• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

What temperature do you wash in?

Ed Edgar

What kind of temperatures does it get to where you are at? I'm in north Mississippi. It get's below freezing at night but in the 40's during the day for now.

im in florida it does get cold here but if it gets in the in the mid 30s im staying in

Chris Tharpe

we are washing in MS all night 5 days a week. If it freezes well postpone but for the most part in MS you will not have problem. The few nights it gets low enough to not work well stay in but thats few and far between

Last edited:

Jim Cooney

This time of year it's down right freezing, lower 50's. But we earn out mild winters here in Phoenix. Try doing flatwork here in August when it's 115 degrees.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
It depends on what I'm washing. Drives/walks need to be above 32* so ice doesn't form. (Washing with hot water will reduce the drying time.) House washing, temps need to be 40* plus. If using hot water, be careful not to use too high a temp or you may break the window seals. Personally, If the wind blows, I will usually stay home below 40* or so.

Doug Tripp

It's 10 out right now and I'm suppose to be doing a job, but I'm waiting for the customer to call me back. If he wants it done I'll do it, but he's going to have ONE BIG mess.

Ken Fenner

That's one reason I will never chase commercial work whole hog up here. You just can't wash in 20 degree weather unless the conditions are ideal and any standing water will not present a problem. The jobs you bid to make a little money on in the warm months now become profit eaters.

Doug, be careful. An owner can say yeah, go forward and if you create an ice rink and someone gets hurt, it can fall right back in your lap.

Doug Tripp

He called back around 10:30 and said he thought it would be better to wait.

Yea, smart guy.

It's inside a freight building, but the wash water would have been rinsed out of the building. The building is not occupied at this time, so little chance of anyone getting hurt.

I was more worried about the garden hose/water tank freezing up than anything. I have washed with the temps in the teens before, it's not fun.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
He called back around 10:30 and said he thought it would be better to wait.

Yea, smart guy.

It's inside a freight building, but the wash water would have been rinsed out of the building. The building is not occupied at this time, so little chance of anyone getting hurt.

I was more worried about the garden hose/water tank freezing up than anything. I have washed with the temps in the teens before, it's not fun.

After you are finished with the cleaning downstreem salt water. Dont wash until the temp is on the rise 32 and higher

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
For house washes I prefer it is at least 45 degrees outside. Even at those temps the gutter cleaning stuff I use won't work unless the gutter is in direct sun. For commercial work I will go out at night if it is below freezing but only if it is going to be well above freezing during the following day.

cleanhoods

I have been out in below 0 weather Monday was 10+ snowing and gusts up to 50mph at a steady 15-20 mph so what ever the wind chill is, just put it this way it was cold!! I work mainly nights detailing restaurant exhaust systems. In the winter there is a different process to prevent damage or hazards.:rolleyes:
Marko