PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Roof Moss removal

Isaac Baghdanov
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Ok new one for me. I will be bidding on a cedar roof for moss removal. I have only done on once in '95 for a summer job. My boss put some spiked shoes on, lugged a couple of jugs of clorox, poured it on, then blasted it:rolleyes:

So I do moss removal on asphalt, but never on cedar. What is the proper method? Similar to asphalt?

Ken Fenner
01-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Isaac, are you resealing or just cleaning?

Isaac Baghdanov
01-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Just cleaning, I have to be licensed to reseal......

James Foley
01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Bleach is a waste on moss because it can't get to the roots. Your better off with a 8 to 10 gallon a minute machine and push it off with water.

Ken Fenner
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
You have two options. Here's abrief synapsis with good and bad.

1. Use sodium hypochlorite in the 3%-4% range hitting the roof. You can mix 12% 1.5:1 with water and X-jet on.

Benefits:
• Will kill algae faster and more throughly with less dwell time.

Disadvantage:
• Can possibly make the roof look "bleached out". Not a problem if you were following with a tinted sealer.
• You have to control your runoff especially around landscaping. You should have a ground guy keeping things wet.

2. Use sodium percarbonate. 8-10oz per gallon dissolved in water.

Benefits:
• More environmentally friendly. Can sell as "green" cleaning as runoff is less likely to kill plants. Some even clain the oxgenation is beneficial to ground soil.
• Will leave wood looking more like its natural new cedar look.

Disadvantage:
• More dwell time. Multiple application on heavy growth may be neccessary.
• May involve more up close and personal rinsing.

Notes:
1. You shouldn't have to use more than 800 psi on cedar.
2. Don't walk a cedar shake roof. Factor in the cost of a lift.
3. Talk to Jim (Everglaze). He is cedar master.

Florin Nutu
01-31-2009, 12:42 AM
You WILL need those shoes if you plan on walking it. Trust me. My first cedar shingle roof I sprayed chem on and took ONE step and I was slidding down the roof like a kids slip and slide. I was clawing at whatever I could grab but that did not help. I flew off the roof edge like one of those high jump skier olympic guys. I did not have my harness on cause the roof was such a low pitch. Go to a roof supply and buy the korker shoes. Best $80 I have ever spent. AND TIE DOWN NO MATTER WHAT PITCH.

Ryan Freidline
01-31-2009, 02:51 AM
How old is the roof ? What is the condition of the shakes? Are they spongey,split, turning fiberous? I would take a close look, make sure its not a replacement job first. Also have you ever replaced shakes? Are youprepared to replace shakes and does the customer know that if you do there will be a major color difference?
I dunno....I can't find anyone here in Northern Va to pay what its worth to clean a shake roof. ($3000-5000)

James Foley
01-31-2009, 06:22 AM
Do a test spot first and see if the wood is spongy under the moss. If it is it needs replacement. The age of the roof is a factor. I've done a few Barns that needed replacement that had moss issues.

Isaac Baghdanov
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
OK looked at the roof yesterday. Wood is in good condition, 10 years old. Only one side has moss growth. It is steep, 10/12 pitch, mossy side is 1 story, roof line starting at 6'. I have a delevan, and would love to try some precarb on it. Most of my competition uses high pressure and no chems to clean here.

I cannot replace shingles.

Florin Nutu
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
OK looked at the roof yesterday. Wood is in good condition, 10 years old. Only one side has moss growth. It is steep, 10/12 pitch, mossy side is 1 story, roof line starting at 6'. I have a delevan, and would love to try some precarb on it. Most of my competition uses high pressure and no chems to clean here.

I cannot replace shingles.

Let us know how it goes. I have passed on plenty of them that I could not walk. The ones I have done I use what Ken posted method.

Bob Gomez
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Isaac;
Bleach is no good for cedar either way. It punks the wood fiber leaving it flat and un-absorbant. Oxallic acid is a good place to start.