• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

pricing advice

pascack

I am doing an estimate and it seems too high.
here are the detailsa lower deck
15x15 with 23 linear ft of railings

and upper deck of
22X16 with a extra area of of 3 x 10
with 38 linear ft of railing

the back side of the railings need a stripper, then a deck wash treatment then power wash
and finish off with a clear sealer... probably Cabotts or BM.

I am coming up with $2,266 I know I am basically asking for a math check figureing the $2 Per Sq ft.

The owner told me that 3 years ago he paid $1200 or so......If that is the case why is he getting other prices? It has held up well for three years, looks like the previous guy did a decent job. I am wondering if I am totally out of line but from what I have read I am right there on price....Please help

Last edited:

Ken Fenner

You need to charge as much as you need to stay in business. $1,200 may not have kept the other guy in business, thus you are out there giving a proposal. The H.O. could be shopping for an even cheaper price, in which case, I would walk. Based on your process and sealer choice, and this question in general (with no disrespect meant), I am going to assume you don't do many decks. Keeping in mind that I am most likely more efficient than you in the process and that I probably buy my materials cheaper, I'd probably be in the $1,850 range unless there are layers of acrylic or a solid stain.

Clear sealers are going to let the wood turn gray. I always let homeowners know that the tint in sealers is what is sacrificial to UV rays. That helps the finish last longer and provides better protection. Oil based products are all that we use. Again, better protection and longevity as well as ease of maintenance.
www.armclark.com

pascack

Ken,
no offence taken. I have done a few decks this year but they were casual gigs, family and friends. I used to do decks often in the 80's and early 90's. I am coming back to it and I am
not familliar with pricing in the currant market. I totally agree with respect to product.
although I get a pretty good price as I sold coatings for the better part of 20 years.
and there is no doubt in my mind that you Sir are far more efficiant than I.

I thank you for taking the time to help me out...I appreciate your input.
Mike

Guy Blackmon

Welcome Mike! Ken knows his stuff when it comes to wood, his advice is "Gold". I whole heartily agree about the Clear stuff, won't last 3-4 months tops.

There are 2 kinds of customers....1 wants it done & done cheap...... And 1 wants a quality job at a fair price.... I prefer the latter.

There is a certain profit margin we need to hit to be able to stay in business. If I can't hit it, I don't do it...just that simple...I can be broke at home. Only you know what your margin is.

Good Luck Buddy!!!

Russ Spence

Welcome Mike! Ken knows his stuff when it comes to wood, his advice is "Gold". I whole heartily agree about the Clear stuff, won't last 3-4 months tops.

There are 2 kinds of customers....1 wants it done & done cheap...... And 1 wants a quality job at a fair price.... I prefer the latter.

There is a certain profit margin we need to hit to be able to stay in business. If I can't hit it, I don't do it...just that simple...I can be broke at home. Only you know what your margin is.

Good Luck Buddy!!!

where is the like button?

Damaris Sutton

I am doing an estimate and it seems too high.
here are the detailsa lower deck
15x15 with 23 linear ft of railings

and upper deck of
22X16 with a extra area of of 3 x 10
with 38 linear ft of railing

the back side of the railings need a stripper, then a deck wash treatment then power wash
and finish off with a clear sealer... probably Cabotts or BM.

Did you mean your going to strip and brighten the entire deck or are you saying that only a few sections need to be stripped and the rest just need a deck wash? I would follow up with a brightener after the deck wash just to be safe anyhow.

The owner told me that 3 years ago he paid $1200 or so......If that is the case why is he getting other prices? It has held up well for three years, looks like the previous guy did a decent job. I am wondering if I am totally out of line but from what I have read I am right there on price....Please help

Never go into pricing as to what you think the homeowner will accept because the hard fact is that they do not know what you need to make to keep in business. I got to a point that I never negotiate my prices, but I have been in painting for along while and power washing for several. Now, when I first started I did negotiate to get my name out there and I still always cut a better deal for friends and do it for free for family, so that never changes.

I am in line with Ken on price, could go up a bit or down a bit depending of how it looked, but I totally agree with Ken on a oil based stain because it will penetrate the wood better and last longer. A deck I am finishing in Wernersville PA I priced out at $2.50 a SF because it has not drank any stain since it was made. Got a few boards to replace that is going to be extra also. Its pretty much a one level easy to get to deck. Price raises when I have to raise up on ladders :>)