• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Homeowner writing own contract

Don M.

So I have a homeowner Ive been dealing with foe 2 weeks now. He doesn't understand how I am going to wash his house using no ladders or scaffolding.

So I email him asking if we are moving forward. He responds today saying his wife is writing up a contract for me to review and sign. He's asked me at least 6 times about insurance. My gut tells me he has an issue and I'm going to get the blame.

So would you wait for the contract or tell him to pound salt?

David Vicars

Don, I would wait for the contract. What's the worst that can happen?
You tell him to no thanks after you get it. I wouldn't burn a bridge just yet. You never know.
If he is anal over things, he could be your best advertising.

Ken Fenner

Dear Homeowner:

I understand your hesitancy and desire to get a high quality job on your home. There are unscrupulous contractors out there that prey on unsuspecting homeowners with lip service and empty promises. I can assure you that I am not one of them. We are both taking a leap of faith in this transaction. In your due diligence you can contact my references, view my online picture portfolio and verify my insurance. I extend my trust by allowing customers to pay for services upon completion.

Though I realize you have good intentions, I cannot and will not review and/or sign a contract drawn by a customer. The contract I will present to you protects both of us and has been refined over my years in business. If you would take a moment to reflect from a differing point of view, how would my customers feel if I made them sign a credit check release before I performed any work? I would never put my customers in that position. Both of us have to feel confident that this project will go forward smoothly. If during our two weeks of dialogue I have not given you that confidence, I am at fault.

I have attached my contract to this email for your review. If you would like to get on the books so we can get your property in tip top shape, I will forego a deposit and accept payment at job completion. Please sign and date where indicated.

Thank you for the opportunity to beautify and enhance your largest investment!

Don Marler

Don, make that contract ironclad with terms for collecting interest on late payments, the filing of a mechanics lien after 60 days of non payment and for the recovery of court/collection costs. Disclude any problems you think this person may try to pin on you. I personally would tell this person to take a hike but you already have a good amount of time in it. The above is the way I would respond.

Good Luck!

DJ Carroll

Dear Homeowner:

I understand your hesitancy and desire to get a high quality job on your home. There are unscrupulous contractors out there that prey on unsuspecting homeowners with lip service and empty promises. I can assure you that I am not one of them. We are both taking a leap of faith in this transaction. In your due diligence you can contact my references, view my online picture portfolio and verify my insurance. I extend my trust by allowing customers to pay for services upon completion.

Though I realize you have good intentions, I cannot and will not review and/or sign a contract drawn by a customer. The contract I will present to you protects both of us and has been refined over my years in business. If you would take a moment to reflect from a differing point of view, how would my customers feel if I made them sign a credit check release before I performed any work? I would never put my customers in that position. Both of us have to feel confident that this project will go forward smoothly. If during our two weeks of dialogue I have not given you that confidence, I am at fault.

I have attached my contract to this email for your review. If you would like to get on the books so we can get your property in tip top shape, I will forego a deposit and accept payment at job completion. Please sign and date where indicated.

Thank you for the opportunity to beautify and enhance your largest investment!

Don Marler

Don, make that contract ironclad with terms for collecting interest on late payments, the filing of a mechanics lien after 60 days of non payment and for the recovery of court/collection costs. Disclude any problems you think this person may try to pin on you. I personally would tell this person to take a hike but you already have a good amount of time in it. The above is the way I would respond.

Good Luck!

CTRL+C, Open Word, CTRL+V, Save ..... ;)

Jim Chesmore

I have never had a customer like that but I put videos on my site to show people what and how we do soft washing. If they still have doubt then its their loss. I would never sign a contract they presented to me.

My business, my rules, do they tell their Dr. how to do his job, or the plumber, the cabinet maker??

I vote just walk away.

Randall Brooks

Ditto to Ken but I'd wait until I saw his contract just to see what his hang up was. I'd drag it out until it was too cold to do it "this year" then walk. I don't think I would want to just turn him down or take issue with it because he's going to think "ya thats what I thought" and tell everyone to the extent of bragging,,,of how he "caught" a contractor "not willing" to put his "word" on paper and use your company's name in the convo.
And also think about it's fall and stressing out any plants just prior to the dormant season might make them "go under" sooner than expected. And you don't want to get blamed for killing them and settling over the winter just to have them come back in spring with your money going for new mulch. Not that he's trying to set you up but just not educated about the subj. If thats what his hang up is explain and put in YOUR contract that you won't arbitrarily sign off on any plant life guarantee this late in the season due to this and see how he acts. That you would revisit the matter in the spring after the normal dormant period.
But over all I'd be Leary and try to slide out un detected without confrontation. Again put him off until it's too late "this year" then not call back in spring. He's less likely to go around bad mouthing you after months of it being off his mind and without the conviction of thinking he won a "gotcha" game.

plainpainter

If you are licensed contractor in some states you have to present a contract with certain writing/conditions the State wants - a contract a homeowner writes up with would harm your license status. I am learning you just have to be firm with folks - if they want to remain fearful, that's their business. Frankly there is an old French saying 'Those who accuse others, accuse themselves' Meaning if you have homeowner super paranoid about getting ripped off - it's probably because they are guilty of that themselves.

Jeff LeCours

I just wouldnt bother, sounds like some kind of a PITA. I just wouldnt spend the time and basically I would of laughed to myself and said sorry on him writing a contract

Even if he's perfectly honest and upright, he has issues. move on

Run Forrest...............RUN

Don you have had more than your share of flakes this year why add headache and grief to your life by dealing with lunatics like this.
I would wait for the contract that way you can post a copy and we can all get a good laugh.

Wesley Teston

RUN. You will lose money trying to please this customer. We all have had customers like this if you've been in business long enough. In the early years I tried to please everyone, but over the years I've learned to just walk away from jobs like this. We come across 2 or 3 customers a year like this, trust me pass on this job.

Indy Power Wash

I was gonna say run don't walk until I saw Fenner's response.

It brings the terms back to yours and says it politely.

Very professional.

You can't let customers set your rates or the terms of your agreement.

Damaris Sutton

You should have added to the topic. It should also read:

Homeowner Washing own house, breaking all seals in windows, powering paint off wood, gouging wood and falling from ladder after spending $300 for all materials and rentals and after spending 3 days to do so after work.... :clap:

Kemp Normand

You should have added to the topic. It should also read:

Homeowner Washing own house, breaking all seals in windows, powering paint off wood, gouging wood and falling from ladder after spending $300 for all materials and rentals and after spending 3 days to do so after work.... :clap:
That is something else to think about. It is possible that the homeownwer or some other contractor damaged his property and he wants you to pick up the tab. I would pass on this one. If it smells bad it is usually rotten. He sounds like he is more than just picky. He keeps asking about your insurance. Why?

Jim Chesmore

my guess would be that they have been screwed in the past by other contractors and dont want to take the chance of getting screwed again.

that being said, I stick to my first statement of walk away

Tom DeFrancesco

I would walk away. Not worth the aggravation for just a house wash. Would think differently if it was an entire complex. It seems the HO is begging to find a reason not to pay.