PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Don M.
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Can a company that only does resi work gross 200k in one year?

DJ Carroll
12-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Sure with the right amount of volume and being in a big enough market ... (poster child - Ken Fenner)

Guy Blackmon
12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Absolutely!!!!!..............But it wasn't me!!!!!!!!!

plainpainter
12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Don, do you mean a residential service company - or are you talking about a 'lone' wolf operation?

Don M.
12-19-2009, 06:37 PM
A service company.

Roger Gothorp
12-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes - but a better economy was helpful in accomplishing that number!

Carlos Gonzales
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
A service company.

A service company that just does washing or also other things like sealant, overlays, staining, gutter repair and etc.....??

plainpainter
12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I am kind of confused - is this like a japanese koan? I haven't done anywhere near close to 200k - but is it possible? I don't see why not? I know an irrigation guy that did 250k in gross sales this year off his own back and a helper.

Ken Fenner
12-19-2009, 07:00 PM
With 5 crews, cooperative weather, an ops manager and a dense higher income market, a resi company can hit $500K without traveling more than 20 miles.

Carlos Gonzales
12-19-2009, 07:04 PM
With 5 crews, cooperative weather, an ops manager and a dense higher income market, a resi company can hit $500K without traveling more than 20 miles.

I bet you could knock down that number to 3 crews and make a good run at it. All cylinders would need to be firing though.

I guess this brings me up to a question....could be another thread I guess BUT :biggrin: what do some of you think is good money for a years work? This includes all your services...ia. staining, sealant, overlays, landscaping..whatever...sky is the limit!

Ken Fenner
12-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Its funny Carlos, the more crews you add, you get diminishing returns. You are correct though, if all cylinders are firing, it is feasible for one crew to do $130K but the work has to be higher grossing (roof/deck/house combos etc). The next level of money comes in the multi unit washing. I think three crews can more easily hit the $500K mark performing that type of bulk work.

I have determined to meet my numbers we have to average $800 per day per crew. That's a rain or shine average (ie one day $1600, the next day no work due to heavy rain).

Is your question about owner salary or just gross billing? I'll make it generic. I think an owner that is set up right with strong margins can pull $35K/yr per crew.

plainpainter
12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
For me as a one man show, 'good' money would be grossing 200k off my own back from 200-215 work days. I don't get 200-215 work days in a year, though.

plainpainter
12-19-2009, 07:17 PM
What exactly constitutes an average 'crew'? 2 guys, 3 guys, 4 guys?

Ken Fenner
12-19-2009, 07:18 PM
For me, Dan, 2 guys.

Don M.
12-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Carlos just house washing, deck restoration and roofs.

I'm going to be discussing this a lot over on Barry's board. I don't want to put my ideas out in public because of too much local competition. Guys I don't really know are really watching me. And that's okay. I mean no disrespect tothem but I have to put my family first.

Chris Tharpe
12-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Just a quick breakdown of the numbers gives you a target goal like Fenner was stating.

There are 261 weekdays in the year of 2010. 200,000.00 divided by the total number of workdays would give you a target goal of $766.28 per day if you worked every weekday and if you miss 15 days for rain then you would have to refigure your daily goals to account for that marginal miss making the total goal daily 813.01 figured out on 246 working days in a year

plainpainter
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Carlos just house washing, deck restoration and roofs.

I'm going to be discussing this a lot over on Barry's board. I don't want to put my ideas out in public because of too much local competition. Guys I don't really know are really watching me. And that's okay. I mean no disrespect tothem but I have to put my family first.

Is there a 'secret' forum there that you need to be invited to?

Don M.
12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Just a quick breakdown of the numbers gives you a target goal like Fenner was stating.

There are 261 weekdays in the year of 2010. 200,000.00 divided by the total number of workdays would give you a target goal of $766.28 per day if you worked every weekday and if you miss 15 days for rain then you would have to refigure your daily goals to account for that marginal miss making the total goal daily 813.01 figured out on 246 working days in a year

I'll have to count the days since our season starts late Feb and runs until November. Thats a lot less days.

Dan, yes. There is a section on Barry's board that is private. He has to approve guys before you can get access to it. Go over there and ask permission and I will ask him to grant it for you.

Its a good place. Only a handful of guys just talking business. No B.S. that you get on some boards.

James VanHandle
12-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I'll have to count the days since our season starts late Feb and runs until November. Thats a lot less days.

Dan, yes. There is a section on Barry's board that is private. He has to approve guys before you can get access to it. Go over there and ask permission and I will ask him to grant it for you.

Its a good place. Only a handful of guys just talking business. No B.S. that you get on some boards.

This is possible! we are oh so very close to that 200k mark this year with our commercial work incorpoated in that number as well. I do see us pushing that over next season.

Jimmy V

Don M.
12-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Hey Jimmy, Im not really wanting to travel the commercial road. I havent ruled it out yet, but Id rather not. Im just want to stick straight to resi work.

James VanHandle
12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Jimmy, Im not really wanting to travel the commercial road. I havent ruled it out yet, but Id rather not. Im just want to stick straight to resi work.

We have a high density area here in NJ and we can get good prices for our services. Our main profit margines come from our residential work. Lots of advertising(around 20k this year) keeps the phone ringing. Keep your price up were you need to make a profit and time.

Jimmy V

Chris Tharpe
12-20-2009, 09:38 AM
its very possible with Commercial by yourself but much easier if you can sacrifice 35-40k a year and hire someone good to do the work for you.

Its all a numbers game as previously discussed before. It takes time to acquire the numbers but say you pick up 2 new accounts per week that are serviced on 30 day intervals. $235.00 X 2 for the month gives you $470 a week added you your revenue stream. There are 52 weeks in 2010 so you would potentially pick up 104 new accounts that gross $235.00 each making a monthly gross of $24,410.00 and a yearly gross of $293,280.00. Now the thing I have ran into is you can only acquire so many new accounts before you start running out of new contacts, either they say no or they don't have the money. Then you begin targeting the larger accounts as well. Remember that was just Casual restaurants ie. chilis, applebees, cheddars, logans...... if you got 20 fast food stores in there that were on 15 day intervals @ 165.00 then your numbers would do as follows. 84 stores (30 day) @ $235.00 is $19,740.00 monthly and 20 stores (15 day) @ $165.00 is 6600 making your monthly gross $26,340.00 and yearly gross $316,080. At that number you will definatly have to have a second employee more than likely. Now the thing is your up north and you may not be able to service the properties that many times per year so lets say you can only wash them 8 months out of the year. Your gross yearly would be around the magic number $210,720.00 a year.

plainpainter
12-20-2009, 09:53 AM
We have a high density area here in NJ and we can get good prices for our services. Our main profit margines come from our residential work. Lots of advertising(around 20k this year) keeps the phone ringing. Keep your price up were you need to make a profit and time.

Jimmy V

I am finding it hard to find ways to spend money on advertizing - I am assuming your 20k budget is filled with lots of mailers? There are only so many newspapers and yellow books out there.

James VanHandle
12-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I am finding it hard to find ways to spend money on advertizing - I am assuming your 20k budget is filled with lots of mailers? There are only so many newspapers and yellow books out there.

Yes you are correct. I stay out of newspapers and dumping the yellow pages.We advertise in specific development news papers,homeowners association news letters and such. This targets right were we want to do work. Once you get into a development you stay. We contract Money mailer to send out coupons in direct areas.(very costly but it works) We had 4 full time employees last year. I had all I could do to keep up with the estimates, Sometimes 6-7 a day and we dont do decks. This is why you dont see me on this forum in the summer much!

Jimmy V:yes:

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Don - I did a quick calculation with Mr. Page's model in mind. And it seems to me you could really kick up a lot of money of money quick doing like $175 average house wash and marketing the crap out of it. Imagine a business where you are so cheap that you no longer have to meet with folks to close the deal. You could have one crew-cab truck pulling a good size trailer - with an assortment of machines enough to keep your guys busy - you knock out the average home in 20 minuntes flat! You and three guys. You could probably knock 20-24 homes a day. Pay an average rate of $15/hr.

If I really had faith that marketing could really bring in that many leads - I'd go borrow enough money and start doing it myself. I think house washing does lend itself nicely to Volume pricing - I mean even the bleach you can buy for bottom of the barrel pricing if you buy in large enough quantities. Anyways - with a model like above - assuming your guys put in one weekend day per week, to ensure an average of 5 workdays a week - you could easily gross over 200k in 3 months time.

And that's with 1,200 house washes. As huge as it may seem - I live in a community where there are over 5,000 homes that make over 250k annual income - imagine how many homes with below that income? If you really look at it - would it be all that hard to get $1,200 customers, if you were cheap enough and spent 10k a month in advertizing? Like I said - if I had faith - I'd be doing it myself.

Ken Fenner
01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Dan, my UAMCC brother, I have never seen a person change opinions on a topic so much in my life. I saw a very apt quote that made me think of you.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

There is no singularly correct business model.. There is one sure fire failure though.. not executing any of them. Pick one and run with it.

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Ken - my model is high price and low volume - I won't be changing from it anytime soon. As well, like I said I don't have faith that marketing could bring in a volume of leads necessary for that model to work - and I don't have an understanding of the logistics of handling complaints, call-backs, non-payers. So it's not really on my radar screen for the near future.

You know I like to crank out numbers. It just seems no matter how absurdly high you price your services - being an owner/operator never makes killer money. It would be a kick a$$ model if you have white collar professional wife bringing in 6 figures - and doesn't really care if you bring in any additional money.

Carlos Gonzales
01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Ken - my model is high price and low volume - I won't be changing from it anytime soon. As well, like I said I don't have faith that marketing could bring in a volume of leads necessary for that model to work - and I don't have an understanding of the logistics of handling complaints, call-backs, non-payers. So it's not really on my radar screen for the near future.

You know I like to crank out numbers. It just seems no matter how absurdly high you price your services - being an owner/operator never makes killer money. It would be a kick a$$ model if you have white collar professional wife bringing in 6 figures - and doesn't really care if you bring in any additional money.

Hey Dan...just out of curiosity ....what is your definition of killer money?

Ken Fenner
01-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Dan, you are right about owner operator. Too low of a ceiling on efficiency and output. I highly doubt there are any owner operators out there making more than $75K per year. Most I would guess fall in the $25K-$50K range.

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey Dan...just out of curiosity ....what is your definition of killer money?

That is a good question that doesn't have any real answer. For me personally 'killer' money would be like an honest to goodness $85 hour job with bene's.

So if I made $170,000 plus bene's for working my booty off - that's what I would call 'killer' money. I have a skewed sense of reality compared to most guys - Its because I come from the world of software engineering and it was't uncommon for someone that was an average SQA engineer to make 95k with less than 10 years experience back in '01. Heck I have one friend who complains about money problems all the time - and how 'overworked' her husband is as a pharmacist/director with his 150k base salary and 30k 'side' job for what amounts to 50 hours total a week of work!

It just seems to me that if you run a company and have employees, do marketing, accounts, purchase trucks, take care of repairs - that we should have a salary similar to mid-level white collar job that has absolutely nothing to worry about at the end of the day.

topcoat
01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Ron is the only person I know who makes that kind of money. Most of us wouldnt want to do (or couldnt do) what he has to do to make that happen.

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Ron is the only person I know who makes that kind of money. Most of us wouldnt want to do (or couldnt do) what he has to do to make that happen.

Man - I was the lowest rung of the ladder at the last company I worked for as their IT guy, making 65k with bene's. According to an inflation calculator that's worth $79,400 in today's dollars. It just seems to me owning a business with like half a dozen to a dozen employees and you should be making triple that salary. I didn't mind the money back then, but it wasn't enough even with a wife's salary to even afford the most basic home.

topcoat
01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Dan

I dont think its an accurate comparison between IT and pressure washing. In principle, you probably have a good point, but I dont think its substantial enough evidence to build a business model around. You are going to drive yourself crazy if you dont forget about your past life!

Jim Chesmore
01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
That is a good question that doesn't have any real answer. For me personally 'killer' money would be like an honest to goodness $85 hour job with bene's.

So if I made $170,000 plus bene's for working my booty off - that's what I would call 'killer' money. I have a skewed sense of reality compared to most guys - Its because I come from the world of software engineering and it was't uncommon for someone that was an average SQA engineer to make 95k with less than 10 years experience back in '01. Heck I have one friend who complains about money problems all the time - and how 'overworked' her husband is as a pharmacist/director with his 150k base salary and 30k 'side' job for what amounts to 50 hours total a week of work!

It just seems to me that if you run a company and have employees, do marketing, accounts, purchase trucks, take care of repairs - that we should have a salary similar to mid-level white collar job that has absolutely nothing to worry about at the end of the day.

You should not care what anyone else is making or the time they put into whatever they are doing, its a waist of time. How much is enough for YOU, based on your needs and wants, not compared to all your friends.

Carlos Gonzales
01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

So I am curious...what does he do Scott to bring that kind of money in? :biggrin:

DJ Carroll
01-01-2010, 05:26 PM
"Put the blinders on and go to work" :yes:

Carlos Gonzales
01-01-2010, 05:29 PM
You should not care what anyone else is making or the time they put into whatever they are doing, its a waist of time. How much is enough for YOU, based on your needs and wants, not compared to all your friends.

Exactly...and to take it one more step....it's not ALL about the money baby. Money is important...don't get me wrong...I love me cheese BUT...there are a list of "things" that can be viewed just as important as $$!!!

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 05:38 PM
"Put the blinders on and go to work" :yes:

True, but sometimes the 'blinders' slip off every now and then.

plainpainter
01-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a lot more respect these days for all the small shop owners, from seafood shops to bookstores to crafts stores to pizza/sandwich shop and appliance stores - I bet a lot of these small business owners don't make anywhere near the money I had always assumed they did.

James VanHandle
01-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a lot more respect these days for all the small shop owners, from seafood shops to bookstores to crafts stores to pizza/sandwich shop and appliance stores - I bet a lot of these small business owners don't make anywhere near the money I had always assumed they did.

As long as I am happy, can pay the bills,save some money life is good and who gives a crap about ALL THE OTHER.

Ken Fenner
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I still want a 911 solely as a discretionary toy. I guess its another year of pressure washing (or ten)

Carlos Gonzales
01-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I still want a 911 solely as a discretionary toy. I guess its another year of pressure washing (or ten)

LOL....You almost bought one of those a couple years back. I will lend you mine...its the Hot Wheel version!

topcoat
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
So I am curious...what does he do Scott to bring that kind of money in? :biggrin:

I dont want to reveal too much, as I do hope to be his official biographer. In very general terms, I would say that we all kill ourselves a little each day, Ron just on a larger scale. I think Ron appreciates the spirit in which I tell him that he is the Don King of pw-ing. And I do not mean that in a derogatory sense.

Soleil Shepherd
01-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Scott's right, Ron rocks, so full of energy. I don't know where he gets it!

I'm thinking you guys maybe should consider bringing him back. I don't know what happened before, but maybe it's time to bury the hatchet, it's a new year - new beginnings?

Brian Wendling
01-02-2010, 08:58 AM
You can do it but you need to work a lot. We have 3-4 crews working and in 3 months April, May, June you need to work every day and only take off on holidays. But we have done almost 100,000.00 in 1 month on mostly Res. We usually get some Commercial jobs that will go into those numbers. In order to make the money you need to get some town homes or building that are 10,000 jobs you can do in a couple days. But 1 truck with 2 guys can make 1,500-2,000. a day. Come end of June I start to hate everyone. Some times when I have a difficult customer I will say NO POWER WASH FOR YOU.

Ken Fenner
01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
LOL.. no kidding, Brian. Now try adding in trying to squeeze in 30 estimates over a weekend and dealing with "your guys got a drop of stain on the end of my driveway." There has to be a better way to make money.

Scott Davis
01-02-2010, 11:06 AM
yes Don i think it is easily possible. We did $85k our first year and $120k this last year and if you saw how many days we actually worked you wouldnt believe it. We averaged about 7-10 jobs a month, total. If we can bring in 65% more work or 6.5 new jobs a month we can break 200k and still have plenty of leisure time.My goal is to have no liesure time and break $400k within a couple of years from now.

(we are talking gross numbers right?)

Brian Wendling
01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I was thinking of a parking lot. You sit in a both and collect money for people to park.

Don M.
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
yes Don i think it is easily possible. We did $85k our first year and $120k this last year and if you saw how many days we actually worked you wouldnt believe it. We averaged about 7-10 jobs a month, total. If we can bring in 65% more work or 6.5 new jobs a month we can break 200k and still have plenty of leisure time.My goal is to have no liesure time and break $400k within a couple of years from now.

Yes, gross dollars.

Scott, the majority of the jobs were commerical roof cleanings, right?

Ken Fenner
01-02-2010, 02:23 PM

Scott, I need to hire you as a business advisor.. no joke. If you can hit $400K gross with one crew I need some serious advice.

Scott Davis
01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Don, no 99% of our work is residential, only a few jobs were commercial.

Ken, I don't plan it with 1 crew. I plan on it with multiple crews. Only way I can do it with 1 crew would be to land a dozen or so apartment complexes, which are a PITA to close.

James VanHandle
01-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Don, no 99% of our work is residential, only a few jobs were commercial.

Ken, I don't plan it with 1 crew. I plan on it with multiple crews. Only way I can do it with 1 crew would be to land a dozen or so apartment complexes, which are a PITA to close.

$400k with one crew? I need to go back to school. We do $400 with 3 -4 crews. Dont let my wife see this she will be on my a-- to fire those three other crews LOL LOL

Scott Davis
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
That's what I mean, it would be next to impossible to wash 400k with 1 crew. Only way I could think of would be a bunch of apartment complexes which my crew could do. My plan is to do it with 3-4 crews as well. We just need the volume which we can't seem to drum up.

Jeff LeCours
01-02-2010, 10:59 PM
That's what I mean, it would be next to impossible to wash 400k with 1 crew. Only way I could think of would be a bunch of apartment complexes which my crew could do. My plan is to do it with 3-4 crews as well. We just need the volume which we can't seem to drum up.

If I could spread the jobs out instead of them being stacked on top of each other for 6 months instead of over 12 months, I could do 500K with two crews and thats at our crummy pricing that's going on now. I have to have the third crew because most of my work is in a 6-7 month period and just can not get it done with just two crews. I have had my 3rd trailer sitting not working about 6 months this year

Its weird, I have less man hours = less payroll this year by far, but our numbers are only down by about 30K all in all it looks like I made more money this year in my pocket. I will know better soon, after I go over everything with the accountant. It sure does help to have efficient crews

Now residential if the work is there I can see two maybe 3 crews doing 500K. But to drum up enough of work, I would think pricing would actually have to be lower than what you would usually do, just to capture more market share. But then again that's our market here in SC. I dont think there's enough higher end work to be captured by one company to get you to 500K around here or much of the southeast
Even established companies, would have to put a lot every year into advertising and return work to stay around or above 500K

Good luck all in 2010

Terry Miller
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Just a comment. I have a friend in Pa. that is a painting contractor. He grosses, get this. 6 Million. Residential only. There is not a set amount you can make. it is up to your plan and what you do to accomplish it. PWing is no different.

Ken Fenner
01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Terry, last name start with "N" ?

Scott Davis
01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
If I could spread the jobs out instead of them being stacked on top of each other for 6 months instead of over 12 months, I could do 500K with two crews and thats at our crummy pricing that's going on now. I have to have the third crew because most of my work is in a 6-7 month period and just can not get it done with just two crews. I have had my 3rd trailer sitting not working about 6 months this year

Its weird, I have less man hours = less payroll this year by far, but our numbers are only down by about 30K all in all it looks like I made more money this year in my pocket. I will know better soon, after I go over everything with the accountant. It sure does help to have efficient crews

Now residential if the work is there I can see two maybe 3 crews doing 500K. But to drum up enough of work, I would think pricing would actually have to be lower than what you would usually do, just to capture more market share. But then again that's our market here in SC. I dont think there's enough higher end work to be captured by one company to get you to 500K around here or much of the southeast
Even established companies, would have to put a lot every year into advertising and return work to stay around or above 500K

Good luck all in 2010

Our problem isnt in closing the sales, it is getting the phone to ring. However last year we kinda figured out what wont work for us advertising wise and what will, and we are focusing on what will this year. The phone has rang more in the first few days this year than it did in the first 2 weeks last year.

Maybe its the economy, maybe its the advertising but either way i got a feeling this year is going to kick ass.

Chris Eichler
01-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I see many talk about gross revenue numbers and ability to reach them. If you give your client the ultimate service experience and ASK for referrals on top of Target Markeing you should be able to achieve your sales goals. The only number that truly defines ones successs is PROFIT.

It is about what you get to keep at the end of the year not how much gross revenue your did.

I am extremely new to this industry so I am not sure what would be expected average profit margins.

I know this I will soon learn from this forum.

Ken Fenner
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I see many talk about gross revenue numbers and ability to reach them. If you give your client the ultimate service experience and ASK for referrals on top of Target Markeing you should be able to achieve your sales goals. The only number that truly defines ones successs is PROFIT.

It is about what you get to keep at the end of the year not how much gross revenue your did.

I am extremely new to this industry so I am not sure what would be expected average profit margins.

I know this I will soon learn from this forum.

I swear to god this is not me using a different screen name.

Hallejuhah! another business person that gets it. Margins can be very sweet in this industry depending upon which stream of revenue you chase. Resi guys should be averaging about $200/hr per crew. Commercial guys $70-$100. The specialty industrial cleaners/ restoration co's with the right certs can bill at $600/hr per 3-man crew.

James VanHandle
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
I swear to god this is not me using a different screen name.

Hallejuhah! another business person that gets it. Margins can be very sweet in this industry depending upon which stream of revenue you chase. Resi guys should be averaging about $200/hr per crew. Commercial guys $70-$100. The specialty industrial cleaners/ restoration co's with the right certs can bill at $600/hr per 3-man crew.

Bingo!!
And if you stick to that plan, hold your price and work your contacts you will make a profit!!!!!!!!! Its that simple period.

Barry M
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Dan, you are right about owner operator. Too low of a ceiling on efficiency and output. I highly doubt there are any owner operators out there making more than $75K per year. Most I would guess fall in the $25K-$50K range.

You're talking gross right Ken?

Ken Fenner
01-24-2010, 01:46 PM
You're talking gross right Ken?

Sadly, I was talking about what the owner actually makes in profit and salary.

plainpainter
01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
If I made a salary of 75k after direct and indirect expenses as an owner/operator - I think hell would have frozen over. Funny how 10 years ago - making that as a desk salary with benefits, matching 401k, paid holidays, full medical paid - and I still thought I was underpaid. Man - how stupid we become with money when we show up to do a job with little to no responsibilites after 5:00 PM and weekends. God - I would kill for 50k with no bene's right now.

Greg Rentschler
01-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Can a company that only does resi work gross 200k in one year?

Yes. We do some commmercial but 98% of it's residential. It's going to take getting into more commercial though for us to hit that magic $500K or more though. 3 to 4 crews seems to be max pain so far for me as I haven't been able to draw in enough business to justify adding anymore.

Doug Rucker
06-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Good thread