• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

New regulations for portable fuel containers

Carlos Gonzales

Whatever your New Year’s resolutions were, it’s doubtful the list included buying a new gas can, but maybe it should. As of January 1, 2009, all portable fuel containers sold in the United States are required to conform to two new regulations:

1. They must meet new federal Mobile Source Air Toxic regulations, based on California’s CARB regulations that have been in place there and in some other states for a number of years; and

2. They must meet the requirements of the Children’s Gasoline Burn Prevention Act (Public Law 110-278, 122 Stat. 2602- 2603), signed into law by President Bush last year, by including childproof features.

TF200901_5.jpg
Photo Courtesy of No-Spill.

As of January 1, 2009, all portable fuel containers (such as this model by No-Spill) manufactured nationwide will need to meet new federal regulations regarding emissions and child safety.

These new regulations do not apply to OSHA-approved metal safety containers (required on construction sites; check with your OSHA representative), but rather to the common red plastic, portable gas cans. The regulations apply only to newly manufactured gas cans, and there is no requirement on the part of users to discard their existing cans or to upgrade.

Scott Stone

I gave up the red plastic cans 2 years ago, after I had a fire when refilling one of my machines. The worst damage was to my truck, but I knew it was scary when I looked over at my son, and he was hiding under a truck to stay away from the flames. There were a lot of things that contributed to teh fire, but many can be alleviated by OSHA cans.