• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

A question about Aluminum Siding

Don M.

Went and did a estimate tonight. Half Brick, half alum siding. Saw something funny and ran my hand across it, the palm of my hand was white from the color of the siding, like a chalk dust. The brick had white run marks where it looked like rain had been running down the siding onto the brick.

My gut tells me if I wash this, I am going to be in trouble with the paint coming off. I am right?

Terry Miller

Don, It is chalking. Old paint deteriates over time. It chalks. If you wash gently, you'll remove the chalking. Any use of too much pressure, you will remove most of the paint. I'd test an area where you can use low pressure and see the results with your work. First notify the customer of the possibilities. The paint will wash off? If they agree and don't hold you harm, try it. If they don't agree to a test, walk away. Chances are they need a paint job. If so, give me a call. We will travel! LOL

Scott Millen

I have run into very little of either of these situations, but I'm here to tell you that chalking aluminum or vinyl isn't something I'm in a hurry to deal with.

This is one that I would price specially, with plenty of discussion and testing beforehand. I have rolled up to and seen firsthand a score or more homes with chalky siding (especially blue, red, and yellow it seems) and there are inevitably wand marks. I think you can spend an eternity trying to get a wash like that right.

On the brick, I have seen but never actually worked on what you are talking about.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody that has. My first thought is Eacho-chem, but there are other suppliers with products that may work well. In my area, you rarely see vinyl or aluminum alongside brick these days.

Jeff Wible

Oxidized vinyl siding is much easier to handle than oxidized aluminum. The vinyl is the same color all the way through, where as aluminum is paint on top of either bare shiny aluminum or the green primer that is used by some manufacturers.

Most guys who've run into this over the years can pretty much tell what's going to happen by just looking at it and the "hand" test. Sometimes, if they're VERY dirty you can at least tell the customer it will be worth the trade-off and let them decide.

Best advice on this situation is to not sugarcoat.
These type of jobs have to be sold for what they are.

Jeff

Terry Miller

Jeff,
Absolutely correct. Never sugarcoat any job. Don, will you be in Albany? If so, I can help you make more money dealing with this situation. Passing is the best you could do in your situation. Red Flags :redcard:= Death of our businesses. Thank you.

Don M.

No Terry, I am going to be at "The Big One" I hear about now and then. Hopefully it comes to light..

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully I will see you soon.

Jim Chesmore

I just inspected a complex with 30 buildings, almost all are aluminum... I should have the bid together by wed... The oxidation was not very bad because the guy that washed them last year blasted it all off and left plenty damage to prove it.

Jim Chesmore

I will take the pics if I get the job.

My mix is SH, and a little SC, I was thinking about adding some Mr. C to the mix to give it a little more umpfh but I am not to sure how it will react with the aluminum, if at all??

Anyone tried that?