• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Hot Water Machine

Kevin Palladino

Contributing Member
Recently I have been approached to do some concrete flat work at some area businesses. My only problem is I have a cold water machine. Can you guys refer me to a good hot water machine that will take gum, tar, etc off sidewalks? I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be plugged in and can be mobile.

Thanks

Guy Blackmon

Kevin, best thing to do is keep an eye on craigslist and ebay. I don't know what your budget is but you should be able to pick up a Hot Water skid unit with trailer and tank for around $3500.00 to $5000.00.

The unit should be 5 gpm or higher. It may seem like a lot of money, but it will pay for itself in no time.

Good Luck!!

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Kevin...ditto on what Guy said. Also, did you receive my email. I hope what I put in it helps. I sent it this evening over to you Kevin

Kevin,
Do your homework before buying a hot water maching. You should buy a 120v unit with a generator attached as so you will have less problems in the long run.Also ask yourself if you plan on running two guns off one machine.If so you are going to need an 8gal min unit and for the money you will be spending its better to buy bigger right off the bat. We utilize an 8gal minute unit and run 2 flat surface cleaners from it and it works perfect. We can clean an average burger king in 2-3hrs this way($7-800dollars). Yes it will pay for the additional cost in just months.

look up Power Wash Industries and do some reading.

Good luck!

Jimmy V

Jim Chesmore

Kevin,
Do your homework before buying a hot water maching. You should buy a 120v unit with a generator attached as so you will have less problems in the long run.Also ask yourself if you plan on running two guns off one machine.If so you are going to need an 8gal min unit and for the money you will be spending its better to buy bigger right off the bat. We utilize an 8gal minute unit and run 2 flat surface cleaners from it and it works perfect. We can clean an average burger king in 2-3hrs this way($7-800dollars). Yes it will pay for the additional cost in just months.

look up Power Wash Industries and do some reading.

Good luck!

Jimmy V

Jim, what size surface cleaners are you running with your dual set-up?

Kevin Palladino

Contributing Member
Hey Thanks for the info. Yes Carlos I did receive the email.

Most likely I will purchase something in the 5gpm area. I really don't need a two gun system as I am a one man show. May take me longer but I take all the profit.

Craigslist is a good site as well as Ebay. I'm trying to stay away from Northern Tool because they seem to be closeouts.

Thanks

Guy Blackmon

By all means stay away from Northern Tools PW's, they are not contractor grade equipment.

Look for for names like Alkota, Landa, Hydro-Tek, MTM, these are quality machines.

I will disagree with Jimmy on 110v vrs. 12v, I have a Alkota 5.5 hot skid that is 3.5 yrs. old, 1200hrs. on it and is 12v, it is a work horse, no problems.

Now if you have an 8 gpm Hot water skid (We have 2), then I would def. want the power of a 110 generator powering the burner.

I have had a 12v burner back in 1989 thru 2000. Always something wrong with the electrical every 6 or 8 months.

Depending on what is your dollar amount for your budget, Landa appears to have the better quality in my opinion.

Alkota has the better pricing and are very decent machines for general pressure washing.

MtM copies Landa design

Hydro Tek is in the middle, not allot of options

Again, All of my opion...

What is important is the BTU's

This is where they ( The Manufactures ) will " Cheat" on the unit.

The higher the BTU's the hotter the water in most cases. ( Vertical vs horizontal will or may impact the heat out put) I would take a look at "as much heat as I can afford". Try if possible to reach 600,000 BTU's for a 8 GPM machine. I still think this is too low, but it would be a good starter. Also check to see how much of the fittings are made in China VS USA. And NEVER believe the phrase " UP TO 220 degrees at full load" Ask them to prove it by a test run. Take a Pressure/Temp Test Set ( http://www.pressureparts.com/None-C-Tools-Pressure-Part-449048.aspx ) Any dealer will have one of these.

1. If you have an extra hose, bring it with you before testing, connect the hose to the 50ft hose that comes with the unit. Most use 200 ft of hose... try to do the same. Reel out the hose all the way... un coiled.
2. Unit in the shade on a cool day ( Reason, most of us work at night )
3. Put this gauge at the end of the hose between the gun and the hose quick connect.
4. Run the unit in an open gun position. DO NOT open and close the water flow.
5. In 4 minutes, check the temperature at the pressure rating.

6. Then cool the machine down to 100 degrees or less. Then start all over again. When you hit the temp as before, then turn off the flow and on the flow with the gun, waiting 3 minutes to 5 minutes between open gun and closed gun. This will simulate the working conditions. You will be able to see the temp difference and how the motor is handling the stress.

You want at least 200 degrees for gum removal. The hotter the unit, the better it will be for the removal of stains, oil, food bi product, efficiency.

For Cement, you will need at least a 5.5 GPM at 3,500 PSI or greater.

8 GPM is fantastic for rinsing

Soft cement, 2 to 3,000 psi with a 8 GPM

Parking Structures or concrete 6 to 6.5 @ 5,000 PSI

Water recovery, 6 GPM

Randy Borio

Hey Kevin, check out a local rental house (R.S.C. or Sunbelt) and make REAL good friends with the Counter guys. They can tell you when a good machine will be coming out of the rental fleet. They also have all the service records from when the machine was new. You never know you might be able to get a 2 year old unit with a rebuilt motor, pump, and burner with the coil de-limed for like $1500 like a guy I know did. (me)

Douglas Hicks

I have had a 12v burner back in 1989 thru 2000. Always something wrong with the electrical every 6 or 8 months.
quote]

My Delco upright burner was purchased about 1999. It is use for kitchen work. I carry extra micro-switches, pressure swithces. When I have a problem, I change both switches and keep working. I have not had much problem with my 12v Beckett burner. I have replaced the transformer, the blower wheel and the whole burner once, in 10 years.

Tomdurbin

Contributing Member

Depending on what is your dollar amount for your budget, Landa appears to have the better quality in my opinion.

Alkota has the better pricing and are very decent machines for general pressure washing.

MtM copies Landa design

Hydro Tek is in the middle, not allot of options

Again, All of my opion...

What is important is the BTU's

This is where they ( The Manufactures ) will " Cheat" on the unit.

The higher the BTU's the hotter the water in most cases. ( Vertical vs horizontal will or may impact the heat out put) I would take a look at "as much heat as I can afford". Try if possible to reach 600,000 BTU's for a 8 GPM machine. I still think this is too low, but it would be a good starter. Also check to see how much of the fittings are made in China VS USA. And NEVER believe the phrase " UP TO 220 degrees at full load" Ask them to prove it by a test run. Take a Pressure/Temp Test Set ( http://www.pressureparts.com/None-C-Tools-Pressure-Part-449048.aspx ) Any dealer will have one of these.

1. If you have an extra hose, bring it with you before testing, connect the hose to the 50ft hose that comes with the unit. Most use 200 ft of hose... try to do the same. Reel out the hose all the way... un coiled.
2. Unit in the shade on a cool day ( Reason, most of us work at night )
3. Put this gauge at the end of the hose between the gun and the hose quick connect.
4. Run the unit in an open gun position. DO NOT open and close the water flow.
5. In 4 minutes, check the temperature at the pressure rating.

6. Then cool the machine down to 100 degrees or less. Then start all over again. When you hit the temp as before, then turn off the flow and on the flow with the gun, waiting 3 minutes to 5 minutes between open gun and closed gun. This will simulate the working conditions. You will be able to see the temp difference and how the motor is handling the stress.

You want at least 200 degrees for gum removal. The hotter the unit, the better it will be for the removal of stains, oil, food bi product, efficiency.

Its funny how much the new German owned Landa came back and now has copied Mi-T-M's skid design. The old SGHW Landas true work horse is gone. Karcher has bought Landa, Hotsy, Shark, Tuff and Cuda. Shut all of those plants down and moved most of the production to Mexico. They fired most of the old timers that made Landa great and even Charge to quote a custom built machine. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have prior to purchase. I can help.