• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

BMI Meeting

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
So I went to a BMI meeting last night and felt a bit uncomfortable. As soon as I walked in the door I was questioned. I had my company jacket on and someone asked who asked me to come. So I explained who and they told me they allready had a power washing company in the group and that I could stay but could not give out cards or become a member! Now this is America, a free country, So BS to that I think I spoke to everyone in the room and gave out 2 cards to everyone I met last night. That ****ed the other so called PW company off and they called me today to tell me off!! Little did he know if he would have kept his mouth shut I most likely could have gave him alot of work in his area. Dumbass!! I just dont know how people think sometimes. Just wanted to share.
God bless the UAMCC

Lonnie Greenwood

I'm sorry that happened. You would think that they would welcome someone knew with open arms no matter if there was another PW company there or not. If Mr. Smith was a locksmith and there was another locksmith would they treat him in the same manner? I should hope not. I'm also shocked that the other PW guy actually had the nerve to call you and treat you that way.

I hope that you get calls for work from someone at the meeting.

Doug Tripp

When I was invited to a BNI meeting, there was a painter who also does P/Wing. He objected and I was told the same thing, no speaking, no memebership, etc, I just left the meeting.
But that's their rules, one member from each profession/industry

David Vicars

Jim, your friend is the one the other PW company should've called.

BNI is a catagory exclusive networking group. I am not a member of BNI, but I understand what their rules are, I've went as a guest a couple of times.

I'm sure your friend wouldn't like if someone in the group invited someone in their catagory to a meeting.

Doug, unless the painter has paid for two catagories, what they did to you is BS. I would've left also, but not before telling their president about it.

Michael Kreisle

Contributing Member
Same thing happened to me. I went through all the motions and filled and app, wrote a check and went to four meetings only to find that I was not approved because the Handyman in the group squatted on Pressure Washing and objected to my being approved.

Sucked because during those 4 meetings, I passed him some low ticket PW jobs that we don't do like a single patio or driveway. And I always get folks wanting to know if we do anything els like fix a sink or something. I passed this guy leads during that month. Complete BS.

I stood up in the room and stated clearly that there was no way in Hell, that if one of them got a lead on an entire apatment complex or Parking Garage, that this fool would be able to handle it. I got a lead the next week from one of them to go look at a parking Garage. Didn't get the gig, but they were smart enough not to pass that lead to the Handyman.

Oh, and I did 3 roof cleans for 3 of the members. They even knew not to trust that back stabbing Handyman.

Terry Miller

Great post folks. If I can add to the questions and comments. 1st BNI Business Network International is an International organization whose purpose is to pass out referrals. I belong to the Hall Of Fame Chapter in Canton Ohio. We started December of 2008. Being a year old, went from a handfull to 45 members. I am the only Painter / Pressure Washer in the group. This is one rule. Only one business of it's kind may be represented. If someone wanted to come in as either Paint or PW, it is legal. The new member would have to be investigated and approved by the membership committee. If I knew they were trying to bring either in, I could let the committee know my feelings. This may or may not stop it. When we had few members, it probably would have happened. Now with 46 members, we look closely who gets in. We would not accept a Handyman into our group as this is a problem for various trades and businesses. As far as meetings, you are a guest for the first two visits. At that point, they want either an application or find another group to join. The BNI is everywhere. We have three within 25 miles. I could join another, but I am not personally allowed to represent my company as I already do in the HOF Chapter. Our newest group is just starting. If another painter / PWer wants to join, we recommend them to that Chapter. They need one. Our meetings are every Tuesday 7am. It is essential someone be there representing us. If we miss three meetings within 6 months, our position may be open for a new member in our catagorie. Being on time and not leaving early is essential also. During the meeting, if there is a visitor, no matter who, they are asked to associate with others. We want them to talk to our members and find if the BNI is a good fit for them. During the actual meeting we pass a business card holder. Actually two as we are so big. The visitor may take cards from the file, but asked not to pass their cards till they are accepted into the group. We are all given 45 seconds to relate our business info. The guest is given the same chance after all members are done. After the meeting the visitors are asked to visit with our membership comm. and given a question and answer period to help them decide if they want in or not. All pretty simple. One problem is many members do not understand the real way BNI is supposed to work. This causes misunderstandings and resentment of Visitors in their catagorie. Kind of like many Organizations. Over all BNI is very good to us.
We have received enough business last year to make up 5% of our gross business. We are very active and enjoy the weekly get together. I work very hard passing referrals to my fellow members. We have a saying "Givers Gain"! It works. Of course not everyone is acclimated to the proper workings as they should be. Believe it or not, I question our Officers from time to time! LOL This is one way to keep everyone focused.

Our group is 46 members strong,
Pass out from 30-85 referrals per week,
Have done $1,125,000 in business for our first year.
Hope this helps.
Thank you

Attachments

• Refuse recession.jpg
    Refuse recession.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 15

plainpainter

I know several people in my area that do or had done BNI - I think overall it's very cultish in how it's run. There is an appeal to join if you need business - but I'd think someone who has a little marketing empire with good gross sales - BNI would be more of an impediment than help. Just think - as an owner, one morning during the work week is totally shot. And not every group is good. I know a painter that does it - and it seems the expectation is that jobs/leads have to be done at whatever 'budget' the customer wants. If you pass up too many leads or are too high in price, it won't work out very well. I'd rather learn to network with apartment/condo associations and spend a morning per week with them instead of trying to find leads for other members.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
When I was invited to a BNI meeting, there was a painter who also does P/Wing. He objected and I was told the same thing, no speaking, no memebership, etc, I just left the meeting.
But that's their rules, one member from each profession/industry

I got a call today to bid two entrance ways to a parking garage from the contacts I made from this meeting. Just opend my email and have an estimate on a roof clean for a realtor. The other PW guy is a handy man with a no real education in power washing. I will not be going back to thier meeting but I did get some good contacts.