• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Dog Attack

Randall Brooks

What would you do?
Was called to give an estimate and there was this huge German Shepard, not a mill puppy type but a full on 100+ lb Police trained type running the yard. (invisible fence) No one home so I did a drive by and called with "estimate" but stated because of the dog I needed to come back to do some test and measurements before "locking" in price. Customer says sounds good, put me on the schedule. Then called yesterday at 7.30 a m saying "come by at 4.30 pm and do the measurements and someone will be there and take care of the dog. Well I drive up and here comes a man out of the garage with the dog. I asked "does he bite?" and was told "no, your OK" so I get out. The dog walks around my truck then doubles back and charges. Yep full on attack... no "false charge" or "defensive act",,,full on, right off an episode of "cops" charge. He lunged and got my forearm in a crush hold and pulled me down back wards. I tried to roll up but he was on me and we were in a slap fight trying to keep him from biting my groin and stomach. Just as I figured "boys" this is it...the guy jumped on him and stopped him but long story short I end up in the ER thinking my arm was broken, and had deep bites to the bone in my forearm. They had to open the wounds up and stick gauze down to the bone to clean it out then irrigate it...To make it even worse the man said right after I got up from the dog, covered in blood, he "tried" to call me to let me know they had changed their mind about the deck. LOL,,,So now I don't even get the job...I told him I didn't intend to make a federal case out of it but he was going to pay the doctor bills without question which he agreed. I'm going to throw in about 250.00 for the two hrs spend in the ER...Animal Control is involved due to the hospital called when I was there and they took a report then went and quarantined the dog as they are required to.

What would you do? I'm kind of perplexed because I'm not one to sue anyone but this was very close to being very bad,,I was lucky but the next guy might not be. I'm home for at least a few days and can't move my arm though the percacets are helping...LOL :yes: But I feel like some trailer trash trying to "get something for nothing" for even thinking of pursuing them for the attack like my wife says too but this was very serious. I have found out this dog is school attack trained and not the first German Shepard these HO's have had which they got after being robbed. Should I "teach" them a lesson or let it be? :got-hooligan:

Trey Posey

I would go back and either shoot the dog or feed him some anti freeze. That's messed up I seriously would try and have the dog put down. I am sure I will catch flack, but thats not right

Mathew Johnson

You are going to lose work and may have a lot of medical problems down the road from those bites that could effect you financially in a serious way.

I am not the sueing type, but given what happened and the fact that the guy told you it was OK, to be honest, I would call a lawyer.

It would be different if you just went barging into his back yard with no one home.

Good Luck!

Matt

I agree lawyer up. I wouldn't be surprised if they have sought council already.

It's may be just my suspicious mind,but it almost sounds like you were a test run for killer.The owner knew he had an attack dog and allowed it to roam free around a total stranger.
Matt is a nurse I can bet he has seen the long term effects of dog bites.Document everything and don't be surprised if the owner backs out on paying any of your medical bills.I'll bet money his story will change in less than a week and he'll be saying you were at fault.

Jeff LeCours

Hey man hope you have a speedy recovery. I would be on the phone NOW to a lawyer and sue the heck out of that idiot. Thats just wrong to let that dog roam around, that guy has no control of a potential killer. Wrong, wrong wrong

I'd be suing him in a heart beat and wouldnt feel bad at all. I would be raising hell about the dog too

Good luck. hope you get the guy for 100K or more and his dog should be given up to the cops, shouldnt be with this idiot

Henry Bockman

Sorry but with the world the way it is today suing anything that stands still long enough, I'd have to contact a lawyer. Your going to lose work and suffer some pain. Share that pain with the foolish home owner and use the money for a recooperating cruise to the Bahamas or something.

Jfife

MudDuck,

I may be mistaken, but I believe dog attacks can be covered under the HO's homeowner policy. Def record the phone log times. I hope you got the "handlers" name in case you need to get him under oath.

I'm with you---I'm not he sueing type---and I'm generally going to fall down on the side of the animal 95% of the time---but this is an extreme situation. These HO's need to feel some pain for being this numbskulled. So I'd unload with both barrels---enough to the point that you get $$ to cover damages, future pain, being out of work, and hassle. Only you and your lawyer can decide what that amount should be.

So pick up the phonebook and find someone that has "stein" or "berg" at the end of their name, and go bring the pain.

Ken Fenner

You could end up with issues in that arm years down the line that could terminate your ability to earn revenue. Go for at least a hundred if not closer to $250K.

Damaris Sutton

My Cousin got a job at a oil delivery company back in the 1970s. He went on this one delivery and they did have a Shepherd. The thing was big and mean and when my cousin went in the yard he lunged at my cuz to attack him. My cuz then turned the oil loose on the dog. He chased him all over the yard spraying the dog down with the oil and about had him covered in oil totally. He left the bill for the oil that was used on the dog. The guy called the office to ask what happened and my cuz went back out there to let him know the dog about got him in the throat. The man apologized and there was nothing else to it.

Try protecting yourself from a animal today and you get the ax.

Randall Brooks

The HO's have one of those "invisible" fences and the Animal Control Officer said he didn't believe that qualified for a dog of that type. He called me at the ER and said he was on his way over to the address to look and quarantine the dog. If they didn't have a fence he would have to take it back to the pound for 10 days. I was in the back yard as I drove up the drive way which goe's around to the back yard to the garage. I'll tell ya I didn't think it would be that big of a deal just some punctures that would heal like a small cut but my arm is practically immobile. I can't even hardly move my fingers and the bite is mid forearm. I'm sure they have HO insurance, I did ask him about it and he said yes,,,they live on "Country Club Rd" in the high rent district of town.
They did call yesterday and apologized again and gave me an address to send the bills too (her fathers an OBGYN, his office but she works there), I'm guessing since he's a Doc he can "negotiate" with the hospital. But yea I'm waiting on them to figure out some way to blame me. I told my wife if that happens I'm going to nail them, but hate too if they just take responsibility. I"m going to call Animal Control today as he is doing an investigation as required and find out if the dog or any other dog of theirs has ever bitten anyone before and get the dogs med records.
The only thing I'm thinking is I just came from a house wash right up the road 3 min away and had bleach all over me and maybe the dog couldn't figure out what I was when he circled me and freaked. So everyone thinks I should sue'em huh.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
THIS is why lawyers were invented! These people had to know their dog was capable of attacking. My guess is that you are not the first. This dog needs to be put down before it can do this to someone else and it's owner must be held responsible. Period.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
The only thing I'm thinking is I just came from a house wash right up the road 3 min away and had bleach all over me and maybe the dog couldn't figure out what I was when he circled me and freaked. So everyone thinks I should sue'em huh.

If you had just come from washing a sausage factory, maybe.

Ken Fenner

Mud, I am a close friend with my attorney whose office handles claims like this, car accidents etc. He has told me countless stories of people with a "conscious" that didn't want to sue for pain and suffering.. just wanted their bills paid. The problem is, is that that (yes that's grammatically correct) course of action, while noble, does not cover future medical bills. Dollars to donuts you have nerve damage. Not to mention in a day or too the psychological trauma is going to kick in. You have no way to predict how that will affect you. A close friend was in one of the towers during 911. He is a tough dude. He grabbed a kid and when the towers came down he huddled in a corner protecting the child from debris. He is a shadow of the man he used to be.. nightmares, PTSD, sporadic work, divorce. A total nightmare. What you went through is no joke. Contact a lawyer immediately and do not talk to these people at all (that's the first thing the lawyer is going to tell you). This is an outright case of negligence.

What will you do if your arm is never right? You may go through a year of surgeries and not be able to ever wash again. Your entire future could have been changed yesterday. I will shoot up a prayer for you hoping that is not the case. Do the smart thing.. contact counsel.

Randall Brooks

This dog is probably a 2500.00 dog not one of the 200.00 puppy mill dogs most people get. It's a big male, long haired black and tan ones. If I were to start wanting the thing put down then I'm sure their story an attitude would change and there would be a fight. There not going to put the dog down nor can I make them or even want them too. It's not their fault in my mind but they ARE responsible, thats the delima in my mind as to sue or not. But I guess I should do some research and call an Attorney and see what the normal "settlements" are for this kind of thing. Like one said might be a "recoopment cruise" on the horizon. LOL Or a new truck to go under the new skid I'm gonna win from Pete in Myrtle Beach in Sept.

Randall Brooks

Nerve or tendon damage is what I was afraid of because before I left the scene my wrist was hurting and I couldn't move it much. Fingers too. The bite mid forearm is just puncher wounds (no stitches) because I didn't jerk back I knew I was had and if I did would rip the wound...I was just trying to stay on my feet and keep him occupied with the arm until the HO got to him but I fell back wards and thats when it got serious. Most of the damage now is from the Doc shoving needles and a hemo wrapped in gauze down into them digging around,,,,But I can tell ya this morning the pain is pretty bad and very "deep" in the arm, I had no idea it would be like this. You can't see much bruising due to my tan but it is swollen somewhat.
It's 10 am do you know where your percacete is? :yes: :biggrin: Hey Matt does this stuff come in six packs?

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Don't forget to get pics NOW before it heals. Just incase the lawyer needs them. Document document and then document everything including meds and when they are taken. The more info you have the better.

Randall Brooks

Just got off the ph with Animal Control who wanted to know if I wished to pursue "dangerous or vicious" dog something or other. If I did it would mean the HO by law has to build an enclosure with at least 6ft fence, that would have to be "pre approved" by written plans submitted to the county building inspector and that was "inspected" twice by LEO and building codes, during and after completion. The animal has to be spade or neutered AND micro chipped and could NEVER come out of that enclosure again other than to the vet. Animal Control would also do random inspections throughout the year, EVERY year. They would even have to go in there to even play with the dog. I'm guessing pretty much about the same as you would have to have if you had a tiger! There Home owners insurance might even cancel them....OR get rid of their dog...WOW....