• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

A Deck that I did ~ I don't know ~ You tell me!!

Carlos Gonzales

A past customer of mine called and ask if I could "try" to whip his deck into shape. I told him that I would do my best as I never did wood restoration on a serious level. Being that he has been a customer of mine for about 6 years...his words to me was, "Carlos we trust you!".

The deck had 2 type of stains on it and paint. It was aged big time with algae. Overall it was in bad shape. All I had was wood cleaning chems (RAD) and I wasn't even sure that the cleaning chems would even "chew" into the stain. It was kinda cool to all the dirt, stain and crap just melt away.

Thanks to Ken F. for his suggestions yesterday and overall...well...I don't know...is this how the decks are suppose to look?

Attachments

• NewLookWoodDeck_Before.jpg
    NewLookWoodDeck_Before.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 91
  • NLPW_Wood_Deck_Before.jpg
    NLPW_Wood_Deck_Before.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 90
  • NewLookWoodDeck_After.jpg
    NewLookWoodDeck_After.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 99
  • NLPW_Wood_Deck_After.jpg
    NLPW_Wood_Deck_After.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 105

Ken Fenner

If that deck is considered "bad shape" I want to move to CA. You did a good job on it, Carlos. There are a couple of spots I noticed that you may have missed, but the deck should dry looking good and ready to seal.

James Foley

Carlos is that Redwood? Redwood cleans up nice for a very long time. Those boards look to close together. Bad drainage leads to decay between the boards. Regular cleaning(once a year would help that issue). Important to take better pictures for customers to view. Focus better and when not to wet. Porches tend to be more difficult to combat than other cleanings because of how they wear. Good job!

Carlos Gonzales

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the kudos.

David - nope...not going to stain it.

Jim - drainage is/was a problem. I had to broom off the water that gathered and just sat on the deck. And yes, that is redwood.

Ken - appreciate the advice and suggestions.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
Looks pretty good Carlos. Covered porches tend to clean better as the wood doesn't weather as much. In all my years of washing residential, other than the occasional Ipe deck, I never see anything other than pressure treated (I don't count composite "wood" as decks) though I do recall seeing some redwood in Muir Woods a few years ago and occasionally on TV.

LeoMoreira

A past customer of mine called and ask if I could "try" to whip his deck into shape. I told him that I would do my best as I never did wood restoration on a serious level. Being that he has been a customer of mine for about 6 years...his words to me was, "Carlos we trust you!".

The deck had 2 type of stains on it and paint. It was aged big time with algae. Overall it was in bad shape. All I had was wood cleaning chems (RAD) and I wasn't even sure that the cleaning chems would even "chew" into the stain. It was kinda cool to all the dirt, stain and crap just melt away.

Thanks to Ken F. for his suggestions yesterday and overall...well...I don't know...is this how the decks are suppose to look?

Looks great Carlos. I don't think you can get better then this.