• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Jomax®

Damaris Sutton

I was doing some study on the net as well as getting the Day set up while it is quiet around here.

I found:
JOMAX® Roof Cleaner and Mildew Stain Remover

And

JOMAX® House Cleaner and Mildew Killer

What kind of reviews can ya'll give on these.

I used the House Cleaner a long time ago when I was only painting, but only with Clorox and no Dawn to make it cling. It did o.k., but under my feeble attempts as would a homeowner not knowing the truth about house washing.

Scott Davis

We cleaned this roof 2 days ago. The homeowner told us he used Jomax w/ bleach on the front of it a couple of months ago. When it didnt clean it, he went to the store and asked why? They told him to wait a couple of months and it would come clean w/ the rain. 3 months later, he paid us $1000 to clean his roof.

I have never used Jomax, but theres a small review of it.

If you used a regular roof mix, and just ADDED some Jomax, I am not sure what the benefit would be....?

Attachments

• IMG00123-20090415-1037.jpg
    IMG00123-20090415-1037.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG00135-20090415-1705.jpg
    IMG00135-20090415-1705.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 49

John Paul

From what I understand, it is basically a $20 bottle of vinegar. I used it to wash a house when I first started, before I found boards such as this one.

I can tell you right now, it doesn't hold a candle to SH/Simple Cherry. I would guess the roof version is just as weak.

Ken Fenner

What's the deal with painters? :got-hooligan:

hahaha, present company not included. Actually my train of thought was that it is the stuff that MAB Paints pushes onto painting contractors. I saw a painting team last year with three ladders, buckets, scrub brushes and jugs of Jomax. All they were doing was smearing the dirt and mold around.

topcoat

Contributing Member
I did a residential wash last year of a badly mildewed cedar clapboard home for a retired Rutgers chemist. We were using up the last of our stock of Jomax jugs, and bleach and neutralizers. He was interested in the chemical side of the process, for obvious reasons. He copied the contents from the Jomax label and returned a half hour later to report that all we had there was a pricy jug of water. The contents were something like less than 1% some flavor of bleach, and about 99% "inert" ingredients. He informed me that the most common liquid form inert ingredient would be water. So, there we were mixing these jugs of water, with more bleach and water, applying it and rinsing with the pressure washer. It did work though. Ultimately, now, I would agree...its kind of a homeowner grade product. And also would be great for painters with buckets and scrub brushes.

deach

hahaha, present company not included. Actually my train of thought was that it is the stuff that MAB Paints pushes onto painting contractors. I saw a painting team last year with three ladders, buckets, scrub brushes and jugs of Jomax. All they were doing was smearing the dirt and mold around.

I saw that last week. I bout rolled over laughing so hard. I've no idea what they were thinking it looked worse when they left then when they arrived... Honestly can't wait to see the paint applied.......:headshakesmile-fast

topcoat

Contributing Member
I have lost jobs to homeowners who were told by the "other" painters estimating the job that pressure washing is harmful. That particular breed of painter has very little equipment - can't afford a washer and therefore is very much against their use. Sometimes the customer wants to hear that, and certainly doesn't mind seeing the low price that usually goes along with it. And ultimately, they often can't see the difference between a proper result and a mess. They just see that some work got done. Those are not the customers we want. Its much better to work for intelligent, informed and picky customers who are willing to pay for a high level of product and service.

Damaris Sutton

I was just wanting to know everyones take on it. The interesting things, and we can use this to drive home a point is this. Jomax® which is made by Zinsser actually has on its mixing instructions to mix with bleach.

Point is this: Who on here can say they have been in business to the magnitude of the Zinsser corp?

Who on here has the advertising $ of this Corp?

If Zinsser is advocating the use of bleach mixed in roof cleaners as well as the roof manufacturers, then bleach can not be that harmful?

A good point to market from?

deach

I have lost jobs to homeowners who were told by the "other" painters estimating the job that pressure washing is harmful. That particular breed of painter has very little equipment - can't afford a washer and therefore is very much against their use. Sometimes the customer wants to hear that, and certainly doesn't mind seeing the low price that usually goes along with it. And ultimately, they often can't see the difference between a proper result and a mess. They just see that some work got done. Those are not the customers we want. Its much better to work for intelligent, informed and picky customers who are willing to pay for a high level of product and service.

I totally totally agree. Fortunately, most now know that's part of a proper paint prep. I'm actually getting calls where they're requesting a "power wash and paint". I love it. This of course usually leads to other cleaning. (driveways, walkways, etc etc) Often cleaning the metal soffit's and guttering saves the customer money if the clean up is good enough and we've done that often too.

topcoat

Contributing Member
I was just wanting to know everyones take on it. The interesting things, and we can use this to drive home a point is this. Jomax® which is made by Zinsser actually has on its mixing instructions to mix with bleach.

Point is this: Who on here can say they have been in business to the magnitude of the Zinsser corp?

Who on here has the advertising $ of this Corp?

If Zinsser is advocating the use of bleach mixed in roof cleaners as well as the roof manufacturers, then bleach can not be that harmful?

A good point to market from?

Jimmy

I like Zinnser and they do have some good products. I don't think they are a leader in this particular field. They did have the ability to put a product together that would serve a particular intended purpose, and it basically does what they say it will. I don't think its nearly as pro strength as what the suppliers here have to offer - Prosealerstore, pressuretek, sunbrite, etc.

The bleach debate will go on forever. Seems to be one of those deals where yes, responsible use of bleach with proper ph balancing can be very effective. Irresponsible use by hacks can be a bad scene. I think thats the marketing angle.

Damaris Sutton

Jimmy

I like Zinnser and they do have some good products. I don't think they are a leader in this particular field. They did have the ability to put a product together that would serve a particular intended purpose, and it basically does what they say it will. I don't think its nearly as pro strength as what the suppliers here have to offer - Prosealerstore, pressuretek, sunbrite, etc.

The bleach debate will go on forever. Seems to be one of those deals where yes, responsible use of bleach with proper ph balancing can be very effective. Irresponsible use by hacks can be a bad scene. I think thats the marketing angle.

Chlorine Certification(TM)
Some snazzy logo with class hours logged in on proper application and disposal along with what chems it is compatiable with?
Any of the higher ups in the UAMCC care to weigh in on this possibility?

Chlorine has had a bad name for too long. I have been on these boards for over a year now. All I hear is how much sh do you use. Where do you get your Sodium Hypchlorite from? Why not call it what it is in common terms used on a daily basis. SALT? I do not see people hesitating to put that junk into their body. I am sick of people worried about the use of Chlorine and then I walk out back where their pool is that is wreaking of chlorine while their kids and grandkids are taking a dip in the chlorine?

Maybe this could be our Chlorine(Tea Party) Party? It always begins with one before it becomes a revolution.

Last edited:

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
We have been adding 1 tsp of amine oxide based surfactant to a 5 gallon container of pure 15%SH and using the xjet. The small amount of surfactant is just enough to shine the windows and create cling without ever soaping it, keeping it easy to rinse.
Now sometimes we might do a metal home prep for paint and will will use a full strength solvent, such as caustic/ethanol+tsp. This will cause all that enamel to break down and remove all oxidation without high pressure or hot water or brushing.
Sometimes you will to prep wood or metal for paint and their are a lot of process to achieve this, but jomax does not fit any of these applications in our experience.

Chris Apple

I did a price break down awhile back on the approximate cost to pressure wash using jomax along with bleach. I know it wasn't economical. I'll see if I can find it.