• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

downstreaming calculation....

mbpowerwashing

Hi all,
So I want to add downstreaming injector in my battery of tools so Im not only relying on my M5 X-JET.

Couple of questions; I was looking at the " Adams Adjustable Acid Injector 2.1mm QC Kit (Plug Inlet and Socket Outlet) 3-5 GPM" item that sunbite has to offer. Figured I'd get the acid option if I ever need to apply an acid application (probably) -

So I ask; how would I calculate how much is being applied out of the gun? is it in percentages? So if I make a solution and draw from it and set the injector to 20%, would I be correct to say if the draw solution is a final 8% then draw up at 20% would give me a 1.5% of bleach coming out of my wand.

Am I calculating this correctly?

Also, if I want to use ratio's instead of percentages can I do this with this unit?

Thanks again.

David Vicars

Mark, your calculation is correct ( 1.6 actually, before the math wizards jump on me ) LOL.
As far as ratios go your draw is 4 to 1, 4 parts water to 1 part cleaner.

You would want to do a test on the injector to get your actual draw rate.
Get a bucket with a measured amount of fluid in it, drop your injector line in the bucket and DS into another bucket until your chem bucket is empty. Measure the amount and divide by the amount in the chem bucket. That's your draw.

mbpowerwashing

thanks david -- I will give that a try.

How did you figure off the bat if I had 4 to 1 ratio?

One more thing... can i use the black tip on my wand to activate the injector ?.. i read alot of double wand stuff but want to make sure that my chemical black tip will suffice.

Mark

David Vicars

If your pulling 20%, 1/5 of your solution is cleaner. 4 parts water, 1 part cleaner.
Your black tip will work, but you'll need other tips for applying at various heights.
Give me a call sometime. It's easier to explain than typing it all out.

Ken Fenner

I've attached the .xls file that Henry speaks about above directly to this thread for direct download.

Attachments

• PowerHOUSECalculator.xls
    19 KB · Views: 42

Ken Fenner

No problem, Henry. I actually had to go into the back end and make a new allowance for that type of file so even if you had tried, you would have gotten an error message.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
In my personal experience, calculating your downstream ratios is more of an art than a science. Over the years, I have washed almost exclusively residential (almost 9 years full-time) and I will vary the strength of my mix depending on what I am washing, how dirty it is and what is being removed (dirt, mold, mildew). I will also vary the temp of the water I use depending on the same parameters, though usually never more than 120* on siding. Almost as important is the tip that you use. Again, it depends on how high and what type of surface you are cleaning. The chems you use will also affect ratios.

P.S. Acid injectors are best. The big difference is that the ball inside is ceramic rather than steel, so it won't corrode. It works for both acids and alkaline solutions. The key to downstreamer longevity is to flush it after each use. (Stick the hose in clean water for a minute or two after applying cleaner.)

plainpainter

Guy thanks!

Is there any way to figure out my ratio without doing the bucket test?...
My system, 4GPM 3800PSI

Nope - and if you put a different gun on, or add 50 feet of hose - or a different tip - all will make a different draw rate.

I got all technical about it - but one technique is totally forget worrying about - mix your bleach, see if it works - if it does great, if it doesnt make it stronger.

A priori coming up with a 'theoretical' cleaning formula that you think is needed to clean mildew, and then backwords engineering how strong your mix should be - is perhaps backwords.

William the Fireman talks about keeping it simple - follow a recipe from Bob Williamson - try it out - and then forget about it.