• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Last becomes First

topcoat

Contributing Member
Here is a picture of the last deck we did this season, about three weeks ago. It was a failing Sikkens coating on Ipe. The homeowner wanted to see how successful we would be with the Sikkens strip on the deck, before deciding how to proceed with the house. The house will be our first exterior of Spring 09. This is an example of how the pw service has become an important part of what we do, both from the field prep standpoint and selling. Several customers have started as deck wash/stain jobs and become interior customers as well. Thought I'd pass this along and I am sure that you guys get lots of situations where one thing leads to another. Ultimately, its great retention. Washing can be a great first step in the relationship.

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 64

topcoat

Contributing Member
With the deck we did the short eave side to the right of the hottub as a template for how the siding, trim and doors would restore. Can't make a decision about red cedar and mahogany verticals based solely on ipe horizontals. I wish the lead had come early enough in the season to tackle the whole thing, but it will give me something to fret about over the winter. Its an 8000 s.f. strip job.

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 54

topcoat

Contributing Member
Here's a close up of how the deck looked when we started. All wood on the house is basically in this condition. Holy wood restoration.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 52

Tonyg

I would imagine the stain on Ipe wouldn't sink in much. Does this pose a problem with doing the deck first then coming back in a few months to do the siding?

topcoat

Contributing Member
I would imagine the stain on Ipe wouldn't sink in much. Does this pose a problem with doing the deck first then coming back in a few months to do the siding?

Hey Tony

After we washed and neutralized, we sanded to 80 grit and applied one coat Penofin for hardwoods. My experience has been that with this kind of homeowner, its best to plan on topping off the decks annually. So my plan is to keep it good and wet when we strip over it, then clean and apply more Penofin. You can probably see from the pictures that this deck didnt want to sit out there with 3 feet of snow on it all winter. Customer had some peace of mind when they flew south.