• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

when to use a water tank?

Jeremy Pate

So, whats the biggest machine (gpm) I can use before needing a water tank?
I've never had a machine bigger than 4gpm but I'm sure I'll need one this year.

Randy Borio

Anything over 4 gpm. That's about all you'll get from a residential hose bib. Commercial isn't much better. And if you will be running two machines then you will defiantly need a tank. If you have a direct drive machine you'll also need a water pump to help the machine draw water. Belt drive not so much.

David Besse

Anything over 4 gpm. That's about all you'll get from a residential hose bib. Commercial isn't much better. And if you will be running two machines then you will defiantly need a tank. If you have a direct drive machine you'll also need a water pump to help the machine draw water. Belt drive not so much.

I agree w/Randy!!

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
You could push it to 6 but a float tank would really be a good idea, it only takes one low flow house to damage the pump. You can make a portable float tank for under $20 with a small bucket (rectangular) and a bulkhead fitting. For a few more bucks you can add a float. You only need about 5 gallons as a buffer tank, if the flow is low you will know as soon as the tank gets too low and then you just let off the trigger for a min or two. When you are done just dump the 5 gal of water out and put it back in the truck.

Jeremy Pate

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll be getting a water tank soon just so I don't have to keep sub-contracting some of these jobs.
How much is that water pump randy was mentioning?
anywhere I can buy it online or should I go local?

Chris Chappell

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll be getting a water tank soon just so I don't have to keep sub-contracting some of these jobs.
How much is that water pump randy was mentioning?
anywhere I can buy it online or should I go local?

A lot of direct drive machines will not pull water from a tank, you can rig up a tank and give it a try but don't run it for more than seconds if water does not come out of the gun.

It is a lot of hassle to try to rig up a pump as that pump will need water at 40psi minimum and a battery source or electric outlet for the electric pump to run so now you could be looking at a generator or marine battery or large 12 volt pump. If the pump goes out, power goes out or anything else happens to the pump feeding the pressure washer you will cavitate the pump and possibly ruin the packings.

I would just keep on connecting to a hose and when you buy the larger belt drive pressure washer, then install a 50 gallon (minimum) buffer tank for that machine and either leave the other at home or have a helper use it with the garden hose. This is a good choice so you don't risk a possibility of messing up the smaller pressure washer using pumps that can go out, lose power or charge.

Good luck.

Jeremy Pate

Good point chris.
Random and possibly stupid question, but if we're running 2 machines off the house, does this lower the gpm coming from them?

Mike Inman

A lot of direct drive machines will not pull water from a tank, you can rig up a tank and give it a try but don't run it for more than seconds if water does not come out of the gun.

It is a lot of hassle to try to rig up a pump as that pump will need water at 40psi minimum and a battery source or electric outlet for the electric pump to run so now you could be looking at a generator or marine battery or large 12 volt pump. If the pump goes out, power goes out or anything else happens to the pump feeding the pressure washer you will cavitate the pump and possibly ruin the packings.

I would just keep on connecting to a hose and when you buy the larger belt drive pressure washer, then install a 50 gallon (minimum) buffer tank for that machine and either leave the other at home or have a helper use it with the garden hose. This is a good choice so you don't risk a possibility of messing up the smaller pressure washer using pumps that can go out, lose power or charge.

Good luck.

I agree with Chris.