• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Injection Wounds

Greg Nash

I've had eye burns like that from welding gases. It is very very painful I wouldn't recommend it. I also had a employee shoot himself in the face with a zero degree at about 300 psi. dont ask me how I don't have a clue. got lucky on that one didn't hurt himself just scared the xxxx out of him.

Gary Schell

Safety glasses are a definite must have. I keep an eyewash bottle in my lunch box.

I got a cut one time on the index finger from a small pressure washer that had an adjustable nozzle, thought at first it was from the metal fins, but wasn't.

Isaac Baghdanov

Please have Safety Procedures in place before hiring employees! I have a safety officer on site, to ensure proper safety. Better yet the safety officer is a trained medic, in case anything should happen. See off duty firemen are a GOOD thing!

Mathew Johnson

Matt

Do most problems come from pressure or chem or a combination of the two? And do many pros wear respirators to try to reduce long term exposure to chemical vapors?

This may be a ridiculous question, but would it be helpful to have a section here on the board that covers precautionary measures and safety?

Scott, I spoke extensively with the Medical Director from NYCAM - NY Center of Agricultural medicine and did research for my "Surviving a Pressure Washing Injury" presentation. They deal a lot with health problems related to long term exposure.. regarding industrial and other exposures in farming and such. I did not wear a respirator routinely until I educated myself to the long term exposure to small doses of the stuff we use... bleach, oxalic, hydroflouric and the list goes on and on. The long term exposure is harmful and can trigger many disease states.

There is a link between long term exposure of some agents and leukemia

With that being said, an uncontrollable reaction that occurs when most have when severly burned in the eyes or face is to take a deep breath, kind of what you would do right before you hit a tree with your car.

You end up with a secondary burn to the mouth and lungs as you inhale. Burns to the eyes wont kill you, burns to the lungs will. We often minimize (at least I use to) the risk with the famous last words "It wont happen to me" A respirator is a barrier to lung damage.

That is the answer to the chemical side of your question.

Now onto the Pressure. The pressure injection of plain water does damage to the nerves and muscles. It is an accelerated carrier of the chemicals that are in the water. But, as this does damage, it is what the water takes into the tissue that does the majority of the damage. The harmless bacteria (anaerobic and aerobic) that sits on the skin causes serious problems when injected deep into the tissue, even more problems when the pressure disrupts blood vessels in deep tissue. It also carries any concentrated detergents and chems that are on your clothing into the tissue as well. This can and has caused life ending infections. People with the most serious infections of certain types that this can cause who survive, often end up with a 100,000 to 200,000 hospital bill, Even with major medical coverage of 80 percent, I have taken care of people in the ICU who still end up with a balance due of 30 to 40K.

I have seen a lot of unbelievable injuries that can happen on our profession in my years as a Paramedic and ICU Nurse. Most were preventable with an investment of 50-75 dollars on personal protective equipment.

I do think that there would be benefit to the industry to have a safety section.

Sorry for the long response,

Matt

Scott Davis

I disagree, your question that I quoted before deletion may save lives and minimize contractor injuries. It is very relevant to the industry and this thread

No no I posted something not relevant to the thread responding to a SA comment, and I edited it, and deleted it, and would like them to delete my post. I decided to go the PM route instead of public forum.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mathew Johnson

No no I posted something not relevant to the thread responding to a SA comment, and I edited it, and deleted it, and would like them to delete my post. I decided to go the PM route instead of public forum.

Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I thought you deleted the question you asked me.

Scott Davis

We have respirators for everyone who will be exposed to chemicals, but like most, do not use them as often as we should. We get them from Northern and they run about 30 bucks I think. They are used more often suring the hot months, because the hot roofs create more toxic gases.

We also keep safety glasses on hand and full face shields for windy days. That chlorine mist will still make its way behind basic glasses and shields so scientific goggles are good to have too, and we do use them because they're great for keeping chlorine fumes out of the eyes.

Mathew Johnson

There is a whole line of different cartridges for the respirators. The specific cartridges work for different chems, solvents and fumes. Most respirator manufactures will provide a reference of some sort for the cartridges available for the unit. The package on the cartridges will also note what they are designed to be used for.