• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

How to bid 2 story roofs....

Scott Davis

Guys, I am having a debate with my wife on how to bid 2 stories. Do you:

1. Measure the outside of the house to get the exact square footage of the roof, or...

2. Use the entire square footage of the house?

Don M.

Guys, I am having a debate with my wife on how to bid 2 stories. Do you:

1. Measure the outside of the house to get the exact square footage of the roof, or...

2. Use the entire square footage of the house?

Scott, regardless of one story or two story, we measure the whole house then x by a multiplier for pitch.

If its unwalkable, we throw a pita factor in there as well. I just bid a front side only 10/12 pitch. The front was 80 ft long. My wife says I'll get it, but I dont know. It wasnt cheap.

Ken Fenner

Scott, the pitch definitely has to come into play. Think of yourself as having the ability to put your thumb on the roof's highest peak and flattening the roof. Sort of like a tent.. if you lay it out flat, it takes up more square footage than it does when it is pitched. This is why you need to use a multiplier when factoring pitch.

Here is a good article I found on measuring.

http://www.newenglandmetalroof.com/roofing-estimator-guide.html

Scott Davis

No no, I understand the pitch and we add one from 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4. But what square footage do you use?

Like this:

3000sqft 2 story house. Its a big square, so if you measure the bottom floor and top floor, each would be 1500sqft so the roof if it was flat would be around 1500 sqft.

So do you take 1500 and multiply it by 1.3 for the pitch or do you use the entire 3000sqft and multiply that by the pitch?

Chris Tucker

Some inexperienced people in roof cleaning will take a 3000 sq ft home, and because it is a 2 story, will divide the sq ft in 1/2, and only charge for 1/2 the sq ft. They take what could have been a 500.00 job, and turn it into a 250.00 one. The fall from 2 stories up may be fatal, or at least paralyzing. We give them perhaps a little break, but never cut a dangerous roof cleaning job right in 1/2.

PressureWashE

Hmm, When we were doing roofs, we would go Sq/ft of the Entire House, X 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 up to 2.0 and multiply it by our price per Sq/ft, Ive never done a roof under 600

cmturner

We use the footprint of the house for the square footage times the multiplier. That will give you the sqft of the roof then times our per sqft price. Which for a two story is higher than a single story. Why in the world would you use the sqft from multiple floors to figure the price.

Completely just an example but it would be like having a three story parking garage and the PM for some weird reason only wants the top level done but yet you still figure the price based on the total sqft of the garage.

Chris Tucker

It is really bad here in Tampa with either inexperienced people bidding roof cleaning jobs, or just outright cheap workers ?
Here is how they will often do it. They will just take the houses sq footage, and not the roofs, or the garage, and times it by whatever floats their boat at the time. I have seen 2500 sq ft houses done for 250.00 that had 3 car garages, and large hip roofs.
Either some of the roof cleaners in Tampa don't know what they are doing bidding jobs, or they are running low or out of beer/drugs ? All it takes to ruin a whole subdivision forever is for a few neighbors to get done for a stupid low price.
Then when people who know what they are doing bid the normal 375.00 for a job like this, all people can remember is Joe and Bill got theirs done for 250.00.