• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

PW size?

Terry Miller

What equipment has worked best for you, doing flatwork? We presently use a 28" and found we need a bigger machine for a larger unit. We have a 5.5 Honda. If you are using a 32" or 36" are you using a 8gpm? What is working best for you? Thank You.

Rob Huffman

Terry,
I have 2 trailer set-ups that are at the 5.5 gpm and getting ready to purchase one around 11gpm. I like the 5.5 on single axles so I can split up the crew. IMO not all areas need 2 crews or even 2 people. I know everyone says the more gpm the better and to some degree thats true. I actually use the 2 units to clean with surface cleaners and then rinse with a trash pump and fire hose set up. Much faster. A little creativity and some thought has went into this. But it works well. When the trash pump has been taken I have hooked 2 sump pumps with garden hoses to rinse (from the same tank).

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I have a couple of centers under contract and will hopefully be adding several more at the start of 09. The largest center I do now is 13,000 s.f. Until I get more contracts I will stay with my current set up.

Terry Miller

I guess flatwork need some thought. Aspen uses ingenuity, I like that. Not everything needs two people or even a PWer. How true.I have had to rig some real treats from time to time. Dave, I bet your biting at the bullit. You want to be twice as big next year! Maybe I could come work for you? Then I'd at least get paid! LOL

Guy Blackmon

Terry, got our 8g.p.m. unit last week ,it is night and day faster than our 5.5 . We've got a 21" and a 28" . 21" 8 g.p.m you will fly!!!

Terry Miller

Guy,
With 8gpm, do you need a surplus of water in all towns? Does the water ever become a problem? I guess I'd have to check our city water supply for an 8gpm. Thank You.

Rob Huffman

Terry
no matter the size (even as small as 5 gpm) you will probably need a tank. I have seen a "few" spigouts (sp?) that might be capable of keeping up to that but not many. With my 11gpm trailer I will have 2 tanks on that trailer for different purposes rather than one big tank. (I'm in the process of setting this trailer up now) Some of my sites have outside hookups and dont mind me using them even thru the winter. Some however refuse to let me use them so I fill with a hydrant. In this state things vary by municipality. With the hydrant some municipalities have you use a meter and charge per what you use, however there are some areas that you get a (paper) permit and charged a fee for that day (up to a certain level). BTW in that area Sundays are free...So I have always tried to plan that on weekends...Have to be smarter than they are right?

My rule of thumb is figure out how the water usage is going to be before you give the estimate. That way you dont end up eating costs and always always put that in the contract when applicable. It doesnt seem like much right? But for this state the fee can be $135 now I think so if you bid $500 on a bank, gas station, etc you have already lost a fifth of your money.

Hope this all helps...

Scott Millen

Terry, I started out with a 4 GPM machine and, while I don't do tons of flatwork, it has been a part of my business since I was without a surface cleaner. Man, did I get sick of waving the wand at my work!

I bought a 24" Steel Eagle from Steve Rowlett, before I found out they are only 80 miles away from me. Anyway, my little machine was hard pressed with that surfacer, but It was all I knew until this spring.

In March we had a stretch of 10 degree weather that caught me flatfooted when my old van broke down, and that cost me the guts of my Eagle. Next time out, she clogged up and seized.

I rebuilt her in the shop, and switched over to the new 8GPM PP machine in one swoop. I went back to the same job I had broken down on, fired up the new rig, and crossed my fingers.

Well, I opened the ball valve, and AWAAAAAY we went! Got done in a little over a third of the time it usually takes. I can't get over how much more effective 2X the flow is. I love my 8 GPM machine so much, I almost regret buying a 20" surfacer to use as a spare, or for a second man.

Honestly, I haven't used the old machine, or the new surfacer once since bringing the new rig online.

I ought to hire me a kid to run the little rig on smaller jobs, but haven't sold enough work for that...YET!

As Jeff always says, "Life IS Good!":D

Guy Blackmon

Terry,
No water supply is not a problem, I use customers water and have a
525gal tank. But I don't haul water , if I do I charge for it!
Why would you have to check with city on water supply?

Carlos Gonzales

Guy,
With 8gpm, do you need a surplus of water in all towns? Does the water ever become a problem? I guess I'd have to check our city water supply for an 8gpm. Thank You.

Terry....do you guys need to pull hydrant meters from the city to pull water?

As Guy mentioned, we also pull water right from the job site ~ the customer almost 95% of the time. It is just part of us doing business.

Mel Everett

I started out with a 13hp direct drive,as business improved and the size of jobs increased I reworked my equipment. I now use a 30hp kohler 8.5 @3600 hot water, and a 9.3 @2200 that just won't die lol. The 9.3 is used too rinse mostly. I run a 36" maxima and 28" big guy and love them both. I rarely haul water but I run into a few jobs throughout the year that people need me to use my water. I have a 325 gl on my trailer and a 425 gl truck tank.:):)

Attachments

• 100_1510.JPG
    100_1510.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 61

Carlos Gonzales

I started out with a 13hp direct drive,as business improved and the size of jobs increased I reworked my equipment. I now use a 30hp kohler 8.5 @3600 hot water, and a 9.3 @2200 that just won't die lol. The 9.3 is used too rinse mostly. I run a 36" maxima and 28" big guy and love them both. I rarely haul water but I run into a few jobs throughout the year that people need me to use my water. I have a 325 gl on my trailer and a 425 gl truck tank.:):)

Mel...sweet looking set up!! Is your rig set up to run two guns at the same time?

Rob Huffman

Mel,
Looks nice. I am confused with what you said though. You said you have "a" 325 gallon tank and a 425 truck tank right? But the pic shows 2 tanks on the trailer...are they both 325? Just curious as I am seeting up a 16 ft trailer now and am throwing out ideas on exactly what best suits me for all my jobs. I dont think I can get rid of "my beast"...lol. But I did buy a mini version (I am calling this the mini-me version...lol) and put that in a truck tonight. Pumps like 30-40 gallons a minute...its the best when rinsing. I will have to take a pick of it. The cost for the lil pump was only 85$ by the way so I dont think you can beat that when comparing when you do alot of flatwork. I guess I have to get some video footage one day....

Mel Everett

I have a 325gl water tank and a 225gl chemical tank on my trailer. I have a 425gl truck tank that I use when I need to transport extra water. I take the truck tank in and out as needed. I hope this clears it up.:):)