• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Pressure washing a picket fence

I have a customer that has a vinyl picket fence with lots of mold on it. What is the best way to deliver the bleach and detergent mixture on this type of fence? I would think that downstreaming would waste a lot of mixture.

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
or an x-jet may be good. If you don't have one the pump up won't be too slow, especially if you have a helper to spray ahead of you.

Javier Nevarez

I recently watched a video on youtube that left me with a bit of confusion and curiosity, so i figured id ask the pros...i do apologize if im asking on the wrong thread, just didnt know where it would be best placed. This is the link to the vid http://youtu.be/qWH6B3i5D4A...

im not too familiar with fence/deck restoration, but i definitely want to get into that part of the business...with alot of the research ive done on fence/deck restoration, ive found that in order to achieve that like new fence/deck it must be pressure washed at some point, which is what makes it a branch of our industry...the guy on the video simply applies the chem with a pump sprayer and hes done!!!...what gives??...i really appreciate any input, just trying to wrap my head around this...thanx

Charlie Soden

Contributing Member
Hi Javier, I'm happy to help you with any wood restoration questions you might have. I can't speak to the nature of that video since it doesn't give much additional information, but my guess is he is applying some sort of acid brightener which basically lightens up the boards so they "look" like new. His website says he uses ton-toxic chemical which could mean anything so that doesn't really give me much to go on.

I've cleaned a lot of wood over the years and as you can imagine, at some point for that fence to be actually "clean" you would have to rinse or power wash it to some degree. Otherwise where does all the dirt and grime and dead wood fibers go? Espeically along the bottom of hte fence where you get all the grass clippings and mud hitting it. You certainly couldn't stain over a fence like the one he cleaned in the video.

This is why typically we apply a bleach and soap solution to all our fence cleanings (or a stripper if there is old stain to be removed), we let that soak for a few minutes and then come and power wash the entire fence to rinse off all the soap and cleaner and all the dirt on the fence. After washing I also put a brightener on the wood to improve the appearance and prepare it for staining.

Jason Reider

I recently watched a video on youtube that left me with a bit of confusion and curiosity, so i figured id ask the pros...i do apologize if im asking on the wrong thread, just didnt know where it would be best placed. This is the link to the vid http://youtu.be/qWH6B3i5D4A...

im not too familiar with fence/deck restoration, but i definitely want to get into that part of the business...with alot of the research ive done on fence/deck restoration, ive found that in order to achieve that like new fence/deck it must be pressure washed at some point, which is what makes it a branch of our industry...the guy on the video simply applies the chem with a pump sprayer and hes done!!!...what gives??...i really appreciate any input, just trying to wrap my head around this...thanx

This definitely doesn't clean the wood. There is a much more involved process as Charlie noted.

This guy probably runs all around town with his sprayer full of a brightener doing his "magic" on fences. Then the wood turns gray again and deteriorates quickly because he offers no real solution or protection. No worries though. He makes real wood restoration guys look great and probably has customers that are looking for a very cheap price.

Last edited:

Vic Irish

I have been pressure washing about 200' of fir fence every couple years for about 20 years.
Always apply Chevron Shingle Oil afterwards.
Oil keeps the wood young looking.
Wonder what would happen if I used that chemical to brighten the wood, then applied the shingle oil, instead of time consuming pw'ing.
Penny for your thoughts, but I can't wait to try a surface cleaner any way...
Washing fence pic 11-4-99.jpg
Thanks again,
vic

Javier Nevarez

Thanx for the info Charlie!...I kinda figured that might be what was going on, but I dont have much experience with wood restoration at the moment so i was a little confused. Its good to hear it coming from a pro though, it gives me peace of mind to know that there is still a need for us to get in there and PW in order to restore that wood!...Im definitely going to continue to research and get more info on this part of the industry, and more than likely will need to ask a few more questions. I really appreciate everyones willingness to help!...

I have to agree 100% with Charlie the oxidized layer of wood has to be removed by sanding or by the power washer, and like he said that light spray can not remove the dirt or clippings it is still there. After we clean a bad fence you can see the old oxidized layer that was taken off mostly on the cuffs of my pants and the wand I feel the trick is to just remove that layer and not gouge out any thing. We wash the fences and the painter puts on the stain I don't believe he would let me get away with that. I sure would like to know what in the jug though it worked so fast I could not hardly believe it. Good luck in your project.

Javier Nevarez

Thanx Pete... and yes I agree it does have the "wow" factor, and im sure he's getting a ton of naive homeowners to buy into it. Definitely can't blame them though, it really does look like magic!..I'm just glad I found my way to this forum where I can ask some pros, if not I would have been suckered too!!... lol