• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Concrete with tar how to remove it?

Mike Fox

This is a concrete balcony on a commercial building. They want to start using this outdoor area. Looks like tar paper asphalt and tar were on it for quite a while. The tar paper/asphalt will be removed prior but they want the concrete cleaned. Any suggestions on best method to clean this?

60 x 20 ft

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG00014-20100208-1606.jpg
    IMG00014-20100208-1606.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG00015-20100208-1606.jpg
    IMG00015-20100208-1606.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Cooney

Re: Concrete with tar

I've removed tar successfully, but more times than not the concrete will remained stained. If the customer is expecting like new concrete look, pass on it.

cleanhoods

After you clean the concrete to cover the stain use concrete stain to cover the stain.Hope this makes sence,lol.
Marko:biggrin:

Mike Fox

Follow up. I am planning on painting this concrete balcony. I cleaned off all the asphalt and steam cleaned the concrete. There are still some areas that are holding tar and oils in the concrete. I know this because when wet some areas have beading water. Any suggestions for removing this before I paint it?

Thanks

Jim Cooney

Any areas left that still contain oil or petroleum products will make any coating you plan to apply fail.

Is the oil pumping up out of the concrete, or is it all on the surface ?

You need a product like ASTEC Bcs-4 spec which is compatible with the tar/asphalt emulsion, best use ASTEC ASPHALT primer, etc, there are certified astec installers across the country