• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Protective Clothing

Kevin Palladino

Contributing Member
Hello, I need some help here. Recently I was using rubber gloves for a gutter cleaning job and still recived chemical burns on my forearms. Does anyone know where I can purchase a good protective outfit that will allow me some flexibility?

Thanks

Lonnie Greenwood

Hello, I need some help here. Recently I was using rubber gloves for a gutter cleaning job and still recived chemical burns on my forearms. Does anyone know where I can purchase a good protective outfit that will allow me some flexibility?

Thanks

why are you use chems that burn to clean gutters just use dish soap and a scrub brush they come clean with out using the chems that burn and a lot cheaper and safe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ken Fenner

Most of the gutter cleaning chems contain butyl or a hydroxide and will cause burns if not rinsed off or neutralized. To get gutters clean you actually have to remove a fine layer of the finish. That requires a potent chemical. They make PVC/chem gloves that go up to the elbow. I don't sweat stripper or other caustics getting on me in small doses. When I am done, I neutralize with some lemon juice and rinse it off.

Jeff LeCours

I think you need a better technique to apply the chem. I very very rarely ever got any gutter chem running down my arms. get a long arm pole, soft truck brush, dunk in chem, knock off excess and apply and a decent pair of gloves just in case
You don't have to be swimming in chems to get the black streaks off of gutters. Be careful

Randy Borio

I learned this trick in Haz-Mat school, turn up the last few inches of the end of the glove to make a lip to catch the run off from the hand of the glove if you are using caustics etc. I like the dish soap or simple green idea better.

cmturner

Hey Jeff, thats the way that we use to do our gutter whitening but we have found a much better trick for it. Over on a window cleaning board I heard this idea and now we have used it all season and it works great. We just mix up a small spray bottle of F13 and water and spray it directly on to the brush head and scrub, works out great and uses alot less chemicals. Plus it cuts down on the drips.:yes:

Jeff LeCours

Hey Jeff, thats the way that we use to do our gutter whitening but we have found a much better trick for it. Over on a window cleaning board I heard this idea and now we have used it all season and it works great. We just mix up a small spray bottle of F13 and water and spray it directly on to the brush head and scrub, works out great and uses alot less chemicals. Plus it cuts down on the drips.:yes:

Smart idea Curtis, you got to always be finding ways to do our jobs better, safer and more cost effective

John Doherty

This is what these boards are all about!!

Thanks Curtis!!

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
That of course has to be balanced against the time. I would think it takes longer with the spray bottle. $1 or $2 in lost chems versus 15 -30 minutes in lost time?

Not saying it is wrong, just wondering.

Jeff Wible

I have found that when cleaning gutters, the black streaks in particular need to dwell in the cleaner for a minute or 5 to loosen them up so they can be easily brushed clean.
Seems easier for me to apply the product to the gutters with a sprayer and then brush them,...instead of applying with the brush. Just seems like too much extra brushing,.... at least for me.

For those of you who have a compressor as part of your rig, you can use 2 gallon pump sprayers with a tire valve installed to add the air instead of pumping.

Get one of the air chucks with a trigger and a gauge built in so you don't over do it with the air.
You can also use spare air tanks if you haven't a compressor.

Jeff

Last edited:

Douglas Hicks

I have found that when cleaning gutters, the black streaks in particular need to dwell in the cleaner for a minute or 5 to loosen them up so they can be easily brushed clean.
Seems easier for me to apply the product to the gutters with a sprayer and then brush them,...instead of applying with the brush. Just seems like too much extra brushing,.... at least for me.

For those of you who have a compressor as part of your rig, you can use 2 gallon pump sprayers with a tire valve installed to add the air instead of pumping.

Get one of the air chucks with a trigger and a gauge built in so you don't over do it with the air.
You can also use spair air tanks if you haven't a compressor.

Be careful if you use an air compressor, the tank can blow up. Adjustable Pop-off valves are also available. An aquantance used a compressor to pressurize his weed sprayer, when it blew up, he got chemical all over his manly parts. no one cared to ask if his root died.

Last edited:

Jeff Wible

Being careful should be second nature to anyone in this line of work. The fella who blew his tank up was simply careless.

I've been doing this for over 10 years without incident. It's not hard to control air flow into a tank with a triggered air chuck and a built in gauge.

Jeff

Jillian Shelton

Contributing Member

Thanks

Here is a link to chemical resistant gloves. If you dont have a harbor freight in town you can order them, cheap. Harbor Freight
There may be other gloves on there that are chem resistant.
I dont know anything about gutters so have no input on that.