• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Last minute advice anyone?

Soleil Shepherd

Jerry and I have a meeting tomorrow at Fed Ex. This could be pretty big for us. However they did not call us, I cold called them.

Now I'm panicking a little bit, I really want to get them! Problem is if they are satisfied with the guys currently doing the work, what should I use as my selling tool to get them to sign with us instead? Other than the fact that I am absolutely wonderful of course:clap:

Anyone have any tips on this one?

Florin Nutu

Jerry and I have a meeting tomorrow at Fed Ex. This could be pretty big for us. However they did not call us, I cold called them.

Now I'm panicking a little bit, I really want to get them! Problem is if they are satisfied with the guys currently doing the work, what should I use as my selling tool to get them to sign with us instead? Other than the fact that I am absolutely wonderful of course:clap:

Anyone have any tips on this one?

If they say they are satisfied with their current contractor, dont get discouraged. Just let them know that you will keep in touch and if the other contractors services starts slipping or if they need something in a pinch then they could call you.
Then you just keep in touch with letters and phone calls. Eventually you might get them.

I have found this business is a marathon and not a sprint race.

Carlos Gonzales

This has helped me in the past. Please feel free to use it. It is great for mailings and also leaving with people like FedEx after a meeting. :clap:

December 31, 2003

Matthew XXXX
Valley Farm Transportation
P. O. Box XXX
Dixon, CA 95620

Matt,

It was great speaking with you regarding the services that New Look Power Wash can offer Valley Farm Transportation. It is our hope that Valley Farm Transportation and New Look Power Wash can gel a relationship together in the near future.

I would like to offer our fleet wash services in an “as needed basis” for Valley Farm. I understand that your current fleet wash service continues to do an adequate job. The fit that I see with our company is that we would be utilized as a back-up vendor for your fleet washing needs. If your current fleet washer takes a vacation, calls in ill or if their services deteriorate ~ New Look Power Wash is readily available to step-in and fulfill the contract specifications.

Our intention is to ultimately win your business and under no circumstances will my company under-mind your current fleet wash service. Our purpose is to offer you an alternative if one of the above scenarios occurs with your current fleet wash service.

Our reputation and service speaks for itself. Having clients such as Chevy’s Fresh Mex Restaurants, Aldredge Enterprises, the Fairfield-Suisun Chamber of Commerce and a variety of Homeowners Associations throughout Solano county ~ New Look Power Wash has established itself as one of the premiere power wash companies in Solano county!

I will call you in early January to answer any questions that Valley Farm Transportation may have and also to see whether or not we can finalize this understanding that we spoke about on the phone. I would be more than willing to meet with you and/or another representative from Valley Farm Transportation.

Sincerely,

Carlos Gonzales
Owner
New Look Power Wash

DJ Carroll

use this line

"Mr. so and so how long have you been using the current company?"

-5 years

"and who was the company before that?"

-joeblo washing

"I see and Mr. so and so were you employed here when that switch occured?"

- yes

"Well then, by what you have told me you have seen in the past five years there was a need for change, or updating. What is to say that change or updating is not needed now. Give a trial run and I can assure you that we will go far beyond your current expectations"

Isaac Baghdanov

use this line

"Mr. so and so how long have you been using the current company?"

-5 years

"and who was the company before that?"

-joeblo washing

"I see and Mr. so and so were you employed here when that switch occured?"

- yes

"Well then, by what you have told me you have seen in the past five years there was a need for change, or updating. What is to say that change or updating is not needed now. Give a trial run and I can assure you that we will go far beyond your current expectations"

This is good! Thanks DJ

Soleil Shepherd

Thanks for your tips everyone :)
I took a peak in here before I left today and it helped me remember that we are proffessionals and we really do offer excellant service!

The scipts will also come in handy, as I HATE cold calling, this will make it easier to do!

The meet went great today. The girl was wonderful and made it quite easy for us. She offered her current rate and of course let us know that her bosses needed something cheaper.

The first question I asked was " In an ideal world, please let me know what your expectations are."
She of course told me, and those expectations are not very high. Of course we assured her that this is how we always do business:)

I'll be sending her the official quote on Monday!

I would like to say that I have a good feeling here, but I wouldn't want to jinx it...

RMedbery

I guarantee if you get it they will again be looking for someone cheaper. If I go on a bid and I hear "Were looking for someone cheaper" Ill add an extra 10-15% cause I dont really want them as a customer.

Soleil Shepherd

Very good point, but I don't think that was the situation here. They didn't come to find me, I called them. They were being overcharged and underserviced, very simply.

There are many divisions in this outfit and they are HUGE.

Her main concern was more the fact that they were coming and going as they please, never calling ahead so that the trailers that were backed up to the building could be backed out and have the backs cleaned.
Her allowing me to come and quote this was due to a lack of Customer Service more than anything else. This is my forte! Jerry gets the equipment/buildings clean and shiny and I make sure the customer's butt is clean and shiny:Smiley-2010:

In regards to the price, there is definately profitable room for movement. This
is not a situation where we will go in and lowball just to get the job.

dexter

Hey, pray about it. Works every time. Even if you don't get the gig, you'll know what was ment to be. I hope you do though!

Douglas Hicks

I guarantee if you get it they will again be looking for someone cheaper. If I go on a bid and I hear "Were looking for someone cheaper" Ill add an extra 10-15% cause I dont really want them as a customer.

Last week we were contacted by a saw mill, they were not happy w/the service of another company. I added 25% and got the job. We have set the first week of September for the first service. My tech and I will do a walk through, listing all the problems we find. I will agree with the Birthday Boy, they are looking for someone cheaper. Soon no one is makeing any money except the low-ballers. "We are looking for someone cheaper" is another way of saying, " We have no loyalty" They told you they are not satisfied w/the service, raise the price. The sales training people continually tell us that price is way down the list when people choose a service provider. Quality service is much higher than cheap price. Be proud, raise the price! Do you think Beth & Rod or Ken Fenner or Carlos are the cheapest in their markets?

Soleil Shepherd

Here's a question I will ask, what are you guys charging for a 15' pup trailer?

I am curious, or better yet, as I understand many won't want to list their prices; no brushing needed, how long would it take you to wash one?

Ken Fenner

They were being overcharged and underserviced, very simply.

That line concerns me. I'm not sure of your experience level but based upon your dialogue here, I am guessing it is limited in the realm of fleet washing. On what do you base your assumption that Fed Ex, a billion dollar company that controls costs with an iron fist, is overpaying for service? I have also heard from others that have said the same thing Don just posted. From what I understand you almost have to have a crew that does nothing but service them. Is your company multi-crewed? Do you have a handle on your efficiency rates, expenses and technique?

When a company mentions they are not being serviced to their standards that is a green light as long as they are willing to pay more. If they are looking for a lower price as well as better service that is a huge red flag to run the other way unless you have a ton of experience and can work them into your existing schedule. Tread carefully, Soleil.

Soleil Shepherd

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the mention of the cons by you and others.
It is important to examine these I agree.

Thanks to everyone, I am writing my proposal and am very confiden that even if we don't get the work it will be a nice professional proposal :)

My focus is on the benefits of our service, and our focus on our customers. I am confident that we are priced properly and not lowballing at all. With our set up and foaming system it is possible that we can simply complete the work faster than the other guy.

Being the cheapest price in town IS NOT THE ANSWER. Confidence in your ability to do a fantastic job is the key.

When we go in for a garage, I always tell them up front before the meeting, "If you are looking on the cheapest pricing, then I am not your man". We do not and will not hack the job. I right away seize their attention.

Then when I go in, I know that the pricing thing is off the table. Now all I have to do is convince them that I have the better service. I go in confident, and sure of my product. I always look them in the pupils. I want to get into their stomach. I do not over think the situation.

There are many closes one can use. Depending on the clothes they are wearing, their attitude, gramme they use, I will choose the approach. I usually choose the Ben Franklin close for someone who is mentally like a CPA. That works 90+% of the time.

Always keep 3 to 6 approaches on the table with 2-3 good closures. Listen to you client, he ( Or she) will tell you have they want to be sold. Body language is very important.

Ah, I could go on and on.... Been selling for 30 years.

Mike Cooke

Being the cheapest price in town IS NOT THE ANSWER. Confidence in your ability to do a fantastic job is the key.

When we go in for a garage, I always tell them up front before the meeting, "If you are looking on the cheapest pricing, then I am not your man". We do not and will not hack the job. I right away seize their attention.

Then when I go in, I know that the pricing thing is off the table. Now all I have to do is convince them that I have the better service. I go in confident, and sure of my product. I always look them in the pupils. I want to get into their stomach. I do not over think the situation.

There are many closes one can use. Depending on the clothes they are wearing, their attitude, gramme they use, I will choose the approach. I usually choose the Ben Franklin close for someone who is mentally like a CPA. That works 90+% of the time.

Always keep 3 to 6 approaches on the table with 2-3 good closures. Listen to you client, he ( Or she) will tell you have they want to be sold. Body language is very important.

Ah, I could go on and on.... Been selling for 30 years.

Great post Jim!!