• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Drought in South Carolina

Carlos Gonzales

Spreading the word about drought situations.

This is in South Carolina and it is having a direct impact on some of the washers down there.

CLEMSON, S.C. -- As cities throughout the Upstate consider how to handle the severe drought, one city has decided to limit water use by its residents.

The Clemson City Council voted Monday night to impose mandatory restrictions on water use in the city.

Pickens County is one of five Upstate counties that was declared last week to be in extreme drought, the most severe category.

The water restrictions will be in effect by the end of the week after the restrictions are printed in the newspaper.

Under the restrictions, the following activities are prohibited:

Washing of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots or other hard surface areas
Washing down buildings or structures for reasons other than fire protection
Washing motorized vehicles, boats, trailers or other vehicles at a private residence

Lawns and plants can be watered, but only between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. on days that correspond to the home's address.

Clemson City Administrator Rick Cotton said, "The new restrictions will call for us to go to an odd-even watering system based on address of your house. If you have an odd numbered address, you'll go on an odd calendar day."

Some residents said they support the decision.

"I would go for it. We haven’t had much rain. But I would go for it so everything could have enough water,” homeowner Patty Baker said.

The restrictions will remain in effect until the drought status improves.

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I don't understand why power washers always get hit when these restrictions go in place. Car washes can operate if they recycle but drive by a car wash and look at how much water blows out of the bay while people wash their cars.

I washed a house yesterday and started with a full 300 gallon tank. When I was done I had used around 160 to 170 gallons and I rinse very well. This house was probably around 2,000 sf. They are allowing lawn watering in SC. Watering a lawn for 30 minutes would use as much water as I used to wash this house and you can do that every other day!

I just don't understand what goes through these peoples minds when deciding what can and cannot be done in a drought situation.

Roger Gothorp

It is simply a lack of education and pure misunderstanding of what our industry provides. When the powers that be are properly informed (and not from dozens of individual whiny businesses) with well composed, factual documentation, you would be surprised at how tunes change to allow washing under the proper circumstances. We pulled it off in NC last year and are into the trenches in SC this year. So much of it is "in the presentation". It also helps to get other affected industries involved as well.

Celeste

Terry Miller

Doug,
We (UAMCC) as well as all other organizations must approach this situation. Carefully and with intelligence. Celeste is doing the right thing. Meeting with government, etc., educating the public and making sense of continuing work. This all adds up. Just as we have a serious problem with fuel, you will see some serious changes coming soon. Even our government leaders will tire of paying $4.00 for gas.

Carlos Gonzales

I pray that some of these storms that are forming or have formed out in the Atlantic bring alot of much needed rain in the region that have been hit pretty good with drought issues.

Stay positive!!