• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Newbie Chemical Question

jutt25

Can someone turn me onto a couple of good cleaning products for driveways and decks? It doesn't matter if there online products or DIY mixes. I have a x-jet for downstreaming and a pump sprayer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
If the driveway is not "heavily dirty" I use plain water and my surface scrubber. I will then spray some of my house wash mix on it and leave it to dry, it will really brighten up the concrete. For decks, I use plain water. I am not in the 'deck restoration" business, so if they are wanting anything beyond a basic clean up, I ahve some one local here I refer them to.

Hopefully others will chime in herewith what they use.

jutt25

Thanks for the reply! I purchased some concrete wash from a local supplier that I use for fittings, nozzles ect.. I'm pretty sure some of the guys on this form have a basic mix that is a ton better and cost awhole lot less they may be willing to share the recipe.
Thanks again

Ken Fenner

Bleach is the go-to chemical for most. if you need more cleaning power, add a little sodium hydroxide. Just watch your runoff and landscaping.

Guy Blackmon

+1 on what Ken said Buddy. Bleach and a good surfactant (soap) are the main ingredients for most pressure washers. While the X-Jet is a great tool, do your research on down-streaming, much easier and safer. Takes the "Oh Crap" factor out of using the high pressure X-Jet for guys that are new to the biz.

Welcome Aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chazz

Hey guy what's up? I just bought an x-jet m5. My injector crapper out in me. I'm curious what is the oh crap factor ?

Ken Fenner

I'm venturing that Guy is talking about the "mark of Zorro" that the X-Jet can leave on oxidized siding. As in "oh crap, I gotta call my insurance company". (also applied to siding blown halfway down the block). Figuring out downstreaming = X-Jet being used as a paper weight.

Guy Blackmon

Got to say we were quite lucky starting out, we too started with the M-5. It didn't take long to figure out that, although a great tool it produced too much pressure. The user ( if not experienced or monitored closely) could cause damage easily.

That being said, we've got M-5's in both our trucks, these are great tools to have for certain jobs but not for the bulk of our work which is house or siding washing.

Put a pressure gauge on your hose and engage your gun with the M-5, you will find a psi around 1500-2000 psi, much too high IMO, this is high psi not low (safe) psi. Downstreaming (the process we use) uses less than 500 psi.

Guy Blackmon

X-jet has a model called the M-5 it's the one with the adjustable nozzle. Yes it is good but only in certain situations.

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Guy I have no experience with the m-5. But what about the adjustable black nozzle that could be dialed down. No good?

It's not really a dialed down adjustment, it goes from a fan 60 degree spray to more of 0 degree spray. The original x-jet comes with a nozzle that can be screwed in the the x jet nozzle for light pressure application. If you go with an M-5 or x jet, first thing to do is replace the hose it comes with with a 40-50 footer so you are not having to move the bucket as much. Set your bucket up midway point that you are cleaning so you can can apply 40 feet from you bucket and them apply 40 feet past the bucket.

x jet and M-5work great for applying mixes on harder surfaces like brick, stone, hardie plank siding, concrete surfaces, etc. For softer surfaces, like vinyl or surfaces with a lot of oxidation, I would suggest down streaming or dedicated pump. And then rising very lightly.

X-jet and M-5 comes with proportioners that can help you meter the amount of mix you apply. For using basic house wash mix of SH, Soap and water, you will NOT use a proportioner. This will cause you to use way more mix than if you were to downstream.

Down Streaming to me is by far the easiest and most productive way to clean a home or building. I carry the original x jet on my truck, and do use it occasionally but rarely on homes. I use it for large buildings some times and also on driveways or larger concrete surfaces like parking lot's.

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Guy I have no experience with the m-5. But what about the adjustable black nozzle that could be dialed down. No good?

It's not really a dialed down adjustment, it goes from a fan 60 degree spray to more of 0 degree spray. The original x-jet comes with a nozzle that can be screwed in the the x jet nozzle for light pressure application. If you go with an M-5 or x jet, first thing to do is replace the hose it comes with with a 40-50 footer so you are not having to move the bucket as much. Set your bucket up midway point that you are cleaning so you can can apply 40 feet from you bucket and them apply 40 feet past the bucket.

x jet and M-5work great for applying mixes on harder surfaces like brick, stone, hardie plank siding, concrete surfaces, etc. For softer surfaces, like vinyl or surfaces with a lot of oxidation, I would suggest down streaming or dedicated pump. And then rising very lightly.

X-jet and M-5 comes with proportioners that can help you meter the amount of mix you apply. For using basic house wash mix of SH, Soap and water, you will NOT use a proportioner. This will cause you to use way more mix than if you were to downstream.

Down Streaming to me is by far the easiest and most productive way to clean a home or building. I carry the original x jet on my truck, and do use it occasionally but rarely on homes. I use it for large buildings some times and also on driveways or larger concrete surfaces like parking lot's.