• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Does anybody do garage floor epoxy?

Michael Kidwell

Was walking through home depot the other day and a sales guy was trying to sell me on doing garage floors, I hadn't really considered it before. It looks like a really time sensitive project and I was a little concerned about getting the right amount of flakes distributed across the floor as to make it look even, I'm not a really artsy guy. I would guess you just hit the floor with some muratic and pressure off whatever is left then do the coating. Any experienced guys out there? Is this pretty much the sequence? How much of a pain is this type of project?

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
I did a few some years back and they where pretty simple with 1 part epoxy. Just cleaned, removed grease let dry and applied with rollers. (2 visits) I think we used E-1 by drylock. We also would paint the whole garage and that added on nicely. Worst part was removing all their stored items and the cleaning/wall prep. Probably not the strongest coating you can use, but claims to hold up for this type of project.
I know there are some guys out there that do the flake like your talking about hopefully they will chime in.

Clark Hussey

UAMCC*Member
Was walking through home depot the other day and a sales guy was trying to sell me on doing garage floors, I hadn't really considered it before. It looks like a really time sensitive project and I was a little concerned about getting the right amount of flakes distributed across the floor as to make it look even, I'm not a really artsy guy. I would guess you just hit the floor with some muratic and pressure off whatever is left then do the coating. Any experienced guys out there? Is this pretty much the sequence? How much of a pain is this type of project?

we do 30 plus a year. The best prep is a mechanical prep not an acid etch. If you acid etch you need to wait several days for the floor to dry out before applying the epoxy. We only offer full chip floors. There are many better products out there than what you can get at Home Depot. Check out what David Phillips carries at Southern Stain and seal. We you fast set epoxy and most jobs are done in one day. Give me a call if you want to talk about how to do floors.

Josh Davis

I looked into it for a while and I actually did one that turned out pretty well. Whatever you do though, don't use that Home Depot stuff. Have heard a lot of negative about that stuff. I wouldn't trust it. You will probably end up regretting it if the customer calls you back in a couple years with the epoxy peeling off of the floor. And there's nothing you can do to fix it except a grind it down to bare concrete and start from scratch. If you're going to try it use the good stuff. I know Sherwin Williams has some good stuff. I forget what it's called, but it's at 2 part epoxy and can be a pain to deal with. I haven't tried anything else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Michael Kidwell

we do 30 plus a year. The best prep is a mechanical prep not an acid etch. If you acid etch you need to wait several days for the floor to dry out before applying the epoxy. We only offer full chip floors. There are many better products out there than what you can get at Home Depot. Check out what David Phillips carries at Southern Stain and seal. We you fast set epoxy and most jobs are done in one day. Give me a call if you want to talk about how to do floors.
Thanks for speaking with me today Clark!

Dave Mac

Clark how do you check to see if you have a moisture problem comming up from the floor in wich case thier will be a coatings failure in the near future???

thanks
dave

Clark Hussey

UAMCC*Member
Clark how do you check to see if you have a moisture problem comming up from the floor in wich case thier will be a coatings failure in the near future???

thanks
dave

easiest way is to tape a 12 x 12" piece of 6 mil plastic to the floor for 24 hours and see if it collects any moisture.