PDA

View Full Version : First holiday light hanging.

Florin Nutu
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
This is my first light hanging job. Customer is a past roof clean job.
Ran lights down all gutters, facia, downspouts and visible roof lines. Took 3 hours to hang all by myself. No nails or staples. Just clips. All plugged into a light sensing timer that can get adjusted to how long they want the lights on after dusk.
I kinda missunderestimated how much lights I needed. Luckily I bought the same type lights for my own houise at the same time. Ended up using 40 extra feet than what I calculated. Luckily I put in the bid that the material cost is only a guesstimation and might need to adjust final price. What is your guys method of measuring?
This particular job I gained a decent profit despite the longer time than anticipated. Starting Monday I will advertise this service some more to see if I can get a few more in. (Its probably too late in the game to get too much response)

Don M.
11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Florin, I use a wheel to measure the roof line. The peaks take the entire length and times by two.

You've tapped into something good I feel. I'm having product issues. We got 10 estimates just over the weekend. If I can get the product the next two weeks will be jamming.

I know in July I am buying my product then. I might try to find another guy that buys by the container from China to see if I can get on with him.

Florin Nutu
11-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Florin, I use a wheel to measure the roof line. The peaks take the entire length and times by two.

You've tapped into something good I feel. I'm having product issues. We got 10 estimates just over the weekend. If I can get the product the next two weeks will be jamming.

I know in July I am buying my product then. I might try to find another guy that buys by the container from China to see if I can get on with him.

Yep. My measuring was off as well as I went by the lighted length listed on the boxes when I did my bid and calculations of how much I needed. I couldnt get the light strands taught enough to measure what was listed on the box. Lesson learned. I actually just bought everything from a HD. Probably not the cheapest but I didnt want to invest time in finding a better supplier if I was not sure if I was going to continue doing this.

DJ Carroll
11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
what did you price it florin ?

Florin Nutu
11-29-2009, 10:27 PM
what did you price it florin ? $400 to hang and $85 to take down after Christams plus the cost of the lights which came out to $223.24.

Mathew Johnson
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Great Idea.. Sweet project!

DJ Carroll
11-30-2009, 08:17 AM
$400 to hang and $85 to take down after Christams plus the cost of the lights which came out to $223.24.

not bad at all man!

Florin Nutu
12-11-2009, 12:14 PM
UPDATE!!! I am definately not going to keep doing this service next year. Too much hassle. I have had to go back to this house 4 times. The lower strands to the left of the front door keep going out in the middle of the night. When I get there in the daytime they are back on so I cant tell exactly where the interruption is. I finally said hell with it and I changed out three strands yesterday.

cmturner
12-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Hey Florin thats why need to go with a good quality light, not saying that you won't ever have problems but installing using custom cut lights strands would be much easier and it would be much easier to diagnose a problem. check out the product from these guys, www.reinders.com (http://www.reinders.com) and go read a bunch over at www.lawnsite.com (http://www.lawnsite.com) under the christmas light heading.

Florin Nutu
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Curtis.

DJ Carroll
12-11-2009, 07:53 PM
we did 2k worth of installs today! More lights on the local library and then a resi house

Doug Rucker
06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
DJ you still doing lights???