• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Composite decking mold removal

tdemaree

Hey guys,

I cleaned a composite deck about a month ago and used oxygenated bleach as a cleaner. I was removing black mold spots they are about the size of a dime. The client just notified me that the black spots have returned. The deck is not in a shady area, no trees to drop stuff on it. I sound like an expert! any ideas on how to remove these spots?

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 75

Ken Fenner

Bleach and a surfactant brushed on. If it came back in a month it is because you did not kill all the spores properly the first time. The only way I have found to do that, without using excessive amounts of bleach (which fades the deck) is to brush.

Tony Szabo

Use a 10% bleach soultion and cut it back a bit. I would first start at 50% to 50%.
Dwell time is important, but don't let dry on deck.
Ken is right you did not kill the mildew spore.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
We use chlorine which is 12%Bleach solution and do the same methods as Tony does above.. It looks like you didnt kill the mold spores so there back.

Rick Petry

Timothy,

This is the worst mold/mildew/fungus/dirt I have ever seen on composite. First step was just a pressure water cleaning to remove all the surface junk. Second step was 12% sodium hypochlorite knocked down to 4% with a little Dawn soap as surfactant. Let it dwell for about 20 minutes and lightly pressure wash it off.

Disregard the smoke, I have a bad habit.

Attachments

• dscf0043web.jpg
    dscf0043web.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 92
  • dscf0012web.jpg
    dscf0012web.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 86

Brian Schrecengost

Contributing Member
12% 50/50 with some soap, no pressure.

We offer a product that makes the mildew not come back for two years. We have a lot of it and its $130 a gal, mixes 26 to 1. Any one want some call me 784 0961. Its good stuff.

Beth Borrego

I'll add to what Tony and Ken said, if it is farther into the substrate than the chems can migrate to work, it will come back again. It is possible to have it pretty far into the board. That is one problem with composites....

Beth

Damaris Sutton

Timothy,

This is the worst mold/mildew/fungus/dirt I have ever seen on composite. First step was just a pressure water cleaning to remove all the surface junk. Second step was 12% sodium hypochlorite knocked down to 4% with a little Dawn soap as surfactant. Let it dwell for about 20 minutes and lightly pressure wash it off.

Disregard the smoke, I have a bad habit.

You need to sell that photo to TAPPS. They would have a field day searching for ghosts lol.

Tony Szabo

Just speaking from experience here. You should not pressure wash composite decks.
You are forcing and driving to much water in the composite boards and the water does not excape like water does in wood. You are dealing with plastic and saw dust here and the procedures are much much different than every day wood care.

Now, when you pressure wash composite I bet you will have mildew return fairly quick, because the wood (saw dust) can not dry out quickly enough before mildew spors start growing in the substrate of the composite boards. We use garden hose type pressure only and scrub.

Just giving advise of our 400 plus composite deck we have serviced in the past, and extensive research with the Trex company Tech People.

Good Luck

David Besse

Just speaking from experience here. You should not pressure wash composite decks.
You are forcing and driving to much water in the composite boards and the water does not excape like water does in wood. You are dealing with plastic and saw dust here and the procedures are much much different than every day wood care.

Now, when you pressure wash composite I bet you will have mildew return fairly quick, because the wood (saw dust) can not dry out quickly enough before mildew spors start growing in the substrate of the composite boards. We use garden hose type pressure only and scrub.

Just giving advise of our 400 plus composite deck we have serviced in the past, and extensive research with the Trex company Tech People.

Good Luck

So generally just scrub the "house wash" mix in and rinse with low pressure. Great advice!

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
Interesting conflicting statements here. We also use the chlorine solution with composite and do not generally hit it with pressure. You can find lots of statements on this problem from various online sites. The problem is the wood does not get fully covered by the plastic and this allows moisture to penetrate into the wood and not dry, causing the growth under the top layer. It loves to grow into those egg shaped spots. Some interesting thing: If it is mold and sometimes it will be you cannot kill a mold spore 100% with any chemical. The spores must be removed. This is really not feasible with the composite as you cannot remove the spores without removing the wood they are infested in. So while it may look good for a while and if it's not mold it will look good even longer. The problem will persist and the mold will return.
A tip we discovered: If you let water soak on the deck it will help your solution penetrate faster as the surface tension under the plastic will already be broken. This means they come clean a lot easier after a day of rain.