• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

grease on roof

Marc Cournoyer

This question is for the grease pros , I received a call from a local burger place , that need grease removed from the roof ( hood guys wouldn't do it ???) hood is clean , the grease in the gutter is a half inch thick , that trail you see on the roof is thickest closer to the fan !/4 in , down to about a 1/16 near the gutter , wondering what the smartest way to attack this mess is ??
I was thinking of scraping off what I can with a flat drywall knife same with gutter then washing off the remainder with a degreaser ( What ever you pros recommend) Am I on the right track ?? Any thing Im missing ? Thanks in advance

What material is the roof? rolled shingle? rubber membrane?

Is it a flat roof?

Is the roof drainage good?

Are there any existing leaks in roof?

Be careful with this kind of job, can be a can of worms.

I had one last year that was a rolled shingle roof, KEC guys hadn't installed exhaust fan grease containment tray properly and grease was all over the roof - there was a bad roof leak to boot!

Over a period of time the fatty acids in the grease had affected the integrity of the roofing material.

My method was dry clean up with sand and kitty litter - mashed into grease, covered for 24 hrs, returned to remove 'absorbent' and grease with brush, some scraping, recoated and repeated process.

Didn't want liability of water affecting already leaking roof, so covered it in contract and clearly explained with shopping center GM and Restaurant GM the process to be used. I made sure to take photos of before, during and after the process aswell - they came in handy... six months later I get an email saying that I had damaged the Exhaust Fan Grease Containment and I was liable for roof repairs. Showed them the photographs Before, During and After (they all showed that nothing had been touched or moved) - they quickly pointed the finger somewhere else!!!

Just some thoughts for you. HTH :biggrin:

Marc Cournoyer

What material is the roof? rolled shingle? rubber membrane?

Is it a flat roof?

Is the roof drainage good?

Are there any existing leaks in roof?

Be careful with this kind of job, can be a can of worms.

I had one last year that was a rolled shingle roof, KEC guys hadn't installed exhaust fan grease containment tray properly and grease was all over the roof - there was a bad roof leak to boot!

Over a period of time the fatty acids in the grease had affected the integrity of the roofing material.

My method was dry clean up with sand and kitty litter - mashed into grease, covered for 24 hrs, returned to remove 'absorbent' and grease with brush, some scraping, recoated and repeated process.

Didn't want liability of water affecting already leaking roof, so covered it in contract and clearly explained with shopping center GM and Restaurant GM the process to be used. I made sure to take photos of before, during and after the process aswell - they came in handy... six months later I get an email saying that I had damaged the Exhaust Fan Grease Containment and I was liable for roof repairs. Showed them the photographs Before, During and After (they all showed that nothing had been touched or moved) - they quickly pointed the finger somewhere else!!!

Just some thoughts for you. HTH :biggrin:
It's a shingle roof , no leaks, pitched, check out the pictures in the hood cleaning section , drains underground I would have to contain , what is the best degreaser for this ?what a friggen mess , not sure if I want to grease up all my equipment for this one :toetap05: