• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

PSI and GPM???

Justin

OK, This might seem like a stupid question but I have asked a few suppliers and keep getting different answers.

Say I buy a 8GPM 5000psi machine. I want to run at 2500psi while washing the house but switch it to 3500psi while washing the driveway then 5000psi while washing the paint off their tin shed. I want to keep the 8GPM flow rate the whole time.

It makes sense to me that I achieve this by changing tips. I have been told that you lower the RPMs adjust the unloader etc. etc.

What is the proper way to do this without damaging my machine?

Thanks,
Justin

Guy Blackmon

Justin, why do you need a 5000 psi 8 gpm unit? I may be wrong but a unit like that would have to be custom made. You should do fine with a 3500 psi 8 gpm unit. But to answer your question, you can achieve the results you want by changing the tips. Larger tips will decrease the psi but still give you max flow, smaller nozzles will increase psi and decrease gpm. I have an 8 gpm unit and use less than 1000 psi to wash houses, concrete 3000 psi and hot water. Just my .02, good luck!!!

Last edited:

Justin

Sorry, I wasn't saying I need or want a 5000psi machine I was just using it as an example. Thanks for the answer.

Do you guys know where I can find a chart on tip sizes pressure and flow rates.

Rob Huffman

Justin,
I would never touch the unloader. You will never get it set back to the same setting. I was told the same when I first started. Just change the tips. Its a whole lot easier to do anyhow...

GMack

Guys,

I was wondering the same thing months ago and never really figured it out. Somone was telling me that the different tips (red, yellow, greeen, white) gave different psi's. I argued that, technically, the psi would be the same holding the wand point blank to the subtrate, that the difference in psi is acheived becasue the different tips are creating different angles so that from six inches away with the pressure is spread over more or less of an angle. Is this right, wrong, or somewhere in between?

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
Guys,

I was wondering the same thing months ago and never really figured it out. Someone was telling me that the different tips (red, yellow, green, white) gave different psi's. I argued that, technically, the psi would be the same holding the wand point blank to the substrate, that the difference in psi is achieved because the different tips are creating different angles so that from six inches away with the pressure is spread over more or less of an angle. Is this right, wrong, or somewhere in between?

The color of the tip only denotes the spray angle. Red = 0 deg, yellow = 15 deg, green = 25 deg, white = 40 deg. The psi is regulated by the orifice size for any given tip. A typical white tip for a 3500 psi/4 gpm pwer would be 40040 or possibly 4040. The first 40 is the angle and the last numbers are the actual size of the tip - in this case 04.0 or 4.0. Tips come in many sizes, in fact, many times I will use a 40120 (40 deg and 12.0 size) to lower the pressure without lowering the gpms. Hope this helps.

Ken Fenner

Every change in pressure is done with your nozzles. There is rarely any reason to adjust your engine's throttle or the unloader.

Nozzle changes affect two things.. pressure and spray pattern.

Spray pattern (the different colors on plastic nozzles): The width of the spray that leaves the nozzle. Its measured in degrees. Its a double digit number and is the first thing to read when eyeballing a nozzle. 4015 (40 degree spray pattern, #15 orifice)

Pressure: This is affected by the size of the orifice. The larger the number, the larger the orifice. 4015 (see above) Note: I am indicating a #15 orifice. One could also read that as a #1.5. The technical designation should be 40150

Here is a chart. Some charts are confusing, This one is easy to read. To make it easy, look at the column that starts 2.0. That column is your gpm. If I wanted 3500 psi, i would need a #2.0

yhst-6302467517443_2043_3084103

Good set of Charts. Not everyone knows about this page. Allot of information Gene. Been waiting for someone to refer to it .

This information will answer allot of questions.

GMack

The color of the tip only denotes the spray angle. Red = 0 deg, yellow = 15 deg, green = 25 deg, white = 40 deg. The psi is regulated by the orifice size for any given tip. A typical white tip for a 3500 psi/4 gpm pwer would be 40040 or possibly 4040. The first 40 is the angle and the last numbers are the actual size of the tip - in this case 04.0 or 4.0. Tips come in many sizes, in fact, many times I will use a 40120 (40 deg and 12.0 size) to lower the pressure without lowering the gpms. Hope this helps.

It does help a lot so thank you and thanks guys for the charts, too. I just pulled two different sets of tips I bought at seperate times last year and, indeed, they are different orifice sizes.

topcoat

Contributing Member
Bob W. helped me with this very issue in December. He walked me through identifying the right tips to help tame the beast I bought from him to do lower pressure washing.

Danial William

Hi,

You can't really say. The flow rate (perhaps measured in gallons per minute) depends on the details of the entire plumbing system between where the pressure is applied and the exit. When I say details it means thing like the total length of pipe, the internal roughness of the pipe (which changes over time) and even how many bends and how they are laid out in the pipe.

Access to our user friendly database,Ability to change your trades and distance preferences in your profile,50+ REO property

preservation companies to work with (private list)
for more details, Contractor Support Online

John Doherty

Hi,

You can't really say. The flow rate (perhaps measured in gallons per minute) depends on the details of the entire plumbing system between where the pressure is applied and the exit. When I say details it means thing like the total length of pipe, the internal roughness of the pipe (which changes over time) and even how many bends and how they are laid out in the pipe.

Access to our user friendly database,Ability to change your trades and distance preferences in your profile,50+ REO property

preservation companies to work with (private list)
for more details,