• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Kitchen Floor

DJ Carroll

Hey guy I got a 2,900 sq ft kitchen that wants the floors cleaned. . .they are tile and I need to know how you all clean these.

Maybe some of you grease guys have done this before

Me and Ash came up with a pretty good Idea and I figured i'd put it out here to see if you guys had a better way then what us two knuckle heads came up with . . .I'm fine on pricing just wondering about methods . . .I gotta make my 1600 a day :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help felas

Alexy

Be carefull with Kitchen floors.
Some things to consider
Is this a stand alone restaurant or is it iin a strip mall or next to other buisnesses. Reason I ask is the grout will leak no matter if it is brand new. It (water)can damage carpet,drywall, phone lines, elctrical ect, just be aware of that.
Does the floor have drains? Do they work? (not clogged) Does the floor actually drain down to them or will a helper have to squeege the water to it?
Equipment: What moves what doesn't? Also watch out for electrical stuff , refirgeration compressors ect on the line you will need to cover or at least protect by spraying lightly around those items.Be carefull of extension cords that have laid for 2 decades behind the line that will short out when the water hits them.
Also think about dunnage and storage items will you be removing them or will the customer. Just about everything needs to be about 2 feet above the floor to keep splatter and overspray off them. Bid the job accordingly and spell out these issues with your client in the service agreement BEFORE you start. Just things I have found over time that help make these jobs go easier.

Ken Fenner

Check the sanitary drains in the kitch first. If their flow is good, you can downstream your degreaser an run a 16" surface cleaner over it with hot water. Also make sure that you let the restaurant know that you will be removing any wax they have on the floor. (upsell?)

Edit, Alexy beat me to the punch with some very good things to consider.

DJ Carroll

I was going to use two helpers to sqweegie because the florr does not run the water to the drains very well (chef told me this) it is a stand alone resteraunt. i was going to use sodium hydroxide and a deck brush then rinse with hot water from the spiget. The drains work but i will be putting a sump pump on them just incase . . . everthing that can be moved IE tables and such with wheels will be pulled out ovens, fryers, and other things will not . . . I was thinking .30 sq ft

Alexy

All we do is KEC and we get this alot:yes:

It's a great add on to a KEC job but if you are not carefull floor cleanings can do some real damage.

Ken Fenner

Sounds low for a three man job. I don't know though. We used to have a guy that stripped my family's 1500 s.f retail store, applied two coats of wax and buffed for $180. I've never done this as a standalone job only as part of a KEC cleanup. Have you tried selling the hoods?

DJ Carroll

Ken the hood system on this has not been clean properly for YEARS!!! there are no access panels where there should be, built up grease, and to add its a HUGE system . . two stories, laterals, 2 16 - 18 foot hoods and a small one prolly around 10 to 12 ft, its huge and would be a nice gig but i wouldn't be comfortable doing it my self

Alexy

DJ,
Your honesty about knowing your limits is refreshing. I would see if there is a KEC specific cleaner that you trust for that job and keep the floor. you could assist the KEC job and confirm why you don't do that kind of work.:headshakesmile-fast

DJ Carroll

I don't mind the work and KEC is KEC the thing im worried about is the problems i could encounter . . .BUNN said he would come help me do it but I need help estimating it too thats the problem lol I know it would be at least 3-4k

and as far as admiting my limits i have no problem doing that . . . :)

Alexy

Bunn's good peeps and you will learn alot from him.
As far as modesty thats a rare trait. Good Luck on the job.

RMedbery

Ive done 1 floor/equipment clean and it was the last. Im not a janitor, I hate it, it sucks. I made ok money, the work absolutely sucked.

Youd best get 3 to 4 K out of those hoods because from the sounds of it youll never hear from them again.

Christopher Bunn

Youd best get 3 to 4 K out of those hoods because from the sounds of it youll never hear from them again.

I know what system he is talking about, and I can assure you that $3,000.00 would not be out of line, for the work that needs to be done. Multiple access panels need to be installed, some duct crawling would be involved, the fan (which is freakin gigantic!) needs a super hinge and a grease containment system, etc., etc. Once those issues are addressed, the system wouldn't be that difficult to clean, just time consuming.

Matt Bryan

Donating Member
DJ remember that this is technically flatwork, so you will need to have the proper uniform on while doing the work. I believe Shoes for Crews sells special non slip high heel shoes for kitchen flatwork. Also make sure the ovens are cool, I know you young flatworkers like to wear those short skirts when running your surface cleaners and I wouldn't want you to burn those nice legs.

RMedbery

why you say that?
the hood system on this has not been clean properly for YEARS!!! there are no access panels where there should be, built up grease,
Thats why.

Why all of a sudden do they want it done right? My guess is someone is telling them to. You do it right then they wait years again before they get it done right again. Thats a lot of agains.

Ken Fenner

Roger, I agree with you about many of the places getting you to basically unclog the pipes with no intention for maintenance. Not to steal DJ's thread as this may warrant its own.. How do you go about convincing a business owner that maintenance cleaning is in their best interest?

DJ Carroll

Actually i showed the cheff the pictures of the duct work RIGHT AFTER they cleaned "the system" which was actually just the hoods. This would be an every six month thing. The cheff wants it done right its just they have been steered wrong for so long when i came in and educated him and actually showed with what was wrong he instantly wanted to find some one else . . .

I am very very confident i could sell this job, my problem comes on what to bid it at and then the cleaning process !!

RMedbery

Roger, I agree with you about many of the places getting you to basically unclog the pipes with no intention for maintenance. Not to steal DJ's thread as this may warrant its own.. How do you go about convincing a business owner that maintenance cleaning is in their best interest?

Everything that DJ is doing, show them how bad it is. Does the chef pay the bills? Chances are.......no. Its just been my experience 90% of the time if the system is that far gone its because they dont want to come off the $$$ until they HAVE to. For example.......EVERY CHINAMAN.

plainpainter

Just reading this thread makes me respect KEC guys so much more - I know I'd hate this line of work, even without trying. It's been my impression that KEC guys are either 100% committed to doing just KEC work and nothing else. Does anyone here do KEC along with other lines of pressure washing - or do guys in general just focus on KEC exclusively?