• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Maxi Tile

Scott Davis

This was a topic I wrote about last May on another boardand came across it again, and wanted to share it here.

The tile roof below was one we just competed in Lake Charles LA. When we bid the job, we bid it as a regular tile roof. So we drive to Lake charles, and when we get there the tiles were only about 1/16" thick and in sheets of 4 barrels. Kinda funny looking.

So we get everything set up, and start spraying the roof. Well about 3 seconds after spraying the roof, it is completely dry again and the algae is still there. So we spray it again, same result, just the algae is a little lighter. As soon as the chemicals touched the surface, it soaked it up like a sponge, but had no effect of the algae.

After about 7 or 8 coats the roof looked pretty good. We ended up using 100gl of mix on just the 4 car garage, and it didnt even look that great. Keep in mind it was about 10,000 sqft of roof space, and we used 100gl on just the garage.

At this point, we are 6 hours into the day and getting pretty nervous, so I asked the homeowner for the maker of the tile. They were made by MAXI-TILE out of Cali. And they are a organic fiber - cement tile with no sealant.

So I called Chris and spoke to him about it, and we agreed that if we upped our soap, it would stick better, and clean faster. No luck. It actually seemed to soak it up faster!
confused.gif
. So I spoke to the home owner and told him that I was going to spray the whole roof, and let it dwell for a couple of months, and let the rain wash it away naturally. Luckily he agreed to pay me the $2k upfront and trusted me to hold up my end.

Well during that job we landed another $1k roof cleaning in the area, we so went back this weekend and stopped back to give it another try, and touch up a few spots.But this time we used simple cherry in our mix, and it seemed to clean it a llittle better.

Ironically enough on the way back home from the cleaning the first time, we got a call from a customer from here in Houston, who also had the maxitile, and were very impressed that we new what they were and how to clean them, as everyone else just assumed they were regular tiles. we landed that job to0 for $1200.

This is a lesson for newbies and some pros, from a semi-newbie, on how important doing research on things you are not sure about, before over promisng customers.

If you ever come across the Maxi-tiles, be sure to ask how old they are. I believe it was 6 years or older, there were no sealants on them, therefore extremely hard to clean. These were 12 years old, and very very brittle. (one tile had been broken by a stray tennis ball.
eek.gif
), So they couldnt be walked on for any reason. If anyone has any questions about the maxi tiles give me a call. 713 817 6117.

Attachments

• Lake charles roof cleaning lake charles roof cleaning.jpg
    Lake charles roof cleaning lake charles roof cleaning.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Roof cleaning lake charles.jpg
    Roof cleaning lake charles.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Tile roof cleaning.jpg
    Tile roof cleaning.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Lake charles roof cleaning.jpg
    Lake charles roof cleaning.jpg