• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Add a Service That's In Demand (UAMCC Discount)

Paul D.

If you're looking for an economical way to add a valuable new service visit www.ClogHog.com.

We offer a line of pressure washer sewer jetter attachments. Clog Hog drain cleaners scrub the sides of dirty pipes and remove tough main drain clogs (except for large rocks, tree roots and jewelry).

Because a sewer jetter uses the force of pressurized water to pull itself through dirty pipes, it works faster than an electric drain snake with much less physical effort.

Through the end of February you can take advantage of special UAMCC member savings.

Get $20 off a combination of our 100 ft. commercial sewer jetter attachment and accessory pack.

That's a $194 value for only $174.

Visit www.ClogHog.com/UAMCC to get this special offer.

- Paul D.

Last edited:

Ken Fenner

Interesting. Some questions, Paul.

The line looks thin. Is there a minimum and maxium psi/gpm rating. What would be optimal?

I know there is no such thing as a "going rate" for service but this appears more commodity-like. What could one charge for this type of service?

Do you need to have any type of special licensing?

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Interesting. Some questions, Paul.

The line looks thin. Is there a minimum and maxium psi/gpm rating. What would be optimal?

I know there is no such thing as a "going rate" for service but this appears more commodity-like. What could one charge for this type of service?

Do you need to have any type of special licensing?

I spoke to some of the restaurants we service and seems I would need a plumbing liscense to do any of there drain cleaning work.

Jim Cooney

I've looked into this also. At least here in Arizona, you need a contractors license for any plumbing work in excess of $599.00.

That's the easy part. You'd be foolish doing sewer jetting without liability insurance. Correct me if I'm wrong but I find it hard to believe my current policy ( 2 million liability via Joseph D. Walters Agency ) would cover sewer jetting. I've never inquired, just an assumption.

I have a good friend who is a licensed journeyman plumber. He advised me that to obtain liability insurance for sewer jetting, you better have at least 5 years of verifiable experience, a contractors license and be able to prove journeyman experience. His opinion is without the above, no insurance company will touch you.

Imagine the potential damage a jetter or rooter can do to a mainline. Under slab repairs I bet are extremely costly, especially if you put a business closed until the repairs are completed.

If there is any members doing jetting, I'd sure appreciate hearing about how you got started and your experiences. Always looking for more money making avenues.

Soleil Shepherd

It don't think that this jetter is meant for large pipe problems, it looks to me like it might be good to use in a clogged sink, bathtub etc.
Nice and handy around the house :)

The GPM required is really low and the commercial washer used is pretty light duty as well it seems, I believe it had a max of 4 GPM requirement?

Paul D.

Guys,

Thanks for these really good questions.

The sewer jetter hose on the model C-100-M (http://www.cloghog.com/model_C-100-M.html) has an outside diameter of just under 0.5". All of our jetters are designed for pressure washers rated up to 4,000 PSI.

The model C-100-M works with virtually all gas-powered pressure washers that have flows from 3.0 to 4.0 PSI. The exception is a couple of "pro-sumer" units (notably Cam Spray 1600HX and 3000HX) that have below average engine horsepower and so need special jetter nozzles to prevent overloading.

This model of jetter is designed for drain pipes up to 6" in diameter. The main drain line in a typical home is 4".

A primary use for these jetters is removal of clogs that accumulate inside main sewer drains. Main drain clogs typically cause multiple fixtures to back up inside a building and are often too far from a drain opening for handheld drain cleaners to be of any use.

Because sewer jetters scrub the sides of dirty pipes they also help prevent the reoccurrence of clogs.

Feedback from customers seems to put the alternative plumber's cost for cleaning a blocked main sewer drain with a mechanical snake at anywhere from around $200 (in the case of a simple job) to over $1,000 (in a case where a plumber told the customer that the clog was so deep that piping would need to be dug out). This is the guy on our customer page (http://www.cloghog.com/sewer-jetter-customers.html) who said he wanted to jump up and down for joy after clearing the clog with our jetter. Of course, all of this doesn't tell us the going rate in your market.

As for licensing, that's a really good question.

We've sold our jetters to smaller plumbers who are already licensed. A large percentage of our other sales has been to maintenance pros – people who handle multiple apartment complexes, retail stores, even oil field service companies.

I'd be interested to hear from other members about licensing requirements to use a jetter as part of a paid service.

As for safety, there's a short write up on our Blog site at http://www.sewerjetgazette.net/sewer-jetter-safety/. When using a sewer jetter attachment you should follow the pressure washer makers' recommendation to wear eye protection and thick, fluid-resistant work gloves. You should also use care to run the nozzle only inside a pipe, and avoid breathing spray mist from sewer pipes by working in a well ventilated area.

Note that these safety guidelines are far different than the precautions needed for larger, purpose-built, truck- or trailer mounted units used by big service companies and municipal sewer cleaners. Those large machines have the power to cut through thick tree roots and can easily do the same with a hand or finger. That's why special training is needed for those big, purpose-built units.

A sewer jetter's cleaning action is much different than the cutting blade on an electric drain snake. There's a YouTube video on our home page at www.cloghog.com that shows the nozzle powered by a midrange gas pressure washer running inside of clear PVC pipe. For those videos we ran the nozzle inside the kind of clear PVC piping used in food processing plants - similar in composition to standard PVC drain pipe. After repeated runs we got a dulling of the inside surface but no etching or pitting that we could feel. Note that we recommend against using jetters inside ceramic pipes.

I hope this all helps. Any more questions please let us know.

- Paul

Jim Cooney

Guys,

Thanks for these really good questions.

The sewer jetter hose on the model C-100-M (http://www.cloghog.com/model_C-100-M.html) has an outside diameter of just under 0.5". All of our jetters are designed for pressure washers rated up to 4,000 PSI.

The model C-100-M works with virtually all gas-powered pressure washers that have flows from 3.0 to 4.0 PSI. The exception is a couple of "pro-sumer" units (notably Cam Spray 1600HX and 3000HX) that have below average engine horsepower and so need special jetter nozzles to prevent overloading.

This model of jetter is designed for drain pipes up to 6" in diameter. The main drain line in a typical home is 4".

A primary use for these jetters is removal of clogs that accumulate inside main sewer drains. Main drain clogs typically cause multiple fixtures to back up inside a building and are often too far from a drain opening for handheld drain cleaners to be of any use.

Because sewer jetters scrub the sides of dirty pipes they also help prevent the reoccurrence of clogs.

Feedback from customers seems to put the alternative plumber's cost for cleaning a blocked main sewer drain with a mechanical snake at anywhere from around $200 (in the case of a simple job) to over $1,000 (in a case where a plumber told the customer that the clog was so deep that piping would need to be dug out). This is the guy on our customer page (http://www.cloghog.com/sewer-jetter-customers.html) who said he wanted to jump up and down for joy after clearing the clog with our jetter. Of course, all of this doesn't tell us the going rate in your market.

As for licensing, that's a really good question.

We've sold our jetters to smaller plumbers who are already licensed. A large percentage of our other sales has been to maintenance pros – people who handle multiple apartment complexes, retail stores, even oil field service companies.

I'd be interested to hear from other members about licensing requirements to use a jetter as part of a paid service.

As for safety, there's a short write up on our Blog site at http://www.sewerjetgazette.net/sewer-jetter-safety/. When using a sewer jetter attachment you should follow the pressure washer makers' recommendation to wear eye protection and thick, fluid-resistant work gloves. You should also use care to run the nozzle only inside a pipe, and avoid breathing spray mist from sewer pipes by working in a well ventilated area.

Note that these safety guidelines are far different than the precautions needed for larger, purpose-built, truck- or trailer mounted units used by big service companies and municipal sewer cleaners. Those large machines have the power to cut through thick tree roots and can easily do the same with a hand or finger. That's why special training is needed for those big, purpose-built units.

A sewer jetter's cleaning action is much different than the cutting blade on an electric drain snake. There's a YouTube video on our home page at www.cloghog.com that shows the nozzle powered by a midrange gas pressure washer running inside of clear PVC pipe. For those videos we ran the nozzle inside the kind of clear PVC piping used in food processing plants - similar in composition to standard PVC drain pipe. After repeated runs we got a dulling of the inside surface but no etching or pitting that we could feel. Note that we recommend against using jetters inside ceramic pipes.

I hope this all helps. Any more questions please let us know.

- Paul

Paul,

My post was in no means an attempt to deter contractors from purchasing this item or others from you or any other supplier. My intent was to share my recent conversation with my licensed and insure plumber friend.

The rooter and sewer jetting contractors, at least in my area, charge an arm and a leg for their services. Would definitely be a niche market if some pressure washing professionals could offer this additional service along with their hood cleaning and flatwork contracts with their restaurant clients.

I think the 2 major issues that need to be looked into are the licensing requirements, if any, and more importantly the insurance coverage requirements and costs.

Looking forward to learning what members have discovered across the country.