• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

oxidized vinyle siding

Bob Gomez

Hey fellow washers. I have been running into a problem with some vinyle jobs recently, need some advice. I downstream 15% sh with simple cherry straight out of a bucket with a resulting 10:1 ratio. cleans well but every now and then I get an bad finish. The siding appears chaulky, and has a dried drip look to it (usually brownish in color). When I wipe the siding with a damp rag (after cleaning), the color of the siding is on the rag. I'm thinking the 15% is the wrong product. This is what I use on my roofs. Any help would be great. One more thing, we don't always scrub the entire house. Usually its a downstream and a rinse only. Our mix in the bucket is 60% sh, 40% cherry..thanks, bob

Guy Blackmon

Bob the house was already oxidized, you didn't do it. A regular "House Wash Mix" will not remove oxidation, only hand scrubbing every square inch with a diluted caustic cleaner will work....and something we avoid if possible.

Nichole Anglin

UAMCC Staff
+1 to what Guy said. This is something that you can typically "see" before you start. Simply running your hand along the siding can let you know if it is going to be a problem. Will be chalky from the start. This is also one of the reasons I think it is good to view a property before quoting or accepting the job.

Two things that cause it: Strong wash mix and sun light. I do not believe that a strong wash mix would show the damage that quick...but I might be wrong. It typically just weakens the finish and is a problem for the next person who washes the house.

Three things to do if it is chalky:
-Walk away - Let them know why...and suggest they replace it.
-Apply a wax with your house wash mix. Temporary fix though...like waxing the hood of a car from the junk yard in the commercials...it is not going to last long. Several of our associate members carry wax. http://www.uamcc.org/contractor-directory/UAMCC-Vendor-Members
-Apply a clear coat. There are products out there that will renew the finish. Vivilon is one...check if some of our Associate Members carry something also if you are interested.

Josh Davis

Bob the house was already oxidized, you didn't do it. A regular "House Wash Mix" will not remove oxidation, only hand scrubbing every square inch with a diluted caustic cleaner will work....and something we avoid if possible.

What kind of mix, and how diluted? I run into oxidation a lot. I have DSed F13 with a Simple Cherry mix and scrubbed, and that seemed to work pretty well. I'll do them for the right price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Guy Blackmon

F-13 would be my choice also, but ds'ing it may not be strong enough. We'll do it for the right price also, but evidently no one likes our right price. :)

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
+1 Guy!

It's usually just not worth it!!!! Tell them it will be oxidized and that is what happens with age. Even if you do remove it, it's still oxidizing and will return shortly. You can wax the house, scrub it all off and feel good that you just did charity work or charge 2k$ for a rancher.
The streaks are where water is coming out of the weep holes and either leaving a dirt mark from behind the siding (they lay it in the mud all the time before it goes up) or a non-oxidized mark from all the weeping cleaning it off.

Your house wash mix is way to strong though 30-1 will clean a house just fine. 50-1 will clean it kinda slow, but you'll never kill a plant.

Josh Davis

+1 Guy!

It's usually just not worth it!!!! Tell them it will be oxidized and that is what happens with age. Even if you do remove it, it's still oxidizing and will return shortly. You can wax the house, scrub it all off and feel good that you just did charity work or charge 2k$ for a rancher.
The streaks are where water is coming out of the weep holes and either leaving a dirt mark from behind the siding (they lay it in the mud all the time before it goes up) or a non-oxidized mark from all the weeping cleaning it off.

Your house wash mix is way to strong though 30-1 will clean a house just fine. 50-1 will clean it kinda slow, but you'll never kill a plant.

2K for a rancher? I brushed a ranch house with oxidation one time to get the streaks off from a previous pressure washer. Only took me about 3 hours. Yeah, it's extra work, but I'd say $2000 is a little extreme.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
Yea it is. I was exaggeration for sure. Truth is it's outside our scope to brush a house, we would turn it down if they needed brushing.