• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Do zinc strips work?

Isaac Baghdanov

SANY0256.jpg

SANY0258.jpg

Lenny Schrecengost

Contributing Member
I am not sure they work but I looked at an apartment complex today that has 31 buildings. They hav cleaned 18 of them and put the zink strips on after cleaning. I need to price the cleaning and installing the strips

Doug Tripp

I was asked about them this week also. Isaac, do you know how long that strip has been up? And is it confirmed that it is the proper strip?

Florin Nutu

What I think is going on in your pic Isaac is.... If you look about two feet under it doesnt really have moss. That is where the water/zinc goes down and is sucked up by the moss. Above the zic even though its touching the strp the water goes down after it hits the strip. Not sure if you get my drift?

Isaac Baghdanov

I was asked about them this week also. Isaac, do you know how long that strip has been up? And is it confirmed that it is the proper strip?

Was installed last year. Not confirmed if it is the proper strip, I see quite a few of these here, and always on the filthiest roof. I liken them to gutter gaurds.....

Isaac Baghdanov

What I think is going on in your pic Isaac is.... If you look about two feet under it doesnt really have moss. That is where the water/zinc goes down and is sucked up by the moss. Above the zic even though its touching the strp the water goes down after it hits the strip. Not sure if you get my drift?

Ya I got it. It just sucks seeing these all the time, you know?

Ryan Freidline

I tell customers all the time that the reason i do not try to sell zinc strips to them after I clean their roof, is because in my experience of 5 years i have never seen zinc or copper strips that work. I add that what they'll pay to have a roofer come and install the strips, they could hire me at least 1 more time maybe twice (averaging $500/per cleaning).

Bob Gomez

I have never seen a complete success story..as stated earlier maybe the first few feet or so. This is good for us guys..keep cleaning and make money!

Chris Tucker

They do not work at all here in Tampa, unless you place them every row of shingles!
There was a roof cleaning company here in the Tampa area that installed and guaranteed them called Roof ReNu.
They are long gone, and left a bunch of angry customers. Here are some pics of a filthy roof with Zinc Strips, in case your customers ask. I am not territorial, as long as you are not local, use the roof cleaning pictures to make your case that zinc strips don't work.
Tampa Roof Cleaning 001.jpg

Attachments

• Tampa Roof Cleaning 005.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 005.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 003.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 002.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 002.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Tampa Roof Cleaning 004.jpg
    Tampa Roof Cleaning 004.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 19
The thin roll out kind do not work in Portland Oregon . They might work if we installed them at the ridge then 4 feet down then four more feet down ect until the roof was an ugly mess of zinc strips and nail holes.

Wet and forget can be sprayed on using your chemical injector on your pressure washer. You will be able to treat moss annually to prevent moss growth without getting on the roof. I offer this for a little extra with annual gutter cleaning.

Chris Tucker

The thin roll out kind do not work in Portland Oregon . They might work if we installed them at the ridge then 4 feet down then four more feet down ect until the roof was an ugly mess of zinc strips and nail holes.

Wet and forget can be sprayed on using your chemical injector on your pressure washer. You will be able to treat moss annually to prevent moss growth without getting on the roof. I offer this for a little extra with annual gutter cleaning.
Suggest you try some Borax or Copper Sulfate vs the Wet and Forget. This is what some use here in Tampa Florida to treat roofs with. That stuff don't work too well on the Tampa Strain of Algae, but we seldom see Moss down here in Tampa.