• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Injection Wounds

Mathew Johnson

Scott, I did a lot of research on these for my first aid presentation for contractors. They are serious injuries and can result in a life ending infection. I have a picture of one, but it is a bit gross to post on the BBS. My first year in business, my helper almost took off his finger with a red tip (hence, one of the reasons they are no longer on the vehicles). Cleaner Times had an excellent article about 5 year ago. Give me a call when you get a minute and I will share what I know.

Matt

Mathew Johnson

Hey Gary,

I will try to get together a summary of the important points of my presentation and power washing injuries and get it out there for all to benefit from.

I am a bit buried in seminar task and spring marketing plan for my business right now so it will be a bit until I can get it done.

Russ Spence

I had one at the first of the year, hose end popped and hot water injected into my thumb, it was blown up like a balloon and it burned and hurt like crazy, I squeezed as much of the water out of the injection site as I could and then I did what any responsible contractor would do, I took out my cell phone on the spot .... called Bob at Pressure Tek and ordered some hose and other stuff, then went back to work.:yes:

True Story! Bob had a similar story but had to go to the hospital, his was in his calf

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
A few years ago, I had a customer relate her experience. While washing her driveway with a homeowner-style pressure washer (and using the red tip) in bare feet (!), she accidentally sprayed her foot. It took over a year to heal and she almost lost her foot. Injection wounds must be taken seriously.

Mathew Johnson

Excellent advise! As I recall, they are good for about 10 years.

A few years ago, we had a someone in our hospital with tetanus, "AKA lockjaw". I remember his hospital bill was over 50K.

I Spoke with the Department of Emergency Services this morning at the local trauma center. Here is the deal.

Routine coverage for is good for 10 years

If someone has a dirty wound, they will update them if it has been 5 years or more since their last shot

They also suggested that I let everyone know that a tetanus infection / lockjaw death is a horrible way to die.

James Foley

Keep water available to rinse your eyes out. All close calls I've had have been related to my eyes ( chem burns). I try to fill up a small bucket of water and keep it next to my trailer. The most important thing is to rinse with copious amounts of water. I 've had to 2 bad eye burns! Both freak accidents !

topcoat

Contributing Member
Scott, I didnt think you guys were going to do links to other sites anymore ?:headshakesmile-fast

Russ

You're not just trying to keep that Ron deal from earlier this afternoon alive are you?

This link is actually relevant to a discussion thats happening here, and its not to another bbs.

And when you say "you guys", it suggests an us and them dichotomy. My impression so far is that's not what this place is about. Thoughts?

Mathew Johnson

Jim,

I too splashed some nasty stuff in the eyes a few years ago, the only thing I had available to rinse with was 150 degree water. We plumbed eye stations into all of our trailers and van after that.

I looked at the wall mount commercial eye wash stations, they are good, but they typically do not have enough liquid to rinse for the recommended time after the chemical exposure.

Russ Spence

Russ

You're not just trying to keep that Ron deal from earlier this afternoon alive are you?

This link is actually relevant to a discussion thats happening here, and its not to another bbs.

And when you say "you guys", it suggests an us and them dichotomy. My impression so far is that's not what this place is about. Thoughts?
whats good for one is good for all:rolleyes:

Mathew Johnson

Eye Burn Pic

Here is a PIC of a severe burn.

Attachments

• eyeburn1.jpg
    eyeburn1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 30

James Foley

Great picture Matt! The most important thing the Doc told me is to flood the eye and keep doing it as Fast as you can !!!!. In the field I decided a bucket of water or like Orr said; a bottle of water so you can squirt it. The Doc sees a lot of chem burns and loss of sight each year ! The eye kits are not good enough or fast enough for me to use. I use them after the water.

topcoat

Contributing Member
Matt

Do most problems come from pressure or chem or a combination of the two? And do many pros wear respirators to try to reduce long term exposure to chemical vapors?

This may be a ridiculous question, but would it be helpful to have a section here on the board that covers precautionary measures and safety?