Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion about our industry?

Default Your opinion about our industry?

Here's an earful....lol

Just curious what your opinion is about the pressure washing industry in general?

Off the top of your head observations!!

Keep it clean and keep it tight ~
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

Default Re: Your opinion about our industry?

This industry has become a home for me, and I started in it at a time when I wasn't sure I'd ever earn another penny again.

Even so, it is just a business to be in, not a lifestyle. I enjoy it, but i don't know if I would enter it, knowing what I do now.

I think it will go the unenviable route of lawn services if we aren't careful to care for our industry.

If i could give the newest guys one word of advice, it would be this: Examine your numbers, decide whether you can make a significant living on those numbers, and get out if the answer is anything but, "Assuredly so."

I say this because I think a number of people are hanging in by their teeth, without a realistic hope of making it. There is no dishonor in trying a business out, and exiting before it gets too bad. That is what you should do if your business is untenable.

There are a million different businesses to own, and many must be easier, or a better fit. It is a mystery why people don't just move on when the signs tell them to.

You haven't failed if you change systems, and if there is no market, you may have to change industries.

I'm not saying that you should give up business ownership, or run from a hard market. I'm saying that you wouldn't try to sell PWing services on a deserted island, you would be in business trying to stay alive. Nobody would call you a quitter then, right?

Well, somewhere between a desert island and downtown Metropolis, USA falls your area. The question isn't, "Can I hang on and scrape by?" The question should be, "Will this area support me in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed?"

I'm not ever going to suggest that anybody just quit the business, far from it, I want you all to join the UAMCC and make a great empire of your business, if you can.

I just think that too many of the new guys calling me are jumping at the chance to spend too much to enter markets that will yield low returns. or worse, entering markets that they only hope exist. This is equivalent to buying a home you can't afford, hoping that you can.

We need to make good business decisions before we commit our fortunes to any endeavor. Without numbers and facts on hand to support your business plan, you are just another person with an opinion.

My opinion on the industry is that we can all make nice livings, and more, if we work together to maintain our profession. But we need a strong dose of realism: We have to be businessmen and women, not dreamers.
    Scott Millen
    Time is the greatest teacher of all, unfortunately, she kills every one of her students.
    Reach me anytime: (402) 670-4214 or scott@stainlessdeal.com
    LABOR OMNIA VINCIT
    www.stainlessdeal.com

Business across the Country in general is going to be tough in 09. As for Pressure Washing in the Residential Market you may see an upswing because its one of the Most cost effective ways for a Homeowner to Beautify and protect there most important investment which is there HOME.

As for Commercial I see it as a tougher sell when so many Commercial Companies will be scrutinizing there own spending habits.

Did I answer that Question Correctly or are you asking what our Opinion is about Pressure Washing as far as importance in our society??

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessDeal View Post
    This industry has become a home for me, and I started in it at a time when I wasn't sure I'd ever earn another penny again.

Even so, it is just a business to be in, not a lifestyle. I enjoy it, but i don't know if I would enter it, knowing what I do now.

I think it will go the unenviable route of lawn services if we aren't careful to care for our industry.

If i could give the newest guys one word of advice, it would be this: Examine your numbers, decide whether you can make a significant living on those numbers, and get out if the answer is anything but, "Assuredly so."

I say this because I think a number of people are hanging in by their teeth, without a realistic hope of making it. There is no dishonor in trying a business out, and exiting before it gets too bad. That is what you should do if your business is untenable.

There are a million different businesses to own, and many must be easier, or a better fit. It is a mystery why people don't just move on when the signs tell them to.

You haven't failed if you change systems, and if there is no market, you may have to change industries.

I'm not saying that you should give up business ownership, or run from a hard market. I'm saying that you wouldn't try to sell PWing services on a deserted island, you would be in business trying to stay alive. Nobody would call you a quitter then, right?

Well, somewhere between a desert island and downtown Metropolis, USA falls your area. The question isn't, "Can I hang on and scrape by?" The question should be, "Will this area support me in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed?"

I'm not ever going to suggest that anybody just quit the business, far from it, I want you all to join the UAMCC and make a great empire of your business, if you can.

I just think that too many of the new guys calling me are jumping at the chance to spend too much to enter markets that will yield low returns. or worse, entering markets that they only hope exist. This is equivalent to buying a home you can't afford, hoping that you can.

We need to make good business decisions before we commit our fortunes to any endeavor. Without numbers and facts on hand to support your business plan, you are just another person with an opinion.

My opinion on the industry is that we can all make nice livings, and more, if we work together to maintain our profession. But we need a strong dose of realism: We have to be businessmen and women, not dreamers.
    Scott..great points all the way around. I share and reflect the same sentiments you type above.

I like your comment about pressure washing being a business vs. a lifestyle. Sometimes that message is not heard enough these days.

I also encourage any business owner ~ big or small ~ to give the UAMCC a careful and fair consideration. Nothing would be more of a tragedy if one would not evaluate the "merits" of what the UAMCC has brought and will continue to bring to the table for contractors to utilize.

Our industry has been in a disarray for many years. Pockets of energy over the years has offered some hope but that hope has been short lived. False promises and empty wishes governed the national stage. The veterans know when I speak of the days when our industry was littered with "How comes?" and "Why's?". These questions still remain today but it is my conviction that there is a solid current of optimism that flows steadily with these very same questions.

The UAMCC WILL NOT be the only answer for the industry. However the contractor or I should say contractors that utilize their business power to empower the UAMCC will be the surge of progress that this industry has waited for!

The secret to our industry does not lie within the foundation of any organization or activity...the secret lies within those that build on it and execute it for the betterment of all.

I am confident that 2009 will be the year of significant change in the pressure washing industry. It has already began. This change is swinging and will continue to swing in the direction of progress and deliberate advances to improve the pressure washing industry on the national stage. New leaders are surfacing and seasoned veterans are dusting off their book of knowledge in which they are saying, "the time has finally come."

Leadership into 2009 will be ever so critical and mandated. I am bias to the UAMCC because I have first hand experience and knowledge of how this association was built....piece by piece...principal by principal. The UAMCC is poised to be a great battleship...indeed it is people!!! The key will be how the crew on this battleship navigates it through the industry!!
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

I've always thought that considering it's so easy to get into this business, and many, many get into it every year, it will probably never get to be known as anything but a fast money business and not a serious line of work. For those who do it on a different level (higher), it is unfortunate.
    I've been doing it since 1996 and at least turned it into something real in my work "zone". I do it in a professional manor and look professional when I get to a job, and that what this service is missing as a whole. I think trying to change the "worlds" perception of these services will be futile. Changing your own markets' mind is possible though. As long as the guy down the street can buy a washer at Lowes and there's water available, it will be infested with knuckleheads.

Jeff
    Since 1996
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Central, Pa
    (814)644-1396 or 1-800-236-0322
    Roof Cleaning Central Pennsylvania
    T.V Commercial

I think that this industry will not be taken seriously by the general public until the CWA is enforced on a nationwide level. Unfortunately this doesn't appear to happening anytime soon. This is the only way I can see the weekend warrior being taken out of the equation. Until that happens, I'm afraid that we won't truly be recognized as an "industry". This year will see a dramatic increase of new pressure washing contractors simply because of the downturn in construction. These guys know how to use tools, and its EZ to throw a pressure washer in the back of your truck and make a few bucks. Since the prez extended unemployment benefits to 18 months, many of these folks will be looking for side work. If I was going to start a business this year, it certainly wouldn't be pressure washing. There are too many other business ventures that would be easier to start on a tight budget. I see handyman type businesses as the real boom this year, and many of them will offer pressure washing as a service.

As for Pressure Washing in the Residential Market you may see an upswing because its one of the Most cost effective ways for a Homeowner to Beautify and protect there most important investment which is there HOME.

As for Commercial I see it as a tougher sell when so many Commercial Companies will be scrutinizing there own spending habits.
    John, I think just the opposite. Residential customers will have a lot more people vying for their dollars, and many know someone who's hurting personally and want to help them out. I think residential work will fall off dramatically, and commercial will hold steady for a while longer. Its harder for newcomers to the "industry", to break into commercial work than residential.

The best way to hold on in this economy is to reaffirm your commitment to quality and service to your current and past clients. Let them know that although economic times are tough, your level of service will remain steady. Hold on to what you've got.
    Mike Schoeben
    A-1 PRESSURE WASHING, LLC
    Serving the Twin Cities Metro area since 2000
    763-300-7128 / Champlin, MN

http://www.a-1pressurewashing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Here's an earful....lol

Just curious what your opinion is about the pressure washing industry in general?

Off the top of your head observations!!

Keep it clean and keep it tight ~
    Good post Carlos,
    I can only offer a opinion from the last 18 years.
    Back in the early 90's I knew very little about pressure washing services and knew nobody that was in the business. I seen a service that nobody else was offering. That's one reason why we started, but when you needed help there was none, or I knew no where to find the help.

To this date of 2009 the education awareness of just about every aspect in the pressure washing industry is here somewhere. Back in the 90's it was hard to find any help at all, but it was there with the older suppliers and equipment sales. I just did not have the network abilities to find them or knew who they were. We started out with re-built car wash equipment on a flat bed truck from my past employer so they had no service plan or help.
    We found and heard hype about a organization that was all Pressure Washing related, I was excited. Then there was so much uncertainty about the organization I was on the fence line of what to do.
    It was by far the best decision to attend a convention and meet people that did and sold products that was related to our business. It changed my life and business direction.

Now, there are Round table Events all over the United States and some conventions. All I can say if you are in the business for the long haul and are serious and want to grow and stay abreast of industry trade You Need To ATTEND THESE EVENTS.
    Take advantage of these Events. If you get into this business and just sit around with the "open sign" on and awaiting for the phone to ring you will have tough times ahead. These bulletin boards are great ways to find information and people also, but if this is your only way to educate yourself its not the best way!

Here is where all of you guys that have under five years in the business need to benefit from, is the education to be offered in our industry. You guys are the lucky ones to have the help. I'm still going to shows, conventions and round tables and still learning every time I go.

One of these guys that helped me along the way, when I was just about ready to call it quits with servicing decks because of the coating failures is Pete Marentay and Chris Detter. They were teaching a wood class at a convention and showed me the light at the end of the tunnel. I listened to their advise and have made sound decisions ever since. Since that convention in 1992 my relationship with Pete Marentay has grown to be one of the strongest assets a business owner can have. (because I attended a show)

The moral of the story is that you need to attend events to make a positive impact on your business and life. Lurking around on the web will not yield you the best results.
    Tony Szabo
    Midwest Mobile Washers
    800-804-7517
    midwestmobilewashers@frontiernet.net
    www.midwestmobilewashers.com

Aside from the flatworkers, I think you guys are OK

I think its a great industry. I do hope some day most people will see it as a true trade

I know doesnt matter if its resi or commercial a hard working person can build a nice business. A lot has to do with location but in most areas of the country if you are hard working and determned you can build a biz that will support you to certain degrees

It has a lot to do with the person and what they want. I do think many of the weekend warriors hurt the industry but full timers can make good money and then you have the companies that have several of even dozens and hundreds of employees

Myself I started very small knowing really nothing, with no formal business training and I have through just plain hard work established a nice business that supports my family. Other than this ecoomy i know I can grow it even more

I love PWing and glad I found this industry

I think the industry is about to make a step to the next plateau. Many of the guys like Ron and all the other old-timers (meant with respect) had to learn things by trial and error. Guys like Tony Szabo from the early times are a testament to business savvy by the meer fact that they are still in business and have grown. There seems to be a new breed of guys entering the industry with more business savvy. I think the timing of an organization (whether it be the UAMCC or other) is right on point. One of the remaining hurdles is showing the public that there is a huge dividing gap between a guy with a pressure washer and a company that performs the service professionally. There is some writing on the wall that this trade can go the way of cuthroat painting.That writing may have been there for years but it seems more prominent now. I'm involved with an org because I don't want to see that happen.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

• Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information