• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Is Heat cost effective?

What is most effective on a shopping center maintenance account?

• Total voters

Chris Tharpe

Cold water = poor cleaning
Hot water alone= decent cleaning
hot water and chemicals= best overall product we can sell with flatwork in most settings.

Now in PM work on regular maintenance, we typically use just heat alone and only use detergents when necessary for restaurant entrances and other tough cleaning areas.

cleanhoods

Heat and chems i dont know what i would do without eather.
You can have the chem but no heat then what and you can have heat and no chem and then what GOTTA have the combination of both to give the best service to your customer!!!
Marko

Chris Hartje

Contributing Member
Cold water = poor cleaning
Hot water alone= decent cleaning
hot water and chemicals= best overall product we can sell with flatwork in most settings.

Now in PM work on regular maintenance, we typically use just heat alone and only use detergents when necessary for restaurant entrances and other tough cleaning areas.

Well said.

terryfish1968

Hey Ron its nice to be seen ... I started PW last spring did some driveways / sidewalks a gas station 2 taco bell and 40 roofs use the Roof Reviver system , but im finding out that even low pressure is not good for roofs ... From what I have been reading its all about the chemicals ... So my goal is to find out as much as I can about the right Chemicals & methods ... I have 2 friends with lots of concrete jobs for me in the spring ... Terry Fish

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
With flat work heat is more important than chemicals. With the use of heat chemicals are not needed in very strong concentrations or at all to do the same job, making it much safer and easier.

Mark G

My sentiments exactly! We do mostly flat work , retail sidewalk etc and hardly ever have to use chems. Cant imagine doing flatwork without heat. 8 GPMs also goes a long way to speed up final rinsing!

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
I've seen a center done by a fellow contractor on the boards that looks immaculate. He only turns the burner on to pop gum and has never used heat with the SC.

He uses the same chem everytime. It's mild enough that it feels warm, but doesn't burn your skin.

I think he is doing them monthly.

We tried to do a side by side comparison with hot water and cold with the surface cleaner and can't tell any difference. I still theorize that the contact time of the water with the concrete using a surface cleaner is too short of a time span to make a difference. It's like plunging your hand under a 200 degree faucet and jerking it back real quick. Some surface dirt will, of course, come off, but your hands won't be clean. It takes a little soap and some time to come clean. I don't see how the hot water has enough time to do anything different from the same volume and pressure of cold water in that short of a time.

Maybe it's so subtle of a difference that it appears to be a bigger difference in the overall picture with a little faster cleaning times.

Jillian Shelton

Contributing Member
I would say the combination of all three and obviously someone who knows what they are doing. I've seen cold water work I just like using hot water.

Gene Beck

Yep cold water will work. Here's my experience for what it worh. We have several accounts we clean regirlary and we experimented with using hot only for gum removal and cold for sc and rinsing. After 6 months we went back to hot cleaning. You could tell the difference. I have to stick with my otiginal post. PS if you are using only cold water I will take your work cause hot+chems deliver superior results.