the hills,” he says. “Now, our goal for the UAMCC is to get contractors under the same roof once and for all and evaluate what the Clean Water Act really means at the contractor level.”

Now at approximately 100 members, the UAMCC will hold its first national convention this October in Orlando, Florida. Carlos hopes to use this event as an opportunity to reinforce the organization’s mission, and demonstrate what it has already accomplished for the contractors it represents.

“I want readers to know that the UAMCC gives its members a voice. If they call us, someone will answer the phone and I can guarantee that we will be attentive to their needs. If they have an idea, no matter how crazy it is…we will hear them out. We have an open-door policy as it relates to thoughts, ideas, and visions…we want contractors telling us what’s working and what’s not.”

The UAMCC’s emphasis on giving its members a voice is built into the structure of the organization itself. The association is legally owned by the membership, instead of a Board of Directors. Because of that, the organization cannot make any significant changes to its strategy or direction without a full vote from the members.

“Our contractors…these are the folks who are giving up their hard-earned money to be members,” Carlos concludes. “So they deserve a stake in it.”

The Window Cleaning Network

Since its establishment in 1996, the Window Cleaning Network has become an institution within the industry, differentiating itself as a free association supporting discussion, sharing of information, and networking among those in the window cleaning profession. Gary Mauer, founder of the Window Cleaning Network and email discussion group moderator, explains that his formula for success in the years to come is simply to “keep doing what we do best.”

“We work hard to make it a credible networking tool for the window cleaners, and we do it without the flame wars and inane chatter that you find all over the internet,” Gary says. “Those were all issues that we addressed early on in our history.” Gary also believes that despite the emergence of Web 2.0 trends that have been picked up across other industries, simplicity is key when it comes to making the network a valuable tool for the window cleaning community. “I believe window cleaning professionals will always appreciate that,” he says, “despite some of the other interesting networking opportunities like Twitter or whatever comes after that.”

The result of this philosophy is the Window Cleaning Network you see today: a free, open forum that allows window cleaners to easily communicate with one another about those issues and topics that matter to them. In addition to the online aspect of the organization, the Window Cleaning Network also organizes an annual picnic where window cleaning professionals can meet and socialize face-to-face. This year, the 13th annual picnic will take place on July 25 in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

For a free, online community like the Window Cleaning Network, opportunities to expand membership are virtually limitless. “More and more window cleaners are online every year,” says Gary. “And we’ve still only got a fraction of them involved in online networking.” While he recognizes that there’s “a lot of work to be done” in recruiting these networking newcomers, Gary also refuses to spam window cleaners in hopes of attracting more visitors to his site. “That’s one thing I will never do,” he states. “Instead, I still rely heavily on search engines and on my partnership with American Window Cleaner Magazine to promote the Window Cleaning Network.”

Gary’s partnerships with other industry associations and publications are vital to the Window Cleaning Network’s success; a testimony to the importance of collaboration and cooperation among the various interest groups within the industry. In June 2009, Gary traveled to Finland for the Glass Performance Days conference, where he presented the window cleaner’s side of the fabricating debris issue. He credits members of the window cleaning community with helping him attend the event.

“I want to say that it was the AUWC, along with JBF [manufacturers of Triumph products], who were instrumental in jumpstarting the fundraising for my trip to Finland,” he says. “Without their initial support, I wouldn’t have taken the plunge.” Before too long, Gary continues, “dozens” of window cleaners, suppliers, and manufacturers from the discussion group stepped up to help sponsor the trip. “It was important, because it really got us on the glass industry’s radar,” states Gary.

As moderator of the Window Cleaning Network, and therefore an audience to the thousands of different voices, opinions, and stories that come out of the window cleaning community, Gary is in a unique position to spotlight trends and moods within the industry. When asked what he has noticed about window cleaners over the past year, Gary circles back to the issue of the economy. “I think the economic crisis has shown window cleaners to be a resilient lot,” he says. “They are networking as hard as ever.”

“Of course,” he admits, “some are hurting just as some are thriving…but the issue of the economy doesn’t come up in discussion as much as one might expect.”

Those in the window cleaning industry who have yet to visit the Window Cleaning Network discussion group (www.window-cleaning-net.com) would be wise to take a look. “The Window Cleaning Network is larger than last year,” says Gary. “And it continues to be the largest moderated window cleaning discussion on the Internet.”

Due to its growing number of followers, the Window Cleaning Network also enjoys the broadest advertising support of any online window cleaning community. According to Gary, the Network has approximately 900 active subscribers, but returning visitors to the site total closer to 4,000. “We have between 2,000 and 3,000 unregistered visitors following the discussion on the Web each month,” he says. “I made the decision a long time ago not to force people to register just to read what we’re discussing.”

This impressive following underscores how a simple concept can turn into a tremendous force within the industry. If nothing else, the success and reputation of the Window Cleaning Network certainly demonstrates the need for a cohesive community among window cleaners, and the desire for open networking and communication.

Master Window Cleaners of America (MWCoA)

The Master Window Cleaners of America association was established in 2003, with the goal of serving the needs of residential and route window cleaners (particularly smaller companies). When asked about some of the organization’s most notable accomplishments, MWCoA founder Jack Nelson admits that looking backwards is something he rarely does. “It’s interesting, you do things and then you move on to something even better…we are always looking ahead,” he says.

Jack does point to the Window Cleaning Hall of Fame as one of the MWCoA’s proudest achievements. Now in its second year, the Hall of Fame recognizes “the men and women who made what we do for a living easier and a more honorable profession.” New inductees are added to the Hall of Fame each year on April 10, in honor of industry giant Jim Willingham, who passed away on that day last year.

“I think it’s important that we honor those who have paved the road for us,” Jack says. “This industry was built on the ideas and hard work of visionaries…and their impact on the industry needs to be remembered and recognized.” Jack points out that the Window Cleaning Hall of Fame is not a part of the MWCoA (although it is funded by it) but rather “its own little entity.” Jack credits individuals like those who are honored in the Window Cleaning Hall of Fame as part of his inspiration for starting an industry association. “They are regular, down-to-earth people who had a vision and did something about it…they wanted to make a difference in their industry and that’s what I wanted to do too,” Jack explains. “I keep every issue of American Window Cleaner Magazine, and when I go back and read the profiles of some of these people who had the wherewithal to push forward and do what needed to be done...it’s part of our history and I wanted to make sure people who are new to the industry know about it.”

Jack believes that the Window Cleaning Hall of Fame is but one of the many things that differentiates the MWCoA from other industry associations. One of the organization’s goals is to make information, education, and professional resources readily available to its members through the association website. “We really offer so much in terms of information and resources – not only to window cleaners, but to the general public as well,” Jack says. And like many other aspects of the MWCoA, the website wouldn’t be possible without the support of its members. “Pretty much all the content on the website was contributed by an MWCoA member, and everything is done on a volunteer basis” Jack states. “You have to remember that we aren’t doing this as a full-time job…these are just regular guys taking time away from their business and their livelihood to contribute to our community,” he continues. “Everything we are is by the members, because of the members.”

When it comes to Jack’s “vision” for the MWCoA, it’s been the same since Day One, and will continue to drive the organization’s initiatives in the years to come: “Our goal is to make window cleaners more professional, because the more professional we are, the more money we make.”

Jack cites as an example the importance of liability insurance for window cleaners. “We want window cleaners to be safer, to have the right insurance, and to have a resource where they can turn to help them get it,” he says. “We view the association’s role at the national level as a trusted source to provide our members with those resources.” For that reason, the MWCoA website provides a wealth of information on this and other topics related to becoming a true window cleaning professional.

“Ideally, you want every window cleaner to do the right thing…have the right insurance, pay taxes on their business, because that makes it fair for all of us who are trying to do right by the window cleaning profession,” Jack says. “I hate to see someone trying to do the right thing get undercut on price by another window cleaner who’s operating without insurance coverage…that’s why really, the MWCoA is trying to be the organization that makes it easier and affordable for window cleaners to run their business the right way.”

Doing the “right thing” is an attitude that resonates strongly with Jack and everyone at the MWCoA. And the organization seeks to do the right thing for its members by keeping costs down, and making sure the benefits pay off.

“I remember when I was first looking to join an industry association, the cost was just a major factor for me,” Jack says. “At the time, I wished there was a way to have a simple, fair price structure that everyone could afford.” When he started the MWCoA, Jack decided not to set up the organization as a not-for-profit entity, because he worried that in doing so he would lose the ability to regulate costs and keep entry affordable to new members. Now, the MWCoA has one of the lowest costs of any association in the industry; no small feat, says Jack, “Once members see what they get from the dues they pay.”

One of the newer benefits that was added to the MWCoA last year was a no-fee sign up with Service Magic (a savings of $99 that more than pays for the first year of MWCoA membership dues). Given the association’s emphasis on providing information via the Web, it’s no surprise that members also have access to resources that will help them build their own online presence. “We host their websites for free and offer web development resources,” says Jack. “I would estimate that currently, about half of our members have their own website.”

Because the MWCoA is mainly geared toward residential cleaners, Jack doesn’t believe that the economy has had too much of an impact on the association’s member base. “I’m busier this year than I’ve ever been and for a lot of our members, business is definitely up,” he says. “Residential customers are usually a wealthy demographic and won’t cut back as much on ‘luxury’ services like you’ll see on the commercial side,” he explains. The MWCoA supports its members’ advertising and marketing efforts by providing professionally-designed, customizable flyers that members can brand and print themselves.

Jack won’t divulge all his strategies for recruiting new members, but does say that Internet searches and advertising play a large role. The MCWoA also holds two seminars each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. The next seminar will take place October 8-9 in California, and is expected to be the biggest seminar that the organization has had to date. This year alone, the MWCoA boasts 29 new members (putting total membership at approximately 300). When he does look back on where the association started just a few short years ago, Jack describes himself as “incredibly blessed.”

“I am so fortunate to have had so many wonderful people supporting this idea that I had…when I first started out, I never could have envisioned that we’d be where we are today.”

Support your Trade Associations!

As the success of these groups goes to show, all of the industry’s associations play an important role in representing the voice of window cleaners nationwide and advancing the interests of window cleaning professionals. Each association has its own vision and each has its own approach to serving the window cleaning community. We encourage readers to take a look at these groups and see what they have to offer.

UAMCC
www.uamcc.org
(800) 816-3240

Window Cleaning Network
www.window-cleaning-net.com

MWCoA
www.mwcoa.com
(301) 707-9651