PDA

View Full Version : Roof cleaning salution

terryfish1968
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I have been trying everything from 30/70 to 100% chlorine Roof still looks dirty ... Any IDEALS ...

Russ Spence
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Terry - what type of roof is it?

What was the temp where you were?

Are you using 12.5% if so are you absolutly sure it is fresh?

Post a few pics if you can or email them to me at russ@prokleenpressurewashing.com but it would be better if you post them

also last but not least what type of pump are you applying the chems with?

terryfish1968
04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I dont have any pictures . the S/H I used was 10% & was fiberglass shingles . It was very filthy . I just took a look at it. the part that I used the straight chlorine looks pretty good . Hey Russ I should tell you that I have never used bleach or chlorine and I am running test before I go jump on some one else house . I have a 3000 sq ft roof to do in a week or two

Russ Spence
04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Terry, its funny about the mix, in my oponion the water actually makes it work better.

With a 10% solution I would probably go 60/40 being 60% bleach

I use a high volume pupm that put out almost 10 gpm its easier to use a weaker mix with doing it that way

What type of pump do you have and are you using a surfactant?

Chris Francis
04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I agree with Russ 60/40 blend also it sound like your bleach might be weaker 10% did you us any type soap on the roof. I get foaming type soap from local chem supplier.

terryfish1968
04-14-2011, 04:25 AM
I tryed using dawn ... but the roof turned a yellowish color ... I will see if the pool store has any 12.50% and try 60/40 ... I just want to get it right ... Thanks guy for the info ...

Russ Spence
04-14-2011, 09:17 AM
if its the wrong type of Dawn ie Dawn Ultra, it will screw up the mix, its not stable with Sodium Hypochlorite

Where are you located?

terryfish1968
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Rockford Il ... I used Dawn unleaded ... I think I should make a full batch ... I have been using a pump up sprayer ... I am wondering if that may have anything to do with it ...

Russ Spence
04-15-2011, 12:56 AM
it has every thing to do with it, I never had great results until I switched to a dedicated roof pump

I use a Yamada air diaphram pump and a gas powered air compressor, prior to that I used a 12volt Fatboy system with a accumulator tank set at 60 psi

I still run 1/2 inch Goodyear Pliovic hose and a Titan stainless reel with a stainless manifold

To be honest you just cant do it properly with a pump up sprayer plus its way to time consuming and dangerous to boot!

Russ Spence
04-15-2011, 12:56 AM
it has every thing to do with it, I never had great results until I switched to a dedicated roof pump

I use a Yamada air diaphram pump and a gas powered air compressor, prior to that I used a 12volt Fatboy system with a accumulator tank set at 60 psi

I still run 1/2 inch Goodyear Pliovic hose and a Titan stainless reel with a stainless manifold

To be honest you just cant do it properly with a pump up sprayer plus its way to time consuming and dangerous to boot!

terryfish1968
04-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you Russ ... I have a friend that needs his roof done ... I will talk to him and see if I can use his roof ... I was using the pump sprayer just to test with ... God bless & have a awesome day...

terryfish1968
04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey Russ ... I would like to thank you for your honesty ... I have talked with a few other guys & they have said too say the least alot of things ... and I thought I was doing something completely wrong when it came to the mix ... But what your saying about having the proper equipment makes all the difrents in the world ... Thanks agin Terry Fish ...

Russ Spence
04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Not a problem Terry, fi you need help with a simple setup to get it done and get started at a lower cost give me a shout, I will help you with an equipment list.

terryfish1968
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Hey Russ whens a good time to call ya ... you sound like busy man...

terryfish1968
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Hey Russ I tryed the 60/40 with some 12.5% turned out a whole lot better ...I thinking that 10% s/h may have been old ... I was reading a tread on powderd bleach from delux any thoughts...

Russ Spence
04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey Russ I tryed the 60/40 with some 12.5% turned out a whole lot better ...I thinking that 10% s/h may have been old ... I was reading a tread on powderd bleach from delux any thoughts...
Powdered bleach does not work, it has been taken off the market

terryfish1968
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Okay ... Pressure Tek has a few kits Delavan 5800 1/2 poly kit ... I think its a fair price all need to do is buy a tank put it together .. I found 12.5% did the 60/40 and it worked great ... I think Im gonna go with a 100 glln tank ...

A-OK Pressure Wasing
05-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I bought my roof kit from pressure tek and love it. Make sure you get the pump in a box upgrade. Well worth the investment!!

terryfish1968
05-09-2011, 09:11 AM
I was just looking at the up grades ... looks like a great ideal ... Im thinking of holding off for awhile and buying 1 of the whole setups with everything ...Theres a guy here in town that has a system ... hes asking for a $1000 ...

extremewash
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM
hey guys im finding some very useful info on this site i have a question an it may sound dumb. i see yall talking about using a 60/40 mix which i know what that means so my question is i am using downstreaming so of course when i use the SH i put it in a bucket and let it mix it self is that the wrong way? should i use dawn if so how much do dawn would i use in a five gallon bucket of SH. and im asking for doing a house not for a roof i know using a pressure washer is no good for a roof

Tim Fields
05-20-2011, 06:24 AM
hey guys im finding some very useful info on this site i have a question an it may sound dumb. i see yall talking about using a 60/40 mix which i know what that means so my question is i am using downstreaming so of course when i use the SH i put it in a bucket and let it mix it self is that the wrong way? should i use dawn if so how much do dawn would i use in a five gallon bucket of SH. and im asking for doing a house not for a roof i know using a pressure washer is no good for a roof

There are some guys who know what they're doing who do as you describe using SH, water, downstreamed. Most use some type of soap with the SH/water mix. Dawn is often used for a roof cleaning surfactant, but you'll probably get better house wash results if you use a soap made for house washing. Usually, that soap will have detergent builders and water softener agents blended in which helps greatly in the rinse process.

Chris Tucker
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Forget the downstreaming brother, that is not how we clean roofs in tampa (http://www.showmelocal.com/profile.aspx?bid=4955).
You need to get you a dedicated chemical pump. Downstreaming will not allow you to get enough chemical strength to clean a roof, unless you have a very small GPM machine. Even then, it is a hokey way to clean a roof. 12 volt roof cleaning pumps can be had at Northern Tool under 100 dollars, just be sure to use at least 1/2 hose, and 5/8 hose works even better.

Mathew Johnson
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM

We use the same setup in our box truck with the yamada pump and compressor - had it for six years now - same pump and same compressor with 200 feet of polybraid hose. We have it set up on a manifold with ball valves to draw deck stripper, oxalic, roof mix or a misc detergent.... what ever we need. We have ran everything through this from the things listed to hydrochloric acid, hydroflouric acid, and even readyseal. We have a ball valve plumbed to water so it is easy to rinse it out between chems.

Great system and a great bang for the buck

Bill Booz
12-15-2011, 10:59 PM
We use the same setup in our box truck with the yamada pump and compressor - had it for six years now - same pump and same compressor with 200 feet of polybraid hose. We have it set up on a manifold with ball valves to draw deck stripper, oxalic, roof mix or a misc detergent.... what ever we need. We have ran everything through this from the things listed to hydrochloric acid, hydroflouric acid, and even readyseal. We have a ball valve plumbed to water so it is easy to rinse it out between chems.

Great system and a great bang for the buck

It's true, these systems are very reliable!! I had a similar rig run to a holding tank for SH, mix tank and miscellaneous tank for anything else. The only part that would go bad were the valves. We have been using electricpumps on a smaller truck as a space saver. They are not as dependable.