PDA

View Full Version : Overheating + wire



Florin Nutu
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
My wire that runs from the positive side of the battery to the silanoid of the starter is overheating when I try to crank the machine on. It melted my silanoid. Bought a new one and It starts to overheat even when I only crank it over for a few seconds. Whats going on here?

Carlos Gonzales
09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
My wire that runs from the positive side of the battery to the silanoid of the starter is overheating when I try to crank the machine on. It melted my silanoid. Bought a new one and It starts to overheat even when I only crank it over for a few seconds. Whats going on here?

How old is the battery Florin?

Greg Nash
09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
your starter might be dragging.

Florin Nutu
09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
How old is the battery Florin?

Its a new battery. 2 months old tops. That reminds me... I go thru batteries like crazy. About every siz months they are cappoot. I keep bringing them back to Les scwhab and they keep replacing it with a new one due to the warranty.

Florin Nutu
09-01-2009, 11:40 PM
your starter might be dragging. Dont understand " dragging". It is a fairly new starter as well. 6 months old. Could i have not installed it right?:saai:

Jim Cooney
09-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Bad ground ????

Florin Nutu
09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Bad ground ????


???????? I hate being mechanically dumb.

RMedbery
09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Theres not much to a starting circuit on a small engine. You have a battery, solenoid, starter, and associated wiring. All 3 components have been changed, did this start happening right after you changed one of them? If so, I would look there, if not, Id start with the free stuff first. Make sure all wiring is in good condition and their connections clean and tight.

Mike Schoeben
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Is this a 12V skid? If so, that battery is also running your burner. They will die quickly if you don't maintain them regularly.

Sound like a bad solenoid. They stick open and the current draw is too much for the positive wire. It heats up , then melts.

Mike Schoeben
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Florin,
I missed the part that said you already replaced those parts. I'd check the ignition switch next.

Michael Tessaro
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
make sure the battery wires have clean tight connections. Also the 2 battery wires have to be of substantial size. too small of wiring will cause resistance which causes heat which melts wiring. did you change the wire running to the solenoid? sounds to me like a loose connection somewhere, either on the pos or neg wire. also the battery should last for years not months. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/ has a wiring diagram.