• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

aluminum siding stain????

Florin Nutu

I just washed a small condo complex with aluminum siding. Most of it turned out good. The customer knew that with aluminum siding I could not get it looking great. Well there is two walls that just plain looked like cr@p when I was done. It was walls that were under overhangs. They had a brrownish stain on the whole walls where it looked like it came from runoff from above, inside the overhangs. I figured it was rust stains so I applied strong citric( did not have ox on hand) and it did not touch it. Tried stronger housewash mix, tried hydroxide, eve tried just for the hell of it a qick spray of my Landa graffity removal spray. Nothing touched it.

What would you suggest I try? Like I mentioned, customer understands and realizes that with old, neglected aluminum siding I cannot give them a perfect job but I would at least like to make this area better.

Any help would be great. I will wait for your ideas and get all chemicals suggested and will try them all in a couple days.

Ken Fenner

Florin, its probably in the colorant of the siding. The best way I have found to clean aluminum siding is to first wash with a phosphoric acid cleaner. It loosens the grease, dirt and mold without going too deep into oxidized surfaces. You follow that with your housewash (.75% sodium hypochlorite and about half as much caustic as you would normally use) and you can get a very clean surface without it being blotchy.

With everything you threw at this discoloration, there is a strong chance you will not get it out.

Florin Nutu

I'll try that Ken.

Any other ideas guys and gals? I want to show up with a few options. If they dont work then thats the end of that.

Ken Fenner

I'm assuming if you had gotten pics you would have already posted them. It would definitely help to see what you are up against.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
I have found that many times alum siding that is protected from the elements will oxidize and leave a rough texture. No solution other than to sand and paint. There are some stains that just won't come out and they drive me nuts.

(With all that you've thrown at this siding, I'm surprised that there is any finish left at all!)

Florin Nutu

I'm assuming if you had gotten pics you would have already posted them. It would definitely help to see what you are up against.

Of all the days to leave the camera at home it was that one.

Whe I went into this job I was pretty sure it was rusty water stains. It looks like irrigation stains. So figure a little bit of citric would take care of it but it didnt even lighten it up a little.

Florin Nutu

I have found that many times alum siding that is protected from the elements will oxidize and leave a rough texture. No solution other than to sand and paint. There are some stains that just won't come out and they drive me nuts.

(With all that you've thrown at this siding, I'm surprised that there is any finish left at all!)

I didnt do a full app of the walls with what I was trying except for the strong housewash mix. The others I just did a half dollar size area for test. Paint coming off was my fear also.

Do you guys think a butyl cleaner might work like purple power or f-13?

Ken Fenner

Man, I would approach that one slow and in an inconspicuous area. Butyl will take you right down to the metal. A.S is the pits.

Jeff Wible

Pictures would be a big help,...but it sounds like the same type of stains you see underneath the eaves on houses. Like the first 3-4 laps of siding,...whether it be aluminum or vinyl.

I always hated not being able to get those stains out,..because I was the professional selling a cleaning service. About ten years ago I tried using an acid designed for aluminum trailer brightening. I use a product called E-Z Brite from E-Z Oil in Buffalo, New York. But I suppose any of the aluminum brighteners would work. I think I even seen where someone had stated that Safe- Restore works for this also. Not sure if you can still buy it though.
I think it is hydrochloric based. Hydrochloric alone is cheap and will work,...but I just prefer not to use it for this purpose.

The E-Z Brite works VERY well for this type of staining. Spraying it on is ideal,..but I usually just brush it on with a Mr.Longarm brush. Doesn't need hard scrubbed,...just apply and worked a little. Doesn't hurt the paint on aluminum siding neither. Very rarely would need it full strength,..I cut it in half with water.
$20.00 a gallon,...very efficient product and saves alot of headache. I've done jobs where the customer had planned on painting,but after I removed all that ground in dirt,..the paint looked great.I've even done jobs where the whole house needed done, this way,...I hate those jobs,...but what a difference it makes. I use it on vinyl also with no ill effects.

BUT,...without pictures it's hard to say if this would be an effective solution.

Jeff