• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

cleaning metal building roof and exterior walls?

Jim Durda

What would be the best mix for doing a metal building roof and exterior walls?Do I use a house wash and rinse really well?Do I need to apply a wax? the building is at the local fairgrounds and is 70x80
thx for any help

Richard Velazquez

Contributing Member
Hey Jim,

For metal buildings & roofs, I clean using my regular house wash mix. If the metal building or roof is really dirty then I will downstream a 50/50 mix. Then rinse it all down.

I have never personally messed with any waxes so can't give you any info about that.

One thing I do if the metal is very hot is presoak it with water to cool it down so my soap mix does not turn to steam as soon as applied.

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Hi Jim, we clean them in small sections at a time, no soap, and rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. We will use a 20% mix for direct application, or downstream if it's not really bad. When the weather is really hot outside we do them first thing in the morning, or we will even wait until the weather has cooled off. You just don't want your mix drying on the roof. Pre soaking the roof to cool it down like Richard says can also work, but the main thing is keep the roof wet. This is why we work small sections at a time versus applying to large areas like a shingle or tile roof.

I've never applied a wax to a roof. But I can;t stress enough to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. Not using soap, or using very little soap, helps the rinsing go faster.