• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

What should I do?

Chad Johnson

So I cleaned a roof today for an older couple. In the middle of the job the neighbor approaches me and asks me to come look at her roof when Im finished. No problem.
I get there, we discuss the roof condition and I go over my process then give her a quote. She had no problem with it but wants to talk to her husband. In the middle of saying that he shows up.
He gets out of the car looking at me with an expression like"Who the hell are you?" I could literally feel the tension. I introduce myself and explain why I was there. He asks how much, I tell him the price and he says "We’ll let you know" I say, "That seems a little much for you huh?" He aks what my process was. So I give him my speal on everything and ask if they want me to go ahead and book the job. He said to book it but he thinks the price is too high. We talked about it and I tried to make him more comfortable with the price, but he still wasnt pleased.
I told them I would check my schedule and give them a call around the first of the week to plan a time and day for the work to be done. He just walked off so I got their information from his wife.
The wife was very understanding, he wasnt from the time he even showed up.

Yes it appears that hes "one of those".

I just don’t feel right about doing a job for someone who thinks their getting ripped off. People are always excited about getting their homes cleaned, hes not.

Im not lowering my price any, so I ask what should I do?
Suck it up, do the job and try to make him happy?
Walk away?
Run away?
Sorry so long.
Thanks

Ken Fenner

Just give him a couple days to mull it over. You know your service is worth every penny. I know what you mean about that buyer's remorse. I don't like customer's to have it either. Maybe you can email him before and after pics of his neighbor's house in case he cannot appreciate how dramatic his curb appeal will change. I think his reaction was just a little territorial. His wife kinda blindsided him.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
I'd call and ask for the wife. If she wants to book the job then I would book it. I don't ask for Husband and wife's approval. I just get the approval from the one who called and off we go. Never had a problem with that and always got paid. Let the Husband go stew somewhere else because he is to lazy or just doesn't know how to do it himself. Not my problem. So book the job and go make some $$$$.

BigPapa

I wouldn't give it to much thought . He was probably urked..because every time he turns around...she is spending ( his money ).
If he wasn't married all these years...he would be " living in a van..down by the river.:biggrin:

Last edited:

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I had this situation in reverse a few years ago. The husband called me to quote a house wash and I got bad vibes from the wife the moment I met her. The job was booked and the wife was home when I did the work. Before I had two sides of the house done she was outside and talking about how great the house was looking. I have done two other jobs for them since and the wife was the one who called to book them.

Jeff Wible

These customers can be very reassuring of your quality of work. When you make these people happy and even crack a smile,..and even get chatty,...it feels like you're as good a service as can be.

Jeff

Damaris Sutton

You know how dramatic of a change a safe roof cleaning can produce. When he sees the roof B and A pics along with your speak about the benefits he just reaped, he will understand more. You may not get him to hug you, but he will be like "That was money well spent, it beats paying several thousand for a re-roof"

Chad Johnson

Thanks for the respones guys. I appreciate it.
I went ahead and scheduled the roof cleaning. Im not worried about hubby anymore. Like mentioned from all here, when he sees the clean roof be will be pleased and I will get paid.:yes:
If any problems arise I will handle them accordingly.
Another satisfied customer for the books.

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
I agree with what they were saying above. Probably was having a bad day, "whats my wife doing now" kind of thing or why are we spending this money...Just show them what you can do.

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
If he isn't real chatty I don't get real chatty either. Once I get a YES, it's GO time. There are some out there that will complain about price no matter what the price is.