• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Busses pay?

Terry Miller

At the last Mi. RT, Jarrod demonstrated his fleet washing on Busses. It seemed like a great business? Is any one doing busses and what are they doing profit wise? Does it come out to be as profitable as other types of washes? There are plenty of school busses now. How about commercial busses? What is your experiences? Thank You.

Scott Stone

Sorry, I did not see this.

Buses are usually not the greatest account, especially in my area. They typically go for around $7 a piece. Not worth it in my book..

Carlos Gonzales

Sorry, I did not see this.

Buses are usually not the greatest account, especially in my area. They typically go for around $7 a piece. Not worth it in my book..

I agree with Scott. I dabbled in the fleet washing segment of the industry way before the PWNA put out a RFP for the Postal Service. Had 3 locations. Unless you are doing a significant volume I just can't see who one is turning a good profit. Just my .02

Ken Fenner

I never saw this thread, Terry. I have one fleet account and it is 38 50-passenger school buses. We get $32 per bus done once per month with extra on-call washing during winter (for washing off salt). No reclaim, no moving and no toting water. The yard was built solely for washing with multiple 8 gpm spigots and sanitary drains.

Tony Szabo

About 13 years ago we did Buses and got $13 each and did about 30 in four hours with two people. It was a big pain butt at the time, but it paid the bills in the winter. It was done every other weekend.

You ask me now to do the same account for $25 a bus I may think about it. There is much to consider when you are set up to be efficient and stay efficient. But todays time you need to be EPA compliant and that will cost more $$.

At one time back in the day we averaged 600 vehicles or so a month, between postal vehicles, rail road vehicles, buses, phone company vehicles. Its when I was a one man / part timer crew. Business grew and we made better money washing houses, so I let the vehicle accounts go.

Now the run off is a issue if your considering on site vehicle washing.

Damaris Sutton

I never saw this thread, Terry. I have one fleet account and it is 38 50-passenger school buses. We get $32 per bus done once per month with extra on-call washing during winter (for washing off salt). No reclaim, no moving and no toting water. The yard was built solely for washing with multiple 8 gpm spigots and sanitary drains.

I know this is a older thread Ken, but I am wondering how do you get commercial accounts like this and from places like gas stations, banks and such. It always seems like when you have to deal with people who are in charge of the finances of others tends to be more tight fisted. What is the magic open sesame to get the targeted money you are looking for?

Jimmy

Ken Fenner

jimmy, time in the industry helps. Exposure on the internet is another good thing. I don't target commercial work but I do get calls for it. Commercial now only represents 10% of my gross sales. In my opinion, the best way to get commercial work is to knock on doors and get your face out there.

Damaris Sutton

jimmy, time in the industry helps. Exposure on the internet is another good thing. I don't target commercial work but I do get calls for it. Commercial now only represents 10% of my gross sales. In my opinion, the best way to get commercial work is to knock on doors and get your face out there.

Let me ask you Ken or any others that want to chime in. I do get the part about being in the business for so long that people tend to have some sense of ability to transfer their trust to you. Remember what I told you in the past about why my Uncle charged so much to paint a ladys ceiling? He said because he could.

Now I know that everyone gets a no or a slam in the face with the door type of response no matter what equipment they have or rep, but the key would being able to not have that happen which makes me ask. When do you know you have said enough during an introduction? The goal is to get the foot in the door not the door slammed on the foot.

Ken Fenner

There is a technique and a definite way of getting around secretaries, receptionists, hostesses etc. Then there is a right way of getting dialogue open. I'm not going to get into all of that here on this open forum. There are many good training programs and such out there. As well some guys may be willing to share how they get in front of key people.